cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International SMS from abroad?

Kcbass
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I have an unlimited international SMS plan. Unsure if this allows me to send/receive SMS messages to/from international numbers whilst I am abroad?

12 REPLIES 12

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

From my reading about this on some other forums, the behaviour as you observed it (being charged "roam like home" immediately with no apparent usage) is a new by-product of VoLTE. Since VoLTE requires some sort of packet data connection to support it, even if not using "billable data" it is now much harder to avoid triggering activation of "roam-like-home" unless you intentionally disable VoLTE.

I'm sure that have changed over the time and it might be different now than couple years ago when I used it last time.. Also I think that I did have VoLTE disabled all the time, but still was charged. The only way for me (at that time) to avoid charge is to put my phone  in 'Airplane' mode or take SiM out.. My kids that have 'data only' plans were charged too as soon as they connected to cell towers in Tokyo (we took out cards few min after).

@Camera4617 wrote:

For 'roam like home', I had that and as soon as my provider connected to any of the towers internationally, I was charged daily fee which was expensive. So, I'm not sure how would I then receive 'free SMS' when I was already charged for 'roam like home', but that could maybe depend on the provider..

From my reading about this on some other forums, the behaviour as you observed it (being charged "roam like home" immediately with no apparent usage) is a new by-product of VoLTE. Since VoLTE requires some sort of packet data connection to support it, even if not using "billable data" it is now much harder to avoid triggering activation of "roam-like-home" unless you intentionally disable VoLTE.

Camera4617

@Nezgar wrote:

@Camera4617 wrote:

That's what it means for any provider, not only Public Mobile. There is no plan (as far as I know) that would include texts from any location to any location in the world. 

Most post-paid carriers allow receiving texts while roaming internationally for no additional fee. It won't even trigger the popular "roam-like-home" type daily fees. But as soon as you answer or make a call, send a text, or use data that's when the roaming charges kick in. 🙂

I appreciated the free incoming SMS when I was with a post-paid carrier while travelling internationally as I could still receive credit card transaction notifications from my bank for no cost.

But alas, not with Public Mobile, at least outside of Canada/USA...

@Nezgar  We are not talking about 'roaming' and only receiving messages for free (which is new to me) as that is an option available with any post-paid provider. Question was about texting from/to any location in the world included in the plan, not extra cost. For 'roam like home', I had that and as soon as my provider connected to any of the towers internationally, I was charged daily fee which was expensive. So, I'm not sure how would I then receive 'free SMS' when I was already charged for 'roam like home', but that could maybe depend on the provider..

As for 'Norwegian provider' that offers that, I was referring to Canadian cell plans and I would like to see what 'premium' you have to pay to include unlimited texting to/from any country in the world. And I don't mean only developed countries, but any. 

@Camera4617 wrote:

That's what it means for any provider, not only Public Mobile. There is no plan (as far as I know) that would include texts from any location to any location in the world. 

Most post-paid carriers allow receiving texts while roaming internationally for no additional fee. It won't even trigger the popular "roam-like-home" type daily fees. But as soon as you answer or make a call, send a text, or use data that's when the roaming charges kick in. 🙂

I appreciated the free incoming SMS when I was with a post-paid carrier while travelling internationally as I could still receive credit card transaction notifications from my bank for no cost.

But alas, not with Public Mobile, at least outside of Canada/USA...

Kcbass

Btw, my Norwegan operator provides that service but obviously at a premium...

Kcbass

Thanks. Assumption is a killer ..

Camera4617

@Kcbass wrote:

So Unlimited International Text means that I can only send/receive texts to/from International numbers only when I am in Canada? 

@Kcbass 

Correct.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kcbass: Yes. Public Mobile only works in Canada or roaming in the US.

Kcbass

So Unlimited International Text means that I can only send/receive texts to/from International numbers only when I am in Canada? 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Kcbass   No, you won't be able to receive any text or send any text from aboard

For US, you might be able to receive text but not send text without any roaming package.  To send text in US, you will need a proper roaming add-on

If you are travelling, you might want to download VoIP app TextNow.  You can pick a Canadian phone number and then you can send text to US and Canada for free and receive text for free,.  All you need is Wifi or Data connection 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM only offers roaming in the US.  You would need to purchase a local sim or use Wi-Fi apps like Textnow or Signal. 

Need Help? Let's chat.