cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was really thinking, as the Pandemic has by far taken it's Toll

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

Even IF/ WHEN things calm down, I still think that some things should be considered

Take, Let's say Pandemic eventually runs course and ends, let's say, end of Summer 2022, and PPL travel, I honestly think that PM needs to really consider expanding the List of Countries on the Roaming Add-On list, as sometimes when emergencies arise, Cell service is more than ever the Life Blood and life saver

Now even if PPL think it's too much, compare it to when you have to check into Hotel Quarantine and the cost of that.

Just saying, even Telus can't possibly put the $$$$ before everything else, as if another Pandemic, or Outbreak, sometimes the Cell is the ONLY thing that can save a life, information and more.

Just saying, some things may eventually need to be considered essential at some point.

Better to have peace of Mind than the Nail-biting pacing about.

I'd be willing to pay, at least reliable and it works

Also, what's the difference between VoLTE and Standard Talk quality?

20 REPLIES 20

it's scam... 

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious "E-sims? These are already embedded in your phone when you purchase it. From what I have read about them I don't really see the advantage to the consumer. But @BearFBI seems into them so maybe he will pipe up."

E-sim might be useless to some but beneficial to others. Most smartwatches only use E-sim so that may be a deal breaker. Its also way easier to setup and just requires a digital e-sim code. Some phones also only have 1 SIM slot but support e-sim as well so having 2 sims can be useful. 

Its also REALLY easy to signup. There's an app that offers data plans in canada. Just download the app download the SIM and boom, Data. The app is called Airalo.

@makkahn28 wrote:

BUT, the Measures that are in place need to stay, and also a stronger deterrent for those who think the pandemic is a myth or some nonsense, as I know a few people who have had caught it, and it's quite distressing and nerve wrecking 

Agree!!!  unfortunately not everyone think the same as us.. many still think it's just a flu ..  😞 

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@makkahn28 difference in voice quality between 3G and VoLTE depends on the codec used. Don't quote me on this, but I think EVS has the best quality, and it might only be deployed on VoLTE.

https://www.3gpp.org/news-events/1639-evs_news

VoLTE has other advantages, such as faster call setup time, not relying on 3G at all, being able to use LTE data while on a call, and other stuff like native carrier video calling. An LTE network can also handle a lot more calls on VoLTE than a 3G network with legacy CS calls, so overall system capacity is better.

Low band VoLTE on B71 for example, should have better coverage than 3G due to MIMO, UL COMP, and other enhancements.

OMG, another Variant?

So, the Regular CORVID, then UK, then South African, the Brazil, Then Japanese, now Nigerian.

And they say the Nigerian strain resistant to current Vaccine?

This Pandemic is by far not yet finished, it's JUST picking up Steam

This does require that the Colour coded system, and that Masks being worn, they need to become part of the New Normal, as this can at least slow down the illness, BUT that stronger methods needed, like ONLY traveling IF essential, and mandatory Quarantine, as I think that this Pandemic will remain for possibly throughout 2022, hoping not into 2023

BUT, the Measures that are in place need to stay, and also a stronger deterrent for those who think the pandemic is a myth or some nonsense, as I know a few people who have had caught it, and it's quite distressing and nerve wrecking 

@softech wrote:

@makkahn28 wrote:

I think real effectiveness is actually between 60-76, maybe early to o mid-80's, and that I think the Measures in place currently need to be Semi-Permanent to ensure that everyone is safe and being proactive is key to healthy success

effectiveness is one thing and all the new variants is another concern.  Just read today that current vaccine does not work with the Nigeria variant.

Thus the reason to not travel right away as we are in a bad position in Canada from any inbound traveller. 

@makkahn28 wrote:

I think real effectiveness is actually between 60-76, maybe early to o mid-80's, and that I think the Measures in place currently need to be Semi-Permanent to ensure that everyone is safe and being proactive is key to healthy success

effectiveness is one thing and all the new variants is another concern.  Just read today that current vaccine does not work with the Nigeria variant.

@makkahn28 , for your concern yes.. Roaming is the best option.. but you should also get a VoIP number setup (like Fongo) before going on your trip.. Yes  it's still need data to work.  but that gives you another way of communication just in case

you mentioned local SIM not work.. actually, i have the opposite experience.. Local sim actually work well.   For example, I got one,  "Three"  in UK.. actually worked quiet well and I could use it all over Europe.  I definitely think it is better than roaming, not just it is cheaper but a reliable solution.   I guess you just need to do some research and find a provider that work well where you travel.  

FYI, you can actually get the SIM here before you leave Canada , some mobile shops sell oversea SIMs

I also am quite aware that the Vaccine 2 dose or one dose, I am obviously not convinced of its effectiveness.

They say 95-97% effective, but that in a controlled setting, not real world

@makkahn28 I'm pretty sure you will still need the phone to be unlocked. then you can use it overseas etc. there are esim plans already and you can purchase plans for different countries

this is for a data plan

esimdb.com/canada

I know zip about an ESim. But hopefully it would offer dual, triple, or quadruple SIM options. 

As long as Jack Bauer can't find thee, I'm fine.

BUT, in theory, If phone has built-in E-Sim, is phone locked to specific carrier, or is it like a Universal and that it can be used with multiple carriers?

Just wondering as it sounds like the CDMA era lol

esim is 'embedded sim' meaning it's a sim card built into your phone 😯. no more taking your sim card out so you can't be tracked. everywhere you go, 'they' will know 👍

@makkahn28 

FYI....to address/tag a particular member just tap the "@" key for a box to pop up with usernames in it. Tap the name or keep typing for the name you want to pop up.

My knowledge of e-sims is limited but the way they work is not the way you think....perhaps someone will jump in to explain them better than I can.

Just curious, when you mentioned that E-Sims come programmed on phone, sounds like the O'l CDMA days.

How would E-Sims work? if you had your own device, how would it be pared to a Carrier?

Just wondering.

Also, if E-Sims do become reality, at least that may make having Local Sims from other countries a lot easier instead of having to carry all those Sims, hard to keep track of, Phone No., all that

So far, PM has met and exceeded my expectations and I can't be more happier and hoping PM stays around for Years to come, Like 20-40 years more.

@makkahn28 

Me too....I love the idea of not having to pay a phone bill ever again! That affords me a nice little vacation every year or a fabulous oversees vacation every few years. ( Hey sis get ready for some company in that beachside condo in Portugal next year!) It sounds like you need to do a little more research before purchasing a local/global sim product. I already know that with the UK's cheap mobile pricing that I will either preorder or purchase my simcard/plan from there keeping in mind that not all providers offer the european mandated roaming they once did before the UK left the european union. But it also means I get to hit the duty free shop!

E-sims? These are already embedded in your phone when you purchase it. From what I have read about them I don't really see the advantage to the consumer. But @BearFBI seems into them so maybe he will pipe up.

I see voLTE coming eventually maybe even within a year to pm given the unexpected changes with telus' delivery of voice services in Winnipeg and Brandon. This will probably speed up the implementation of voLTE for pm customers than was originally planned by telus. Those of us lucky enough to still have access to full speed 4G LTE certainly appreciate it (though I rarely use it as the 4G LTE throttled speed more than covers 99% of my data needs.) Pm may indeed start offering full speed 4G LTE again as a premium product seeing as they think offering province-wide calling and canada-wide calling at a premium is giving us more choice then actually offering us more choice in data speed would mean they are listening to their customers wants and needs and keep them competitive. 

Edit: Here's a better explanation of voLTE with the link supplied by @Nezgar ...

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte

When it comes to postpaid service thats just wishful thinking.... but you can always add it to @maximum_gato 's (myThe Community's Public Mobile Wishlist it may come true.....but I learned a long time ago that you may be able to put an Hyundia engine in a Dodge Colt to get you home but thats as far as its going to get you.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Community/The-Community-s-Public-Mobile-Wishlist/m-p/...

Hi. I meant when it's justifiably safe to travel, Not before.

Also, as my Mother used one of those local sim when she traveled, and it didn't quite work, Data only, Calling out didn't work, and Incoming calls were spoty at best.

Just saying, I'd be more than happy and willing to pay for Add-On Roaming, at least it's reliable, works, and it's not exactly an open wallet, Buy what you need, Prepaid Roam method better than Postpaid Roam.

Also, forgot to ask, what are those new Digital Sim cards?

Heard of them, was told they were different from the Physical Sim Card

Hoping PM will be open to expansion of services and options and products, like LTE Data reintroduced, VoLTE, even when 5G takes hold, Hoping PM will upgrade to 4G LTE and not that 3G speeds on 4G LTE Network.

Just saying, as I am Happy with PM and have No intention of leaving and as I always get my Phone's from Amazon and so far have had no issues, Just wanting to see PM perhaps taking its Rightful place on the World stage, perhaps even when they are quite established and stable, a Online ONLY version of Postpaid service, Like how they do their Prepaid, But Postpaid, No Call Center, and expansion of services to boot.

PM is quite a marvelous and great experiment, like the Excelsior on Star Trek, PM being that Excelsior, just requires a Transwarp Drive to boot.

So far, PM has met and exceeded my expectations and I can't be more happier and hoping PM stays around for Years to come, Like 20-40 years more

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@makkahn28 wrote:

Even IF/ WHEN things calm down, I still think that some things should be considered

Take, Let's say Pandemic eventually runs course and ends, let's say, end of Summer 2022, and PPL travel, I honestly think that PM needs to really consider expanding the List of Countries on the Roaming Add-On list, as sometimes when emergencies arise, Cell service is more than ever the Life Blood and life saver

Now even if PPL think it's too much, compare it to when you have to check into Hotel Quarantine and the cost of that.

Just saying, even Telus can't possibly put the $$$$ before everything else, as if another Pandemic, or Outbreak, sometimes the Cell is the ONLY thing that can save a life, information and more.

Just saying, some things may eventually need to be considered essential at some point.

Better to have peace of Mind than the Nail-biting pacing about.

I'd be willing to pay, at least reliable and it works

Also, what's the difference between VoLTE and Standard Talk quality?

Travel...be careful......2 vaccines doesn’t mean anything with the variants, length of vaccine coverage, and boosters required for Canada and a super booster for international travel. And will the pandemic become what some say...an endemic.  No way I am getting on a plane, train or boat till we see it all unfolded and under control. Not to mention travel insurance coverage and cost. But for your suggested MORE roaming....that’s a push.....why not have an unlocked phone, study the costs of prepaid plans for your destination beforehand and buy a SIM at the destination air port. BETTER to just think and plan ahead. 😀

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@makkahn28 

The basic difference between the voLTE and standard talk is the network they are delivered on... 4G LTE vs 3G but @sheytoon can explain the techno jargon best in layman's terms. As far as the request for more roaming options.....

While having more options for the US would be good since the 10 day options can be quite expensive for longer duration trips. Once we return to "normal" perhaps pm will again offer the previous limited  time only $60 Canada/US plan which included not only calling to the US and 8gb of data but unlimited US roaming talk/text and 2gb of data as well at bargain price of $60. Any similar type plan would be welcomed with open wallets by pm customers that travel frequently to the US for business or pleasure.

I think the price of the 10 day roaming options is reasonable when compared to other providers roaming prices they are indictive of how much more it would cost for pm to negotiate roaming options in other countries for what would likely be a small percentage of pm's overall customer base. Just the negotiation itself would be an expense I would rather not see pm outlay that could be better spent elsewhere on service or website iimprovements.Then there would be the cost of the roaming options themselves....that most pm customers with their tight wallets would be unwilling to fork over when we know we can already work around having no international roaming options available to us. 

With a little preplanning using the call forwarding options, calling and texting apps such as fongo and textnow and purchasing global or local sim cards can fufill the want of international roaming options very effectively and more importantly very inexpensively compared to having the convenience of high priced "peace of mind" options. Using these "work arounds" on a 10 or 14 day vacation or business trip could easily save you enough money to purchase a pretty decent dual sim phone which would  help you travel and use two sims making staying in touch while traveling internationally almost seamless. A dual sim phone would allow frequent trips to the US using a mint mobile account for cheap data, calling and texting a pm sim could still be used for free incoming texts or left at home for call forwarding or many other possibilities that don't require you to open your wallet and keep it open.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire
Need Help? Let's chat.