cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help cancelling an account that I’m paying for for someone else.

matt_hallick88
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was helping a friend out during a rough time pay for his mobile. He’s gone rogue and I can’t get access to his account but I need to cancel the plan.

12 REPLIES 12

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Putting CC on hold when renewal date is approaching will suspend friends account but friend can log in to his account and manually pay if card is on his file.

Cashback is not good idea if CC is used for any other PM account as it will cause trouble for everybody else.

Contacting agent and explaining situation will be the best approach. It might be tricky as agents usually require to deal with original account owner but you can ask to deal with manager if needed.

matt_hallick88's only option with a Public Mobile is to ask the CSA to remove the credit card.  I sympathize with the situation but unless it's matt_hallick88 's name on the account, any attempt to gain access to the Public Mobile account is unauthorized and shouldn't be encouraged.

@maximum_gato wrote:

That will open a whole host of problems if you are also a public mobile customer.

@maximum_gato  or OP can change the credit card OP used on his/her PM account here.  But I have a felling OP is not a customer here

You can try verifying the account and asking customer support to remove the credit card without actually giving you access to the account. Private message me for info on how to do that.

I think if OP can get through the verification process, maybe OP has enough info to reset the account. 

Just open a ticket with PM Support and tell them the email address changed and ask them to change the email address on the account and reset password.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@matt_hallick88 

I would not suggest a chargeback. That will open a whole host of problems if you are also a public mobile customer.

You can try verifying the account and asking customer support to remove the credit card without actually giving you access to the account. Private message me for info on how to do that.

Or you can cancel the card. If it's a bank issued credit card you can get the replacement card sent to your branch for pick up in 3 business days.

@softech wrote:

@JK8   you know what, since the friend has gone rouge, I would suggest OP to do a charge back on the credit card.charge.  Account will got suspended immediately and PM will not allow credit card payment for 12 months

@softech  - I was going to mention the chargeback, but then I was concerned this same card was connected to other Public Mobile accounts. Which would then affect those accounts as well...edit, at least, I think it would.

So, be aware of that @matt_hallick88 , if this is your case.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@JK8   TBH I don't know how the hold would work for PM if the card is registered on account and yep, I'd probably would cancel the card if it was mine (or tell the CC company to issue a new one as mine was lost or something), or as suggested earlier contact CSA's to remove the card as long they can verify who it belongs to. 

@JK8   you know what, since the friend has gone rouge, I would suggest OP to do a charge back on the credit card.charge.  Account will got suspended immediately and PM will not allow credit card payment for 12 months

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@dabr 

Would the OP have to keep his card on hold for the entire 90 day duration from the renewal date? Once the hold was lifted off the credit card after the renewal date, there is nothing stopping the friend from making a manual payment via the credit card since it is still on file.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@matt_hallick88 - it is your credit card you say? Does this card also pay for any other Public Mobile accounts?

If this was me, and my card was tied up to an autopay or even entered on an account for someone that went 'rogue' I would submit a ticket with CSA and see if you can pull that card from that account.

You should be able to prove it is your, after all.

Public Mobile Representatives customer support agents (CSA), by either two methods, found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@matt_hallick88 

Call 1 855 4PUBLIC and enter your friends 10 digit phone number to access the basic account info. You can then put your card on hold before midnight eastern on the night of his renewal. You can remove the hold by noon eastern the next day. You can always call his number first to confirm suspension.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Yeah @dabr suggestion is really the only way you can go since you can't access the account and PM won't be able to help you as they won't be able to authorize you on someone else's account. I guess it couldn't hurt to reach out to a CSA and explain the situation and point out the name on the card is different then the account holder and tell them you put your card on hold, maybe they can manually remove out an abundance of caution

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@matt_hallick88   How was you paying for his phone number? 

Put your CC on hold until his payment renewal date has passed and once payment cannot be debited from your card, then your friend's account will deactivate after 90 days of non-payment from the last payment due date, unless he chooses to keep his account paid by another method.

Need Help? Let's chat.