cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm one of 3 guys in Canada without a cell phone... is this the place to be?

bcsteeve
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Ok, stop laughing.  

I'm cheap, what can I say?  I've always figured people were insane to pay what they pay for a cell phone.  We get screwed here in Canada.  We all know it, but somehow I'm the only one that didn't jump on board.

Then I see this $40/mo deal and it seems much better than I've seen whenever I've looked before.

First thing I do is ask my friends if they think its a good deal.  To my surprise, they were all "meh" about it.  Isn't it a really good deal??

One of my friends breaks it down for me like this:

He pays $140/mo for two lines and that includes a Pixel XL phone for him and a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 for his wife (they got the phones at offset times).  They have 6GB to share each month, NA calling, Global text.  To me, $140 seems crazy... but is it?  Over 2 years (contract to get the phone) that comes to $3360.  They also got $300 as a cash card at Costco so that's $3060.  I'd have to get two of these promo plans which over 2 years comes to $1920.  A difference of $1140.  That's a lot, sure, but what are those phones worth?  Google tells me roughly $1800.  Ie. he has a much better deal, assuming you want the high end phone.

Am I missing something?  Is he not telling me the whole story (maybe I misunderstood and the cost of the phones isn't included?)

*IS* this $40 promo *REALLY* a good deal not to be missed?  Or should I continue in the dark ages?   LOL.

- Steven

(ps. I work from home.  I'm here most of the time anyway with access to web and landline.  Of course I do go out and a phone would be handy, but it isn't as critical as it is to many)

33 REPLIES 33

jairolevi
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Me too me too!

"Further to that... I realized a long time ago that I derive enjoyment out of "finding the deal""

I am guilty of that too!  But I had to set up a limit or I would spend entire weekends comparing deals.

I now give myself a few hours, or a day, to research and compare and I MUST make a desition at the end ( the desition might be to not get the deal for instance but at least that is a desition )

JL

jairolevi

Link: http://www.fido.ca/consumer/tablets

I was able to receive sometimes verification texts with TextPlus, Burner app worked better but it is paid.

I eventually got fed up of not receiving verification texts from apps ( Like Uber ) when registering.  I used Fongo, Voip.ms, textplus, burner app, etc...  So what I did ( and still use for a few more weeks until I port my number to the Fall2016 promo plan ) is I have my number with Speakout and my Data with Public Mobile...

Now with this promo it does make financial sense to port the number form SpeakOut to Public Mobile, since I pay about $8 bucks a month with Speakout and around $25 for Data with PM.

Even if I had data with the Fido SIM only SIM ( $15) I would be paying around $25-$30 per month (Speakout + Fido).   So for around $10 bucks more a month ( less on autopay ) I consolidate my services with PM only AND I get a lot more data!

Now, for the extra trick... I have a bunch of referrals, so my consolidated PM service would be around $23 a month, so it is actually a bit cheaper than my current setup.

Thank you,

JL.

@bcsteeve wrote:
Two things... can you link to that Fido plan?  I don't see it.

And one of the annoyances I've had in the past few months with not having a mobile phone is signing up for things.  

bcsteeve

Thanks.  Pass 🙂

ps.  Click See Full Details and it says jan 10, 2017. 

ckl

@bcsteeve I looked for that plan on the Fido site and the only thing that I can find comes with a lot of restrictions. Scroll to the bottom to find the data plan price.

Fido Tablets

First of all, they say it's a "limited time" promo although I cannot find how long limited means. Secondly, you need to purchase a tablet using EasyPay. Thirdly, to be eligible for EasyPay, you need to be an eligible Fido customer (existing postpaid wireless customer). Then there are the fees.

bcsteeve

@stonechucker wrote:

There is nothing saying you have to answer your phone when it rings.

Sure there is.  Social ettiquette?  Morbit curiosity?  A sense of belonging and self worth?  There's no reason to click "like" on anything either, but people do it.

I jest (mostly) but the fact is we had to waste government time and pass actual laws to slightly curb people texting while driving... clearly there is a draw that defies common sense.  Why would I be any different?

bcsteeve

@jairolevi wrote:

Hi @mike390

It took me a while to understant this since I am a Saver ( thrifty or cheap ) by nature.

Sometimes I would spend whole weekends researching for deals just to save 5 dollars a month on a bill.  Now I understand that sometimes is not worth the time but I still struggle to put a "STOP" to my obsession for savings.

So I think that the same way for me saving $5 a month might not be significative, for some other people saving $40 a month might not be worth it...  that is how I have come to find a fragile inner peace when some people "dont get it" lol.

JL.

@mike390 wrote:

Alot There are also people who just dont care about getting a good deal on things in general.  I failt to understand why but people can do what they like.

Further to that... I realized a long time ago that I derive enjoyment out of "finding the deal".  I'll sometimes spend hours to end up saving $5.  In hindsight, no of course it wasn't worth it. However, I didn't know it was only $5 when I started and there's times I save significant amounts of money.  But there's always "thrill in the hunt".  That's how I justify it.  It is a form of entertainment, if not satisfaction.  That has value on its own.

bcsteeve

@jairolevi wrote:

If you are cheap and you dont call much you could use a Fido internet only SIM ( $15 for 3GB, Postpaid ).

Then call with Hangouts ( Free calls in North America ), Fongo, WhatsApp calls, etc.

Two things... can you link to that Fido plan?  I don't see it.

And one of the annoyances I've had in the past few months with not having a mobile phone is signing up for things.  I went to Vegas this summer and couldn't sign up with Lyft, for example, because I didn't have a proper number.  I do have SMS via VOIP and also a TextNow number, but none of those support "short code SMS" so they can't be used for verification.  More and more things use that. Even my gmail account wants me to add a mobile number so they can verify me.  I've tried with my home number, my SMS-enabled voip number and my TextNow number and they never get through.  If I use data-only am I going to still run into that?

jairolevi

What I do is I DONT GIVE OUT my cell number ( only dad, wife for emergencies,,, definetely didnt give it to mom, she talks too much hehe )

When people call me at home ( VOIP, freephoneline.ca ) and leave a VM I get it on my email, so I can callback if I want to, but people can't call me directly.

People can text me via whatsapp (configured with the home number) but if they try to call me at the number it goes to the home phone

I know... I am evil... and probably will go to hell for not giving mom my cell #.

JL>

@bcsteeve wrote:

I don't like the idea that people can get hold of me at their schedule rather than mine.

jairolevi

Hi @mike390

It took me a while to understant this since I am a Saver ( thrifty or cheap ) by nature.

Sometimes I would spend whole weekends researching for deals just to save 5 dollars a month on a bill.  Now I understand that sometimes is not worth the time but I still struggle to put a "STOP" to my obsession for savings.

So I think that the same way for me saving $5 a month might not be significative, for some other people saving $40 a month might not be worth it...  that is how I have come to find a fragile inner peace when some people "dont get it" lol.

JL.

@mike390 wrote:

Alot There are also people who just dont care about getting a good deal on things in general.  I failt to understand why but people can do what they like.

jairolevi

@bcsteeve wrote:

Ok, stop laughing.  

I'm cheap, what can I say?

If you are cheap and you dont call much you could use a Fido internet only SIM ( $15 for 3GB, Postpaid ).

Then call with Hangouts ( Free calls in North America ), Fongo, WhatsApp calls, etc.

Texplus for text, or WhatsApp.

I used a very similar setup ( Tbaytel SIM, $120 a year for 20 GB a year, but NOT LTE ) and it worked really well.  All I really need is Data, I very rarely call, dont text ( I use WhatsApp )

Now with the referrals I pay around $23 dollars a month for the $40 Gb Plan, a bit more money but it is LTE and I get free calls ( kind of wasted.... because I dont call often but a Data only plan would be more expensive )

OR you can do as I did, get the plan and star referring people hehehe.  I won't stop until my bill is $0 !

Thank you,

JL

@bcsteeve

There is nothing saying you have to answer your phone when it rings. I have my phone on silent, sometimes with vibration, sometimes without, and I just let it ring away until I'm ready to look at it.  It'ss not the phone that makes people disengage, it's the person who isn't interested in paying attention to what's going on at the moment, and is distracted by the bell or whistle or shiny thing.

Sure, I have a few conacts who have specific ringtones that I will answer immediately, but I need to have them ring twice for me to answer in that situation.  If I'm in a meeting, the meeting is most important, and I'll leave a number when I can be reached in an emergency, otherwise it goes to voicemail.

My time is important to me, and I will not let someone distract me from what I need to be doing.

bcsteeve

@Luddite wrote:

You're good to go with your Blu on 3G, but not LTE. (per http://willmyphonework.net) Still you have it, you like it, so seems you can just go ahead. 

Good luck.

Oh yeah, you're right... it isn't LTE.  An LTE version was on the horizon when I bought it but I didn't care because I wasn't using a SIM anyway (oops). 

@daredogg wrote:

@Luddite I didn't know you had a phone with SpeakOut! I like that your money doesn't expire for 365 days. My sister is teaching in Shanghai and wanted to keep her Ontario number, so I set her up with that carrier.

Yes, it's the only sensible choice for an emergency phone for reaching more than 911. You can even get a new (usually unlocked) flip phone with $100 credit for only $130. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Luddite I didn't know you had a phone with SpeakOut! I like that your money doesn't expire for 365 days. My sister is teaching in Shanghai and wanted to keep her Ontario number, so I set her up with that carrier.

You're good to go with your Blu on 3G, but not LTE. (per http://willmyphonework.net) Still you have it, you like it, so seems you can just go ahead. 

Good luck.

bcsteeve

@daredogg wrote:

@bcsteeve $0 at signing, doesn't mean there's no 2-year agreement. They'd still be on the hook for whatever cost is spread over the 24 months.

Well sure, but then that would be in the $140 figure.  

But I think he just misled me.  I don't see how he would have gotten an XL for $0 judging from everything I'm reading.

@bcsteeve Well then I can tell you for sure, given the experience of myself, my daughter and my sister, that the way to go is 100% cellular with some sort of backup (in my case that's fongo.com on my iPod and speakout7eleven on an old flip phone). 

To be sure of the promo activate a plan now, then wander about next week looking at phones/features and take the plunge! 

Plus;  it's 100% expense, no capitalization required. Fingers crossed it doesn't create a loss carry forward! Robot LOL

bcsteeve
Thanks for the excellent reply, mike.  One question though...
@mike390 wrote:

get an iPhone on Orchard

What's Orchard and is it just for iPhones?  I don't think I'd go Apple.  I'm already familiar with Android.  I might consider a Windows phone.  Or I'll just stick with the Vivo I already have.

bcsteeve

Oh, and I forgot to mention... i already have a capable phone.  I've had it for a year or so.  I use it as a mini tablet mostly.  It is a Blu Vivo Air.  It should suffice while I try this out anyway.

bcsteeve

@Luddite wrote:

If you refuse to abandoned your landline, why do you want a cell phone at all?

Strange choice of word.  "refuse"??  

Anyway, i wasn't accurate on that.  I don' t have a landline.  I have a voip line.  Pros and cons that come with that.  When I have an outtage... I have an outtage!  I have no communication whatsoever when the power goes out.  That is extremely rare, but yeah it sucks.  That's one reason I want a cell phone.

Mostly I don't want a cell phone.  I don't like the idea that people can get hold of me at their schedule rather than mine.  I don't like how other people behave with cell phones, and I don't see why I'd be any different.  I shake my head how people are glued to them.  But if I had one, I'd be glued to it too.

Then there's the convenience.  My wife having a way to get hold of me when I'm out.  Or... my kid started school this year.  When I go to run errands, is his school trying to call me about an emergency?

But that balances with:  we had no cell phones when I was in school, and I survived. 

Lol... I can go back and forth all day long.

bcsteeve

@eazybelle wrote:

If you've managed all this time without one, you may not need a cell phone. [...]Will you use all the features of the high end phone?  

I don't *need* one - I've proven that much thus far.  I don't think there are many people that truely *need* them.  I run a small technology business (so I'm not luddite) and that even requires some travel and I've still found ways to get by without a mobile phone.  But I have to admit, one certainly would have come in handy many times and there's also the "shame" factor, especially given that I live and work in a world of tech.  Although, in that same light, it becomes a bit of a talking point  🙂

Will I use the high end phone?  The thing is, if I'm going to get one then yes... I believe I would.  I think I may have given the false impression that I'm a little old man who's been lost to advancements.  Far from it.  But I also know that anything I can do on a phone, I can do better on a full-fledged computer.  Just not portably.  So yes, if I want to jump in... I'd just as soon have as capable one as is practical.

mike390
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Alot of the "meh" responses ive seen are from people who dont want to go through the hassle of switching or are very nervous about losing their "special plan" because their current carrier mad ethem jump through hoops toget it.  There are also people who just dont care about getting a good deal on things in general.  I failt to understand why but people can do what they like.

For your first phone plan, this is perfect. Its a good deal, and its on a reliable and fast network with good coverage (Telus).  If you need to buy a phone outright, get an iPhone on Orchard or look through Kijiji for a second hand Nexus 5x or Nexus 6p.  Both should be around the 200-350$ mark right now second hand.  If you want the bare minimum shoot for a Nexus 5 (not 5x), you can easily get one for $100 second hand or $150 online.  Nexus devices are all unlocked by default so you wont have to worry about it not working on PM.

Most if not all phones that come out today will cost close to 50% in about 10-12 months.

@bcsteeve $0 at signing, doesn't mean there's no 2-year agreement. They'd still be on the hook for whatever cost is spread over the 24 months.

bcsteeve

@kevinl wrote:

did they get the phones for $0 at signing? that makes a pretty big difference

for example, in BC, with Telus, the Pixel XL is $350 on a premium plus plan. 

He made it sound like it was included.  So yeah, I was expecting that meant $0 at signing, but maybe I misunderstood.  That would make a big difference.

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

If you're looking at the fact the phones are subsidized as part of the $140 per month your friend is paying, you have to remember the purchase price of the phone is spread over 24 months. And remember, the price of the phone is cheaper for the carriers then it would be to the general public. That $900 Pixel XL might cost the carrier $600. At that price it's costing you $25 to pay for the phone (if not more). Some people in here have broke down the costs, and in the long run, the carrier makes about $100 to provide the phone to you.

With Public Mobile, you need to bring your own phone, so basically you're paying for the bare bones services. You pay for what you need, and nothing more. I believe the term "no frills" is what's used to describe a carrier like PM. When you buy an unlocked phone outright, sure it'll cost you a lot more, but it doesn't mean you need to start with an iPhone 7 that's $1050 outright. @Jsauter mentioned an Xiaomi phone for $200. I've seen the newest Blackberry offerred on Amazon for $400. Just remember to separate the "phone purchase" from the "phone service" when trying to figure out if something is worth it.

$40 per month (and actually $38 per month if you enable autopay with your credit card) is a pretty good price for 4GB of data... but remember, it's province-wide calling. That may not affect you if you don't travel out of your province. The other thing to consider... when PM gets overwhelmed like they have with this promotion, unfortunately customer service won't readily be available. If you have no issues, then you can bypass all of that, but when you do need help, just realize customer service is provided through this community forum by one of the moderators or by email. You'll need to be a patient man!

I am like you that I work from home, and I find I only use maybe 300MB of data in a month. In my case, I'm thinking I'll skip the promo and stay with the 1GB per month plan (spread over 90 days), which ends up costing $35 per month with autopay ($105 each 90 days). Taxes will be charged on your first renewal (not on the initial payment).

My suggestion to you... if you don't need all the data, save yourself even more money... don't go with the promo, but instead the 1GB data plan. If you're okay with province-wide calling, skip the Canada-wide (saves you $5 per month).

...and hey, if you decide to get a phone... there will only be 2 guys left in Canada without a phone!! Robot tongue

@bcsteeve Better think some more about your phone needs vs wants. The promo is the best deal around IF you want lots of calling, lots of texting, bunch of data while away from home.

If you refuse to abandoned your landline, why do you want a cell phone at all?

Here's some biased, because it's from me, thoughts:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/SECURITY-OF-SERVICE/m-p/23214#M4783

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/How-to-replace-the-old-90-day-90-plan/m-...

Adding more detail about YOUR needs vs wants for a cell phone will improve the advice you are given here.

My personal experience suggests the BIG savings arise from ditching the landline and then finding the least expensive suitable smartphone combined with the least expensive cellular plan. If you have NEVER had a smartphone, the experience of my friends/family suggests it's easiest to pay the piper and get an iPhone; or if you go data only a mini-ipad.

Just keep asking questions until you have more than enough info. Everyone at Public Mobile is frugal and willing to forego stores as well as support from a call centre. There is a myriad of ways to manage your phone/travel needs.

eazybelle

If you've managed all this time without one, you may not need a cell phone. There are cheaper plans out there. Get a package that offers what YOU NEED. But when we are specifically talking about this promo plan from Public Mobile, yes it's amazing for the price. I've never seen the features offered at this price point in such a long time. Even some retention plans cannot match it.

Sure, your friend's plan is okay. What's nice about being on contract is that you get a subsidized "high end" phone. Like @kevinl mentioned, your friend is likely paying at least $300 for those phones. So your calculations are a little off. 

Same with phones, you get what works for you. Will you use all the features of the high end phone? 

kevinl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

his username is BCsteve so I'm assuming he lives in BC

imcphers
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Something doesn't seem right - have a look at the Costco page (I looked in Ontario because that is where I live) - you don't get the phone for 0$ you have to put out $350 -> $550 (depending on the carrier) - so you would need to add that into the cost.  I also didn't see a $300 costco rebate - best I saw was $50.00 when signing up with Bell.

Are you looking in a different province?

Jsauter

I doubt it.  Looks like the pixel is sitting between $200 and $400.

Need Help? Let's chat.