cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling to Canada - Does Number Change?

CLStitch
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Greetings!

Later this month I will be traveling to Canada for a week from the US. I would like to take my unlocked phone with me and use it while I'm there. From what I understand, the process is that I simply purchase a Public Mobile sim card and plan and insert it once I cross the Canadian boarder. 

My first question is, once I do this, will I have a new phone number while in Canada or will people from the US be able to continue to text and call me using my previous US number?

Thank you and take care,

-Carla

12 REPLIES 12

@AnonymousI would assume not every bank card will work (Public still has issues with some Canadian cards!)

Vouchers would be safer bet

@Anonymous wrote:

@Luddite, The new/revised KB article Self-Serve Account Management indicates that US cards are supposed to be accepted.  Whether it actually works, now that's another story.

. . .

Registering a Credit or Visa Debit Card

... We accept credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express) and Visa Debit cards that have been issued by Canadian or American financial institutions and are associated with addresses in Canada or the U.S. If you are using a payment card, leave the apartment/suite number in the payment information section blank.

Many people will buy prepay vouchers from the store to top up @CLStitch

@CLStitch wrote:

Thank you for your time and quick response. Only Canadian credit cards? Yikes! That's tough. Thanks!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The knowledge base has come a long way in recent times.  It's very reliable now.   Smiley Happy

@Anonymous Thanks.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luddite, The new/revised KB article Self-Serve Account Management indicates that US cards are supposed to be accepted.  Whether it actually works, now that's another story.

. . .

Registering a Credit or Visa Debit Card

... We accept credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express) and Visa Debit cards that have been issued by Canadian or American financial institutions and are associated with addresses in Canada or the U.S. If you are using a payment card, leave the apartment/suite number in the payment information section blank.

@mimmo wrote:

Luddite are you sure about the only Canadian cards. I thought this topic came up the other  day and both Canadian and American were accepted, other international cards were not.

It's in my, somewhat defective, memory bank, but corrections are welcome. Robot wink

@CLStitch If you have some time before departure, send me a private message. Perhaps we can work something out. Private Messages - viewing and creating

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Luddite are you sure about the only Canadian cards. I thought this topic came up the other  day and both Canadian and American were accepted, other international cards were not.

CLStitch

Thank you for your time and quick response. Only Canadian credit cards? Yikes! That's tough. Thanks!

@CLStitch wrote:

Second question. Ha!

So just not when trying to order my sim card online, I could not change the country from Canada in the shipping details. Did I do something incorrectly or does this mean that Public Mobile will not ship sim cards outside of Canada?

Thanks and take care,

-Carla

Sadly, true. PM ships only to Canada and accepts only Canadian credit cards. Options:

a) go to a Walmart in Canada to open your account. If you purchase a voucher closest to the cost of your plan they will accept any form of payment and register the voucher to open your account.

b) go to WOW Mobile kiosk in Canada, pick up a SIM; go to a Canadian Tire gas station and purchase a voucher. Activate yourself online.

c) have a friend in Canada do it all and reimburse them.

d) get a US carrier offering free roaming in Canada as part of their plan. https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/global-roaming-which-carrier-is-best

PM is not yet internationally friendly. Robot Frustrated

CLStitch

Second question. Ha!

So just not when trying to order my sim card online, I could not change the country from Canada in the shipping details. Did I do something incorrectly or does this mean that Public Mobile will not ship sim cards outside of Canada?

Thanks and take care,

-Carla

CLStitch

Thank you for the help and quick response. It it appreciated.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

A Public SIM will always have a Canadian number

Since number is irrelevant to you; make sure to take an AB number (cheaper since less tax!)

And choose a plan that lets you call the USA of course

Need Help? Let's chat.