cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got a new business line - it calls random people

Trnvibes
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I got a new work line phone number and I keep getting calls saying I called them. Can someone fix this. It's been happening since I activated my phone and it's really annoying for the end user ans myself. 

4 REPLIES 4

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Unfortunately as mentioned it is most likely just spoofing. I got a scam call with an automated message about my account having suspicious charges and to press 1 to dispute the charges which I know is BS..when I called the number back I got on obvious personal cell numbers vm, so he prob got spoofed too. Just have to hope it passes fairly quickly and usually does as these scumbags want to keep changing the number as they go. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Trnvibes 

There is not much you can do about this....within a few days the scammer will move onto a new set of phone numbers. More often than not the phone numbers being called or spoofed come from the same telephone exchange. Have you noticed that the people calling you back have the same area code and exchange as your phone number? Just tell them your phone number is bring spoofed and they are likely next on the list for the same problem. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Trnvibes i think is is just Caller ID Spoofing

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/telemarketing/identit.htm

It could happen to any phone numner.  Those scamers are not really targeting your number but more trying to fake a number similar to the one who receding the calls and happened that they made up a number that is yours

It could also be the last owner of this number is a "popular " person . LoL

You can try to pick a new number.  you can change 4 times per cycle.   But if you think that can avoid caller ID spoofing, it likely won't work. Scamers made up random numbers and one day they will make one with your new number.   

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Trnvibes    Sounds more like your number is being spoofed.  Not much can be done, unfortunately, other than notifying the people who are getting these calls that it's not you or changing your number (PM permits 4 number changes per 30 days).  However, there's no guarantees changing numbers will stop this kind of issue.  Usually this stops by itself after a few weeks as these spammers find another number to spoof.

Need Help? Let's chat.