cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get a SIM

artemca
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I want to buy a Public Mobile SIM for a new phone.

According to get-started, I have 3 options to buy a SIM: 

Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 4.22.34 PM.png 

I ordered on Amazon, but the shipment is getting delayed and it shows that the product is no longer available. They don't charge you until product is shipped.

I tried to visit Telus store, but they said that Public Mobile SIM is no longer sold in Telus stores and recommended to check Walmart. I checked - they no longer sell Public Mobile SIMs. 

According to Telus and Walmart shops, Public Mobile is closing and SIMs are no longer sold and only existing accounts are going to be supported no new registrations. Is that true?

Should I try buying directly from Public Mobile?

Considering that Public Mobile site is outdated still recommending buying from Amazon and Telus, I am afraid I can be charged but nothing will be shipped if Public Mobile is no longer selling SIMs.

12 REPLIES 12

artemca

Update.

In multiple replies it was said that Telus or Koodo stores should sell SIMs, but not every might have it. The one I visited misled me saying Telus no longer sells Public Mobile SIMs.

As recommended, I called another store and they indeed had a SIM. Problem solved. Thanks community for quick answers and recommendations.

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

ONLY Telus Corporate stores sell SIMs. 

PM is confusing everyone.  Not everyone can tell what is a Corporate store and what is not

@freek wrote:

don't joining public bad service

Based on what!!

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

ONLY Telus Corporate stores sell SIMs. 

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Freek...It's not that the service is bad.  It's just you don't know what you're doing.  

artemca

Thank you for the recommendation. Called other Telus store and they indeed have SIM in stock. Will try with them.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile is NOT closing their business!

It is just bad sales people trying to persuade you to sign up with them. Bad apples everywhere.

You can order from PM, wait time is 1-3 weeks. You can check ebay. Or just call (before you go) every Telus/Koodo store in your vicinity.

HI @freek   you sound like a regular member here.. are you the one we all know? 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Oh gosh, what a rigmarole you are going through.

Telus or Koodo should have public sims available. But call locations close to you to confirm they have any first before you go and waste your time.

You can certainly buy direct from public mobile online. It could take 3-5 days, or up to 3 weeks as it goes regular letter Canada Post normally.

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire

@artemca hi telus is giving you some bad info probably trying to sell you their product, all telus and koodo stores should have them, to buy on this site you may have a two or three week wait 

freek

don't joining public bad service

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @artemca   The Telus agent was wrong.  Walmart won't have it. Check another Telus or Koodo store.  Or maybe call first and make sure they have it before you head over

Need Help? Let's chat.