cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does my 3Gig data promo last? Does my plan data get used first? New plan?

publicuser123
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi I have three questions, how long will my 3GB Data Bonus last for? Will it continue past this month if not used?

Also if I buy a data addon SIMon told me it would last until used up?

And finally I am thinking of downgrading my plan to save money for a bit.  I want the minimum phone + min data, or I may even do a no data plan + a data addon, I will be pretty conservative with it and just use it for ubers a bit of google maps.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

publicuser123

@darlicious thanks I will keep an eye out for that on my next cycle that would be nice 

@Triguy wrote:

Bonus data and add-on data will remain in your account until used up and rollover to the next month.

The $15 plan will give you 250 Mb with autopay and the $25 plan will give you 500 MB and additional 500 MB with autopay

@Triguy 

You may want to clarify in your solution that not all bonus data "remains" on your account rather that bonus data add ons roll over and bonus reoccurring plan data resets so as to not confuse future readers seeking an answer.

@publicuser123 

1/1 indicates its a data add on. Chances are it will remain on your account after your renewal and plan change.

Spoiler

Here is some more tips on data usage that can help you conserve data usage and/or find where high data usage is coming from.....

1. Turn your data saver on.*
  2. Set your data tracker to the correct calendar dates of your 30 day cycle.
  3. Set your data warning. ( I set mine to 25% of plan data**.)
  4. Set your data limiter. (I set mine to 50%.**)
  5. Turn off all background data in your app usage settings.***
  6. Set video content to play on wifi only ( or off altogether) in each individual app's settings.
  7. Turn off wifi assist for iPhone or the Android equivalent.
  8. For low data plans turn off mobile data and turn on when needed or to download MMS.
  9. Use free wifi when available.
  10. Double check that your phone is connected to wifi. Your phone can sometimes not automatically reconnect to wifi after rebooting, resetting or leaving/entering a wifi area.

*Android and iPhone's data saver tools work differently it is prudent to check settings in each phone's apps for such things as your photo app for device syncing, backing up etc.... Note: viewing or searching for backed up/stored photos can use considerable mobile data.

**Public Mobile sends out a text from 611 giving a warning at 75% and 95% of total data usage. If you have data add ons these warnings include both plan data and add on data.

**So if you just have 1gb of plan data you will get a warning at 756mb/1024mb and 973mb/1024mb. However if you have 1gb of plan data and a 5gb data add on (1024mb+5120mb=6144mb) these warnings will recieved at 4608mb/6144mb and 5837mb/6144mb respectively.

**This is why setting your data warning and limiter is important so that an errant app's sudden usage can be noticed and/or stopped by your phone's data usage tools rather than relying on pm's limited warnings system.

***Background data can use up to 38% of your data that is pure wastage.

Get in the habit of taking screenshots of your overview page and payment history before and after renewal for record keeping and checking that your data and/or limited minute/text counter resets.

publicuser123

@HALIMACS ok thanks for the info

I switched my plan to the minimum $15/mo which is pretty good actually.  It will take effect next billing cycle next month and remove my 3Gig promotion which is fine.

I will buy an addon maybe 1Gig to go with it and enable data saver on mobile. Thanks

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@publicuser123 wrote:

Hi I have three questions, how long will my 3GB Data Bonus last for? Will it continue past this month if not used?

And finally I am thinking of downgrading my plan to save money for a bit.  I want the minimum phone + min data, or I may even do a no data plan + a data addon, I will be pretty conservative with it and just use it for ubers a bit of google maps.

Thanks

@publicuser123 

There are no plans at Public Mobile that do not include a data component.   All plan data expires at the end of the cycle, however add-on data rolls over indefinitely until the data is consumed.

The $15 plan gives you unlimited texting & incoming calls from anywhere in the world.  It only provides for 100 minutes outgoing calls within Canada, though.   

Re data, it comes with 250 MB data which is the minimum available.

If you're only going to use it for UBER and Google Maps, you might find that free wi-fi areas will help with this.

Regarding using Google Maps, be sure (when in a wi-fi zone) to download maps of the areas you frequent so that you can use Google Maps offline when navigating in those areas.  You can download as many maps as your device's storage will allow and rely on it to navigate WITHOUT using data or wi-fi.   The only limitation is real-time traffic conditions.

publicuser123

@Triguy ok thanks that makes sense, I will probably try the minum plan + addon (and see if my bonus carries over)

@dabr ok thanks sounds good, thanks I will read them

@hTideGnow it says Current Plan Cycle 1/1

@darlicious thanks I will disable background data

Ok I'm looking into it now

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@publicuser123 

It depends whether it's a bonus data add on (rolls over each 30 days until completely consumed.)

Or bonus reoccurring plan data that will reset each 30 days and last for as many months indicated or forever if unlimited as long as you don't change your rate plan

A bonus data add on usually is stated in the terms and conditions of the promotion that it will be lost if you change plans. However thru member experience 99% of the time the add on stays on the account after changing plans. This is YMMV so you must take the risk that it could be lost but is probably unlikely that it will be.

Screenshot_20211121-095254~2.png

This is a bonus data add on.

Screenshot_20210816-164900~2.png

This is bonus reoccurring plan data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@publicuser123 

plan data first is will be use it and then Add-on will be start until used up, and no expiry for Add-on.

for more information about Managing Your Data Usage visit  Here link to save your data...

and turn off background data, to save your data.

when your data limit used all, is will be off until next renewal cycle,

at public mobile 30 day Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,

@publicuser123   BTW you'll need to read the terms of your bonus data at activation as some conditions suggest that a change in plan (especially a down grade of plans) will mean you forfeit your bonus data.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@publicuser123   When yo logon to My Account, does the 3G Bonus data promo appear under My Promotions?  if so, it will show you if it is reoccurring and how many times left?  For example, if it  shows 3/8, then it is 8 months promotion and the current one is the 3rd one and 5 more left

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@publicuser123 wrote:

Thanks

@publicuser123    If you're conservative with data usage (i.e., mostly on WIFI) then the add-on data (edit: inc. your bonus data) can last weeks, months or even years to deplete.   Sounds like the $15 plan with 250MB data, plus another 1GB add-on data would be suitable for your needs.

And if we're lucky again this year and PM carries on with it's tradition (last couple of years), then you and the rest of us might get some bonus data plus LD international mins added to our accounts over the next few weeks.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Bonus data and add-on data will remain in your account until used up and rollover to the next month.

The $15 plan will give you 250 MB with autopay and the $25 plan will give you 500 MB and additional 500 MB with autopay.

Edit If reocurring bonus data then it will reset every 30 days.

Need Help? Let's chat.