cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I port my number to Koodoo when my phone service is suspended

Shelby4
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

As in title, phone service suspended because no funds. I purposely let funds run out so I could switch to Koodoo. 

Koodoo advised I require PM service to port my number, as PM will send me a text confirming I agree. The issue, is that I have no funds on my account with PM. Further, PM has blocked my  credit cards so I cannot pay with those; I need to pay with vouchers. 

Issue is that no places now sell vouchers; I've tried all within a one hour radius, and the Telus stores have advised they will not sell PM vouchers. 

So, I have no way to add funds to my account, to be able to get service, so that I can get the text that I agree to port my number.

I work in a business where I require my number to stay the same. I've had it for over 10 years; moving it company to company. Any solutions? I've submitted a ticket but have not heard back and am not confident they will be able to assist because they have been useless thus far with everything else that has came up during this process.

15 REPLIES 15

@Shelby4   courious, " they restored service long enough for me to get the text to port.",

So, you don't have to pay?

Shelby4

@dabr @computergeek541 @esjliv Thank you Community for your help. I followed up with Public Mobile and they restored service long enough for me to get the text to port. I will be signing over to Koodoo but thank you all for your help. You've all been more helpful than most CS reps (but shout out to Catalina!). I will be leaving you all now - stay safe and take care.

@Shelby4   Did you do a chargeback on your CC with PM recently?  Just trying to get clarification regarding the mention that PM had blocked your CC.  If that happened, then it could be more complicated and might need to be sorted first.

@Shelby4 wrote:

@computergeek541 @dabr @esjliv  I have the option on Koodoo self serve to initiate the port; would that work? I'm seeing this message when I am about to initiate the process online: 

No, that won't work because as you were saying earlier, you would have no way to answer the text message from Public Mobile to authorize the numer porting. You must have Koodo customers service manaully go through the porting procedures regarding intercarrier (Telus/Koodo/Public) suspended prepaid accounts.

@Shelby4  - you won't be able to receive the public mobile SMS while in Suspended status. But yes, go ahead and proceed.

So this is where your ticket to CSA will need to be assisted with. They will need to approve it through their 'back channels'.

Shelby4

@computergeek541 @dabr @esjliv  I have the option on Koodoo self serve to initiate the port; would that work? I'm seeing this message when I am about to initiate the process online: 

Heads up!
1. Don't remove the SIM card from your previous provider's phone just yet.
2. Ensure the phone is on, so you can reply to the SMS from your previous provider to confirm your transfer to Koodo.

@Shelby4 wrote:

Koodoo have no solution because it is a public mobile issue. I've followed up already but it hasnt been much time. I just know they are going to say I have to add $ to the account. Not once have they been helpful, so I have no hope here. I am wondering if there are workarounds.

Please contact Koodo Mobile and ask specifically for them to look for the policy regarding porting from a Telus or Public Mobile suspended prepaid account.  As from my previous message, Telus policy states that they are to perform the number porting.

@Shelby4 wrote:

As in title, phone service suspended because no funds. I purposely let funds run out so I could switch to Koodoo. 

Koodoo advised I require PM service to port my number, as PM will send me a text confirming I agree. The issue, is that I have no funds on my account with PM. Further, PM has blocked my  credit cards so I cannot pay with those; I need to pay with vouchers. 

Issue is that no places now sell vouchers; I've tried all within a one hour radius, and the Telus stores have advised they will not sell PM vouchers. 

So, I have no way to add funds to my account, to be able to get service, so that I can get the text that I agree to port my number.

I work in a business where I require my number to stay the same. I've had it for over 10 years; moving it company to company. Any solutions? I've submitted a ticket but have not heard back and am not confident they will be able to assist because they have been useless thus far with everything else that has came up during this process.

Unfortunately, you were provided incorrect infromation. It's a matter of Telus policy that nmbers can be ported from Telus, Koodo, and Pubilc prepaid accounts to a new Telus, Koodo, or Public account even if the prepaid account is in suspension.  This also meanst that that the text mesage authorization needs to be set aside.  You're going to need to contact Koodo again as they need to initiate the process.  Assuming your account with Public Mobile is still open but just suspended, you do not need to make a payment to port your number.

@Shelby4   Just to clarify are you asking about a PM SIM or a payment vouchers?  The SIM is only available at certain official Koodo/Telus stores or online.

Shelby4

@esjliv  You aren't wrong. I'll keep trying, but I am exhausted. I've had such trouble with this company - every week it is something new. I'm tired of fighting and following up.

@Shelby4 wrote:

Koodoo have no solution because it is a public mobile issue. I've followed up already but it hasnt been much time. I just know they are going to say I have to add $ to the account. Not once have they been helpful, so I have no hope here. I am wondering if there are workarounds.

@Shelby4 - I would be persistent with public mobile representatives. As I understand it, there are supposed to be ways to port to either Koodo or Telus from a suspended Public Mobile account. Perhaps CSA dissuade it, but I am sure it is doable.

Also, I would ask them that they transfer any Available Funds in your public mobile account to your new Koodo account. What is the harm in asking this anyhow?

Shelby4

@dabr I have visited every possible location within my area, and phoned others. Apparently, there was a recent takeover and now these providers will not sell PM vouchers. I even received a list of places that sell from PM last month, visited each, they no longer sell them. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Shelby4   Vouchers are usually available at many retailers like Canadian Tire, SDM, London Drugs or Shell.  You can also purchase from muskbird.com for a small fee.  The funds can be added to the account by dialing 611 on your phone.  edit:  7/11 also sell PM vouchers.

Shelby4

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Shelby4  - connect with the Koodo people about this.

And, I'd also submit a ticket to the Public Mobile customer support group to let them know what you'd like to do.

­­­Public Mobile Representatives customer support­­­ agents (CSA) can be contacted by either two methods, found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

Edit, sorry you said you submitted a ticket. Go to your SENT folder under your INBOX and reply to the message you sent to ask for a followup.

Need Help? Let's chat.