cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Long Does it Take To Get Up and Running

RJ64
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

First time Public Mobile customer and this has not been an easy or pleasant experience so far. I wanted to transfer my old phone number over to Public and made the request. The screen timed out and I e-mailed the Mods as recommended after viewing these pages. 

Someone got back to me and they were helpful as things have progressed, but by the end of the day my number still wasn't ported. I woke up this morning to find that my previous network had terminated my service but no service from my Public Mobile sim. 

I've sent numerous messages today asking what is happening but no response. The first message today was sent over 5 hours ago. 

Has anyone else had such issues trying to join Public Mobile? 

I've been trying to get this done since 1PM yesterday so over 24-hours to port a number and in the meantime no phone service. 

What if my car breaks down on the way home tonight or I get into an accident? 

I've never had number porting take longer than 10-15 mins before; this is insanely poor. 

Thanks Public!

38 REPLIES 38

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@RJ64 wrote:

The mods got back to me to tell me the back-end has been sorted. 

A final reset and I am now able to make and receive calls, text , and surf the internet. 

I was also able to complete my self-serve sign-up so it looks like I'm all set. 

I was ready to give up on Public by Friday but I must say the community here are wonderful. 

I want to thank everyone that has taken the time to post suggestions and tried to assist. 

@RJ64   Great news...thanks for the update  😊

RJ64

The mods got back to me to tell me the back-end has been sorted. 

A final reset and I am now able to make and receive calls, text , and surf the internet. 

I was also able to complete my self-serve sign-up so it looks like I'm all set. 

I was ready to give up on Public by Friday but I must say the community here are wonderful. 

I want to thank everyone that has taken the time to post suggestions and tried to assist. 

@RJ64 

It looks like you tried most of the community forum's troubleshooting ideas.  Might need to just wait for moderator intervention.  

Do you have access to your self service account?  If you do, you could try the following:

Might want to try two tricks that might re-activate/reset your plan:
1.  Report your phone lost/stolen in self service account.  Logout.  Wait few minutes.  Login.  Report your phone found.
2.  Manually add $1 into your balance. 
These actions sometimes will reset your SIM/re-activate account. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/SOLUTION-My-plan-has-enough-f...

RJ64

Yes I've made contact with the mods who got back to me quite quickly. The issue is being looked into. 

I've done a factory reset on the LG earlier which has not worked. 

I've checked the APN settings against the ones listed on Public (which both phones pulled down automatically), and created from scratch. 

@RJ64 

Are you still in conversation with the moderators? 

Have you already done a factory reset? 

RJ64

No data as yet, in my phone's info I can see that it is reporting the right number and that I'm connected to Public. 

I've tried resetting the device and network settings, as well as the airplane mode toggle as suggested on both my unlocked LG G6 and Google Pixel 3a. Unfortunately no changes on both handsets. 

@RJ64 

@RJ64 wrote:

Okay an update, my phone is now showing that it is connected to Public Mobile!

I cannot make calls however or cannot be called. Tried calling my number with my wife's phone and it goes straight to voicemail. 

Trying to call out I get a Public Mobile voice message saying calls aren't included in my plan. 

I'm so close now yet so far. 😞

Getting closer.  What about text or data?  Hopefully, you will get fixed by today. 

As you are waiting for moderator help

Might want to try 

Reboot phone

network reset

toggle airplane mode on, then off.  

RJ64

Okay an update, my phone is now showing that it is connected to Public Mobile!

I cannot make calls however or cannot be called. Tried calling my number with my wife's phone and it goes straight to voicemail. 

Trying to call out I get a Public Mobile voice message saying calls aren't included in my plan. 

I'm so close now yet so far. 😞

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@RJ64 Its an extremely rare issue for a number port to happen like that. That is not just for Public. Its for all carriers. It would be better to have live support to figure this out but even if you did they would hangup on you and called you back a day later because they would have not been able to sort it out on the spot. Its just the pain of porting a number. It applies to all carriers.

@RJ64 wrote:

Still no service yet. 😞

I've had to give work my wife's number to call if they need me this weekend. It looks like the only way I can be reached on my phone is going to be WhatsApp via wi-fi. 

As emergency backup try my standby - the app from fongo.com for free calling on wifi. TextNow and Google Hangouts are other possibilities. 

Hope it gets sorted soon.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Barbie2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@RJ64 wow this sounds like a terrible experience to me. I was up and running in less than 15 mins after I moved my number over from Bell mobility. My data, text and calls all worked. I received a text from Public Mobile that my new PIN number was **** 

And I have not looked back since. ❤

harshad

I just got my PM up and running in less than two hours. I was porting in a number from Lucky Mobile and in accordance with the suggestions here, I registered using a temporary number and then requested Moderator assistance to port in. Worked like a charm. I had a few issues with getting activated, though - for some reason, my bank was happy to reject my payment request. What this meant was that I had to restart the activation process and lost a cool temporary number that I had chosen. It didn't really matter because, eventually, I was to get my LM number in. That said, the activation process should be simplified to allow a second payment in case the first doesn't go through rather than having to restart the whole thing. 

RJ64

It's such a shame that there is a lack of updates on this. 

I'm not sure what is happening, I've been checking in periodically but the issues still remain the same.

RJ64

I've been told that it is a rare issue. They have to given me a deadline for when this will be done. 

Still no service from Public yet. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@RJ64 I think your number might be lost in the system somewhere and they're trying to fish it out...

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@RJ64 wrote:

I checked with Koodo and they said that they haven't blocked anything from their end. 

Ended up having to activate another sim I have so that I can have a phone in the meantime. 

@RJ64   Have you not heard back from moderators since yesterday?  If that is the case then you should submit another ticket or send another private message.  By now you should have been contacted and been given some information as to what the problem might be and how long before they fix it.

RJ64

I checked with Koodo and they said that they haven't blocked anything from their end. 

Ended up having to activate another sim I have so that I can have a phone in the meantime. 

Lorca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Several months ago Koodo had security issues and locked the porting option on many postpaid accounts. You would have had to contact Koodo to unblock your account to port. Because Koodo and Public Mobile are both Telus owned it should be fairly easy for them to sort this out for you.

RJ64

Still no service yet. 😞

I've had to give work my wife's number to call if they need me this weekend. It looks like the only way I can be reached on my phone is going to be WhatsApp via wi-fi. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@RJ64 try to do something else in the meantime and do as they said and reboot your phone every hour and try again

RJ64

Okay; no I wasn't under Koodo Prepaid. 

It looks like I'm going to have to find one of the Koodo sims I've been sent with phone upgrades over the years and activate it for a usable phone in the meantime. 

@RJ64 the actvating with a temporary cell phone number only applies to Koodo prepaid. 

RJ64

Nobody told me that part so it was transferred without a temporary number.

That's not good. 

I'm still not up and running. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@RJ64 yes thankfully! the proper procedure in transfering a koodo number is to choose a new temporary number then contact customer support to port in your koodo number.

RJ64

That is what has me worried; my new ticket was created 5 hours ago; my call when someone from Koodo connected me was made at 10am this morning. It is now 3pm.

Thank goodness I have an understanding manager so I've been able to go aside and try and get this done. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@RJ64 was there a number they left for you to call? it seems they are currently working on it since they said keep trying till 6pm. I would suggest waiting till then, and then try to call that number back if you can or contact Moderators

RJ64

I used the Private Message function to contact the Mods who were in touch with me yesterday. I've had no contact this morning although did get someone on the phone via my old provider who connected me with someone from Public. 

They said there was an issue and a ticket issued and to try turning on my phone periodically today. If it doesn't work after 6pm then contact them again. 

RossN
Mayor / Maire

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@RJ64 if you created a new ticket it shouldn't be too long for a response. 

RJ64

Unfortunately I haven't been able to do that; the activation timed out so when I attempt to create a new account it says the sim is invalid. I had to have things setup via a Mod which appears to have gone through except no service. 

Need Help? Let's chat.