cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible speed on PM

Chiranjiv
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Brampton, ON. Upgraded to 5G plan recently. iphone 11. Showing 2 to 3 bars. Download speed is 1.09, upload 0.08, ping 71. That is worse than dial up. Any solution. or PM is shutting down forever. Bye Telus, Roger

11 REPLIES 11

@Chiranjiv   My iPhone 13 is on 5G auto and switches between LTE, 5G and 5G+ depending where I am.  But yes the speed on 4G/LTE can be as fast as PM's throttled 5G so you should be getting better speeds. But if there's something that needs adjusting at PM's end there's really no option but to wait for customer service.  I have no problem getting the advertised speeds on my iPhone. 

Chiranjiv

Public mobile is not having 5G. It is using higher speed =5G speed if I am not mistaken

Chiranjiv

Coverage map did not change. Same brampton area. Although the solar system may have moved around a bit in our galaxy 

Chiranjiv

I know all of these steps and done all that. I am in my home and every other condition is the same.I have googled every different solutions and tried changing APN settings as per Public mobile instructions. Gotten worst

@Chiranjiv   If you didn't already, I would contact customer service as originally suggested, it may be a technical glitch that needs fixing on their end.  You might have a bit of a wait for support though currently, it seems.

Chiranjiv

I know all of that . No issues with PM until now. This looks intentional by PM. I am getting failed to complete signals. Even when it works occasionally , upload speed was always less than 0.55 mbps

Chiranjiv

I am not expecting 5G speed as I understand it is not even 5G network. I have been on LTE and consistent getting 60 down and 5 to 6 up. This slow speed is not normal.  It looks like PM downgraded me to 3G even though I am on 50 Gigabyte US Canada Plan.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

That's not normal. You could be in a low signal or congested area. Do you get consistent results in different locations? Have you reset your network settings? Is your phone software up to date?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Chiranjiv , take a look at the coverage map to see how well you are covered in your local area.  In the GTA, this service uses the Bell towers sites.  Generally the entire region is well covered.  The data speed you quoted are synonymous with 3G network speeds.  As already noted, your phone does not have 5G capability.  That said, the labeling of the plans has nothing to do with network connectivity, it is just a marketing term for speed cap.  Your plan speed is capped at 250 mbits/s.  LTE is theoretically capable of speeds up to 250 mbits/s, real world performance will be slightly less.   

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?lat=43.708351&lng=-79.745636&zoom=12&type=Road...

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Chiranjiv   The iPhone 11 is not a 5G capable phone, the first iPhone with 5G capabilities is the 12.  Presumably you don't see 5g in the settings, do you have the phone set to 4G/LTE or 3G?   It should still be faster than that though even though you don't actually get 5G.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @Chiranjiv 

If you are having that bad of speeds, feel free to create a support ticket to find out why. Just know it may take a day or so to reach you back.

To Submit a ticket, please click the following link to access the Public Mobile Chatbot:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html  Type: Customer Service Agent

Chalupa_Batman_0-1715468854650.png

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: I am not a Public Mobile employee. I am a customer just like you. Please do not send me a private message with your personal information. 

Need Help? Let's chat.