cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hang on to your old $10 plans. - full 4G data - work around limited plan texts.

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Old $10 plan is a sweet thing - full 4G data - work around limited plan texts.

A long standing member confirmed that on the old $10 plan data speeds are at full 4G unlike more expensive plans that are at  throttled down to 3G. The only draw back for me was the limited allowable texts. However if one uses an Apple iPhone then you simply turn on iMessage that uses extremely low cellular data and your set. You may  save the plans limited allowable out-going texts to on occasion communicate with android phones.

According to my Google search with 1 GB of cellular data approx 42,000 iMessages (texts) may be sent.

😎Hang on to your old $10 plans.😎

22 REPLIES 22

xiaotaiqbc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

just received an email today. the price will increase to $13/month🙄

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BEER 

Lol....did this thread need a solution since you already knew the answer?

@mimmo 

No offense!😉

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

BEER

@Lieux wrote:

@pkaraa  No data with this plan.

Yes no data included with the old $10 plan -- BUT - most have accumulated free bonus gifts of several GB data and long distance minutes. 

BEER

Why not use the faster 4G for simple internet searches.  1 GB data goes a long way. With out the point system $15 buys 1GB data - and since I (perhaps according to some unwisely) switched to the point system now only $10 buys 1GB data.

According to my Google search with 1 GB of cellular data approx 42,000 iMessages (texts) may be sent. 

BEER

@pkaraa wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I would say that plans with small data usage (~1-2 GB per cycle) are not really that sensitive to speed performance.  Nobody with a light data plan will try to download the internet on their phone and so they will never do anything that really challenge the slow data speed.  

Yes, nowadays data is mainly used on the phone for picture msg or some apps like timmies which works best on data. Any big files are on the computers.

Yes of course many use their laptops for serious downloads -- except of course young phone addicted persons such as my daughters and their friends that even download full length movies on their iPhones. They however, through experience know better now that in order to save their data the must download over WIFI. 

I for one also do most things on my phone using mostly WIFI and data when I must. 

Recently I tested @darlicious claim that the $10 plan's data is faster using 4G as opposed to the more expensive plans that are throttled down to 3G ( I don't understand why PM does this) .

*****While at Canadian tire I used my newer phone with a more expensive PM data plan to look up an item and it took forever to do so. Then I did the same search on my older iPhone 7 with the $10 plan and within seconds it connected and did the job. So I conclude that @darlicious advise was correct in that old PM $10 plans data is faster by using full 4G speeds.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@BEER wrote:

Old $10 plan is a sweet thing - full 4G data - work around limited plan texts.

Not really. Unless your phone is only connection with the Internet speed does not matter. And in that case you would need bag of money for data add-ons

Quick email check or similar, works on any speed.

@pkaraa  No data with this plan.

BEER

@darlicious wrote:

@BEER 

Lol....this is kinda old news. But I don't want to spoil your party so I will meet you in the lounge where I'm taking bets on how long it takes to get there?🍸

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

What odds are you giving ?

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:

I would say that plans with small data usage (~1-2 GB per cycle) are not really that sensitive to speed performance.  Nobody with a light data plan will try to download the internet on their phone and so they will never do anything that really challenge the slow data speed.  

Yes, nowadays data is mainly used on the phone for picture msg or some apps like timmies which works best on data. Any big files are on the computers.

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Lieux wrote:

@hTideGnow 

It looks like that,26B4D6BB-1643-4551-A89A-6CA46DDB76FF.jpeg

And 1GB Data ??( not shown in the plan screenshot)

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BEER 

Lol....this is kinda old news. But I don't want to spoil your party so I will meet you in the lounge where I'm taking bets on how long it takes to get there?🍸

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

HI @mimmo   thanks for confirming.

Then I guess the plan is not that attractive afterall.  LTE is good, but for those low data usage people, the LTE and 3G speed shouldn't make sure a big difference 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@hTideGnow yes this plan had no data, hence why you get full 5,g speed data when you buy,/use add-on.

The reasoning is that data add-on matches your plan speed. 4g or  throttled if no data it defaults to full speed

HI @Lieux   So no data?

The LTE speed data will only work if buy data add-on?

I only agree that the $10 plan should be kept if the plan meets your needs.  If a customer is regularly going over minutes, running out of outgoing text messages, or is continually buying data add-ons, staying on the $10 plan isn't a good idea.  I would argue that LTE speeds doesn't make the plan when the plan itself doesn't include any data.  You'd being paying extremely high prices for data add-ons and buy the time, you'd use up any substantial amount of data, you'll have a very expensive plan that you could have got for much less elsewhere. 

Camera4617

Yes you need internet for WhatsApp, plus there is assumption that other side have WhatsApp installed and that might be incorrect. 

BEER

@BKNS27 wrote:

@BEER 

You can also use WhatsApp for wifi texting and calling.

I assume WIFI or Cellular data.

Camera4617

Wasn't it 50/50 (min/text)? If I remember well as I've read it somewhere.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @BEER   I know I cannot get it now, but still want to know.

so, what are in the plan?  how much data? how many minutes are there?

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@BEER 

You can also use WhatsApp for wifi texting and calling.

Need Help? Let's chat.