cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to rural Washington across from B.C. Will I have service or do I need to purchase add-ons?

69Shades420
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Heading to Port Angeles specifically. Should I just get a US sim card or has the network coverage improved since 2022?

7 REPLIES 7

I never heard of a $34 plan that came with 60GB. In any case, you may want to consider switching to the $34/50GB Canada/US plan, as it works in the US without the need for an additional roaming add-on (unlike your Canada only plan).

1000014123.png

69Shades420
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I currently have the 34$ a month Canda Wide Talk and Text with 60GBs data.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@69Shades420 , if your question is about coverage, then it makes no difference whether you purchase a service in the US or use roaming on this service.  Either way, you have access to the AT&T or T-Mobile network.  From my experience, the area you are referring to has good T-Mobile coverage.  To use Public Mobile US roaming, you need to have a CAN-US plan or purchase a US roaming add-on. 

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Just wondering, what plan do you have now?

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@69Shades420 

If you have the Canada/USA plan, you don’t need US Roaming Add-on to work in the USA.

But if you are on the Canada plan, you will need to purchase a USA Roaming bundle to work in the US as long as you are connected to AT&T or T-Mobile network.

Or purchase a local SIM or use WhatsApp or the TextNow app for free calling and texting when connected to local wifi.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

If T-Mobile and/or AT&T have coverage, then roaming with Public Mobile will work fine. Note that AT&T 5G doesn't work, so set your phone to 4G preferred. Also makes sure data roaming I on. For phone calls you'll need a VoLTE compatible device:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

@69Shades420 wrote:

Heading to Port Angeles specifically. Should I just get a US sim card or has the network coverage improved since 2022?

For data and text messaging services, there should be no difference compared to before.    For voice service (phone calls), is going to greatly depend on whether or not Public Mobile is allow VoLTE on your device.  When you're on a call (while sitll in Canada), is your phone staying on the LTE network?

Need Help? Let's chat.