cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a better plan

combobreakerhd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, when I signed up for Public Mobile, I got in on some promo (which lasted for 6mo). My bill was about $32. All I had was that promo, and $2 off for PAP. 

The promo has expired a few months ago, I'm now paying about $54/mo for 8gb at 2G speeds.

Any recommendations for getting a better rate, or should I be looking elsewhere? This has turned into one of the more expensive plans.. Thanks!

23 REPLIES 23

sorry maybe it wasn't clear. the 2nd tier offering at the current moment are promo plans. these are not the regular plan offerings... the example I showed above are the regular data allotment plans. after March there will be a price increase on all plans for bell customers, but will most likely also affect Telus and Rogers. 

if the data allotment stays the same and they increase prices. koodos 'regular' plans not the 'lunar' promo plans will look something like this.

• $50/2gb
  • $55/4gb
  • $60/6gb
  • $65/8gb

PM's plans currently

• $33/2.5gb
  • $38/5gb
  • $43/6.5gb
  • $48/8.5gb

make a comparison on these plans and not against the promo's. the lunar promo ends on Feb. 21. 

Telus, Bell and Rogers are all following the governments standard for lower pricing. it's called public, lucky and chatr

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@gpixel 

"if they decide to up the regular data amounts on these plans, the third tier will need to make adjustments"

First of all I highly doubt they would do this. The 2nd teir providers are offering more data for the same price and they aren't even bothering to adjust the 3rd teir. If the 2nd teir price increases I doubt PM would increase their price too. 

Also why are prices increasing. Cell service prices are supposed to be decreasing. 

Chatr did increase their prices but that could just be a rogers thing. Chatr is kinda odd and different from us. I'm not sure if PM and Lucky will follow.

@gpixel I hope that Public Mobile doesn't do that type of yearly increase. Loyalty reward would become useless.

the promo plans the higher tiers are offering will most likely have a $5 increase each year that passes. this is what virgin did to me with the $60/10gb promo

the regular 2nd tier plans are something like this

• $45/2gb
  • $50/4gb
  • $55/6gb
  • $60/8gb

if they decide to up the regular data amounts on these plans, the third tier will need to make adjustments

I think Mod should really prioritize  support tickets.. simjacked or big amount dispute should get prioritized.    

Also, i think they should have a Activation and Porting hotline (yes, there is one for Porting .. but we can't post the number here to help others..  😔  )  We see so many people have activation/porting issues.. honest, I wouldn't be surprise many were scared away because of the different activation issues.. Yes, they can come to Community to ask for help.. but they are new subscribers, I think it's a bit too much to ask from them, who just failed an activation, to setup another account here and wait for our help..

Public mobile is just coasting along......

https://images.app.goo.gl/278GAxb5md1kFE6w9

@hTideGnow wrote:

PM is really not a brand for broad public.. service is decent.. but support is a weakness.. the Community is good.. but it's not for everyone..  major issue is Mod response time.. 

the strongest point for PM is it's low usage plans.. plan under $35 is sort of the best in the market.. 

btw, teksavvy.. i think it's not as good as before too.. price has gone up a lot.. it's just cheaper than the major one (Rogers,Bell) but certainly one of the most $$ among the internet resellers.

I think that Public Mobile can get away without having a call centre most of the time, because most of the time, the service works just fine.  However, why is a customer go to join Public Mobile to get less than at the competion, competition that is at the brands that are supposed to be more expensive postpaid options?  Even compared to other prepaid providers, Public Mobile's most direct competitors do have call centres and the plans are almost identical.   Sure, Public Mobile has rewards, but those take time to collect. Those also won't be much of a factor if the new customers aren't joining to begin with because of the lack of good price plans or if the existing customers aren't able to convince/refer people to the service.

@combobreakerhd 

Its too bad you didn't mention your problem a month ago. Going to a different provider that can offer larger data plans at lower prices is your best bet at this point.

Do you have a dual sim phone? Even without one I would have suggested downgrading your current plan to the $15 plan and activating a new sim and taking advantage of the the 30 day credit and 5gb data bonus. Use both sims in a dual sim phone or call forward your $15 plan to your new number. If you had accumulated free gifts of data and minutes you could suspend one account while you use up the gifted data and minutes on one account and then suspend and do the same in the other. You then abandon the new account and create a new account with the next good promotion to come along....

Have you used all of the data saving tools within your phone? Disabling background data alone can lower usage by up to 38%.

PM is really not a brand for broad public.. service is decent.. but support is a weakness.. the Community is good.. but it's not for everyone..  major issue is Mod response time.. 

the strongest point for PM is it's low usage plans.. plan under $35 is sort of the best in the market.. 

btw, teksavvy.. i think it's not as good as before too.. price has gone up a lot.. it's just cheaper than the major one (Rogers,Bell) but certainly one of the most $$ among the internet resellers.

@BearFBI wrote:

@computergeek541 

"Unfortunately, Public Mobile's plans curently aren't the greatest."

100%. If you don't plan to take advantage of the reward system I wouldn't bother with PM. If anything it may seem like a ripoff compared to other companies even koodo, their own sister company that's a teir up !

Public Mobile's plans are just bad currently. The whole teir thing isint working. 

I actually believe that Public Mobile's current plans are so off-base that they'd have to at least double the amount of data included across the board just to keep up.  Less data, slower data, and more expensive plans than some others isn't going to attract customers.

combobreakerhd

It just seems like the whole branding scheme is a misnomer. Like Freedom, they're anything but.

I'm down with the whole enthusiast angle, if this was a decade back I'd be one of those people pushing referral codes and offering community support. But that's for a small minority of total connected users. "Public" mobile then seems like a provider for anything but the broad public.. just saying.

I actually really like PM, it's never done me wrong. But it'd make a lot more sense of they took the Teksavvy type brand scheme. Make this the bastion carrier for users who hustle hard for a deal.

Anyways.. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

PM plan is not the greatest once you are paying over $35.

Since the pandemic, other carriers has been lowering the price to try to steal ppl over, so.. if you are will to pay $35 - $50.. 

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If you need to stream few times a month, I'd suggest then Fido. Currently, they have 6GB for 45$ plus they give you 5 times a month 1 hour unlimited data which doesn't count toward your cap. The only thing, is you have to have at least 24 hours between streams. So, if your game is let's say 1.5 hours, you can activate that 'free hour' and enjoy it. Then after 1 hour, you can use your data. I found it very helpful in that kind of situation when you need to stream or download something. 

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 

"Unfortunately, Public Mobile's plans curently aren't the greatest."

100%. If you don't plan to take advantage of the reward system I wouldn't bother with PM. If anything it may seem like a ripoff compared to other companies even koodo, their own sister company that's a teir up !

Public Mobile's plans are just bad currently. The whole teir thing isint working. 

combobreakerhd

Thanks for the insight everyone. Yes that 8.5gb @ $50/mo (-$2 for auto-pay) is the plan I'm on.

I stream a few Raps games on my phone every month, so I'm constantly pushing that data cap. As well, I spend about 30% of the stream just buffering because of the 3mbps(?) throttle.

I'd be more inclined to pay a little extra if Public offered either higher data cap or faster speeds. 

But tbh, seeing $54 withdrawn from my acct yesterday was a bit jarring. Considering the discrepancy between what I was paying when I signed up, until now, Public just isn't cutting it.

I get the whole self-serve model, incentives, but it should still be way cheaper for those of us who aren't completionists or wtv you'd term someone who farms the game. 

Most flanker carriers are offering 10gb @ $50/mo on 4G, so how much are we really saving here.

I'll stick it out for the rest of the month but I'll be disabling auto-pay. Thanks again y'all..

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@combobreakerhd  I would shop around zoomer, lucky, chatr, Koodo, virgin fido and see who has the best plan value for your needs.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@combobreakerhd , with Public Mobile, what you see is what you get.  There are no opportunities to negotiate better pricing.  Generally, existing customers don't have many opportunities to participate in plan deals.  We mostly get our savings through rewards which takes time and patience.  It can pay off quite nicely in the long run.  As others have already suggested, this service is known for value with the lower data usage plans.  

@computergeek541 , yes that would make sense. 😏

@esjliv wrote:

HI @combobreakerhd ,

With autopay you can get 8.5GB for $48.

esjliv_0-1613354516152.png

Go into your SELF SERVE and check out "Change Plan".

I'm almost certain that @combobreakerhd is already on that plan. The approximiately $54 amount likley includes sales tax.  The plan with that amount of data at 3g speeds has never been priced at more than $50 (plus tax).

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

You can switch plans anytime.

Check out plans under Shop tab on homepage. 

If you do decide to switch plans here, do so on next renewal so as not to lose out on what's been paid/remaining for current cycle.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@combobreakerhd wrote:

Hello, when I signed up for Public Mobile, I got in on some promo (which lasted for 6mo). My bill was about $32. All I had was that promo, and $2 off for PAP. 

The promo has expired a few months ago, I'm now paying about $54/mo for 8gb at 2G speeds.

Any recommendations for getting a better rate, or should I be looking elsewhere? This has turned into one of the more expensive plans.. Thanks!

Have you looked at getting one of the other lower cost plans on PM? As well you can lower your costs by getting friends and family to sign up with your referral code.

@combobreakerhd wrote:

Unfortunately, Public Mobile's plans currently aren't the greatest. If you're willing to go postpaid, Koodo will offer you a much better plan for $50 (faster and more data). Really, the rewards that you might have on your account are one of the few reason for customers to stay.  I encourage Public Mobile to make plans changes for the better.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

HI @combobreakerhd ,

With autopay you can get 8.5GB for $48.

EDIT: this is the largest data plan available. If this is not sufficient for your needs, you may need to look elsewhere.

esjliv_0-1613354516152.png

Go into your SELF SERVE and check out "Change Plan".

Need Help? Let's chat.