cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flip phone - incoming calls do not ring or show in call log, outgoing calls and voicemail work

Cath
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This has been happening with my Coolpad Snap for a few weeks and working with Coolpad tech support has failed to resolve the issue.  Today, my husband informed me that his Alcatel Go Flip has the same issue.  Settings on both phones have been checked.   That this is happening on two different phones with two different Public Mobile plans makes me wonder if it could be a PM issue.  Does anyone have any bright ideas?

Thanks

EDIT

Sincere thanks to everyone who responded.  Hub and I can call each other and the phones ring!  These two seniors, 80 and 79, are soooo happy!

One final question:  can I mark two replies as solutions?

19 REPLIES 19

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

No, you can choose only one as accepted solution.

you can bravo others. 

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@Cath wrote:

This has been happening with my Coolpad Snap for a few weeks and working with Coolpad tech support has failed to resolve the issue.  Today, my husband informed me that his Alcatel Go Flip has the same issue.  Settings on both phones have been checked.   That this is happening on two different phones with two different Public Mobile plans makes me wonder if it could be a PM issue.  Does anyone have any bright ideas?

Thanks

EDIT

Sincere thanks to everyone who responded.  Hub and I can call each other and the phones ring!  These two seniors, 80 and 79, are soooo happy!

One final question:  can I mark two replies as solutions?

@Cath 

No, you can choose only one.

Personally, I think @darlicious deserves the honor since she suggested the solution to you first.

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

So glad this issue could be resolved for you both @Cath !!

Cath

Am in Owen Sound, Ontario.  Problem seems to be resolved now, thanks to settings suggested by @darlicious and @t_p .

@Cath 

Thats the right setting. Have your husband call you.

@Cath   what area (province and city) you are at?

And those missed  calls went to VM?   All incoming calls are like this or just half and half?

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@Cath wrote:

@t_p 

No option for WCDMA

Only options are:

LTE On (Automatic LTE/3G/2G)

LTE Off (Automatic 3G/2G)

2G Only

I selected LTE Off

Thanks

That's strange. My Go Flip has that setting.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Cath wrote:

@dabr 

For two seniors on a very limited budget, even one refurbished smartphone is not possible.  But thanks for the info. 🙂

@Cath    Of course, if finances don't permit purchasing even something like the refurbished Moto E/$99 which is a good phone at a reasonable price, then perhaps there's some family or friend who may upgrade their phone soon and is willing to to donate their old smart phone to you at no cost?   I was using a hand-me-down for a couple of years, although I already a smart phone, it was an improvement from the one I had.

Anyway, hopefully, you can get the issue resolved and are able to get another year or more use out of your flip phones .  Good luck.

Cath

@Anonymous 

Thanks for the reminder.  I totally forgot to reboot.  As my son tells me, “Keep up with the tour, Mom.”  😂

Cath

@t_p 

No option for WCDMA

Only options are:

LTE On (Automatic LTE/3G/2G)

LTE Off (Automatic 3G/2G)

2G Only

I selected LTE Off

Thanks

Cath

@dabr 

For two seniors on a very limited budget, even one refurbished smartphone is not possible.  But thanks for the info. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cath 

To perform a Network reset, follow these steps.

1. From the Home screen, select App > Settings > General settings > Mobile network > Advanced.
  2. Scroll to and select Preferred network type and choose from the following options:
    • LTE On (Automatic LTE/3G/2G)
    • LTE/3G
    • try it both and do Rebooting your phone, for each you will select.

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@Cath wrote:

@darlicious 

Thanks for the suggestion.  Will check.

@Cath To set your phone on 3G:

1. Press the OK button on the Keypad.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Under the 'Network & Connectivity' tab, scroll and select Cellular & Data.
  4. Select Carrier.
  5. Select Network Type.
  6. Select  WCDMA only

Cath

@darlicious 

Turned LTE off, set to 3G/2G.  I know 2G isn’t supported but that is the setting.  Now I wait for calls. 🤞

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Cath   That does seem odd that it's affecting two different flip phones almost at the same.  If switching the phones to 3G network setting doesn't resolve it, it might just be time to (perhaps) upgrade to a smart phone?  😊   PM does have a selection of refurbished phones with an one year warranty at this link:  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/phone-section

Cath

@darlicious 

Thanks for the suggestion.  Will check.

Cath

@Anonymous 

Both device names were included in my original post.

Do not have a smartphone.

Although it may be theoretically possible, I think it unlikely that two different SIMs would go rogue in the same way at the same time.

Thanks for the reply though.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Cath 

Where are you located? Do your flip phones support 4G LTE? If so can you choose the 3G network only?

Edit: Both of your phones have 4G LTE connectivity. Telus and Bell are both upgrading network capabilities in different areas across Canada. As calling for pm is on the 3G network only there are issues switching from 4G LTE to 3G quickly enough that it is defaulting calls to voicemail or in a worse case dropping them altogether. Keeping your phone in 3G only for the next little while til these service upgrades are completed in your area will resolve the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cath 

what your device model and name ! 

do you have a smartphone device to you can test your public mobile SIM card on it

to you know where they issue from SIM card neteork or your old device..

Need Help? Let's chat.