cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Esim

Marchibald56
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just a heads up,

I just switched to an esim and upon set up it warned ⚠️ me that once I do it to make sure it's the correct phone as you are unable to switch phones after. Meaning that if you are like me, and purchase used phones you can't just put your esim number into a new phone and have it work like you would with the physical sim.  In hindsight I wished I'd of never switched! Does anybody know what the pros are to the esim then, because I'm not sure 

14 REPLIES 14

Marchibald56

Mines the s22 ultra you listed. Personally not a fan of the I devices

@Marchibald56 

I don't disagree with you. Sometimes we just gotta have the newest tech...even if it really isn't any better than old tech ! Amazon has hard sim for $5. Change back to hard sim is done by yourself within your account.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Marchibald56 

There are more pros with a physical SIM and I don’t know why the big deal with eSIM.

I only use eSIM when I am travelling and use a local eSIM otherwise I use the SIM as the daily service on my iPhone.

Unless you have the American iPhone 14 which only use eSIM. 

@Marchibald56 wrote:

So when I switch back to a physical card I can add an esim while traveling? Or I can add another esim as well as pm and just switch. I generally travel 2x a year 

Yes, you can add multiple eSIM on your phone.  If you are using PM eSIM, you can still add other travel eSIM (iPhone 13 can add up to 8 eSIM profiles, and Samsung S22 Ultra can add up to 3)

But most phones on the market now can only have 1 active eSIM and 1 physical esim running (set as active) at the same time.  If you are using eSIM for travelling, does not matter your PM on eSIM or not (as there is no service in another country and you can safely disable , not delete, the PM eSIM).  But some people are using 2 services from different carriers, then it will need to be one physical one eSIM.   (But iPhone 14 can run 2 active eSIM at the same time)

Marchibald56

Ty I still wish I'd of never changed now

@Marchibald56  Yes you can switch back to physical sim and leave the eSIM free for travel . Once you have physical SIM card in a hand go to profile page and SIM card swap the number like this 

SIM  SWAPPING  profile tabs

Handy1_0-1693932861196.png

Note only do this on lap top or computer/ not mobile device

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You can add an additional E-SIM anytime, regardless if you have a physical sim or e-sim already in use. In your cellular settings you should see an add e-sim option, you’d use that and a QR code or install the e-sim from the app of the travel e-sim provider.

Marchibald56

So when I switch back to a physical card I can add an esim while traveling? Or I can add another esim as well as pm and just switch. I generally travel 2x a year 

Marchibald56

This seems like a lot while sitting with a stranger at timmies to test phone

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Marchibald56 

this is normal for eSIM. Most providers will charge you a fees if you ever want to move eSIM to another phone, basically you need to buy a new eSIM, not really "move'

Pros for eSIM: 

• you can quickly activate a new account without going out and get a physical sim
  • if you travel frequently, you can have the multiple eSIM all setup and switch different eSIM on the fly without finding the little pin to swap phsyical sim cards, which you might misplace
  • Most phones do not have dual physical sim slots.  So, 1 physical 1 eSIM, you can easily have 2 active accounts running on your phone

Of course you nailed the cons of eSIM, the cost to switch phones

Marchibald56

Yes, I still have my card. Just did this yesterday. They won't let me use it, so I'd have to purchase another card. I just purchased the esim, so not right now. Maybe when I'm looking for my next newer phone. Thanks for your response. Just thought it's good for people to know

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Marchibald56 

Unfortunately yes, with PM you have to purchase a new E-SIM if you delete it or if you get a new device and want to transfer it over. The benefit to E-SIM is that you can have multiple E-SIM’s on one device but the downside is you don’t have the flexibility of just popping the SIM in another device when wanting to switch devices or troubleshoot issues. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Marchibald56  That is the con of eSIM but if you do switch phones often as I do also you can buy a new eSIM from the app . Signing into the app on new phone go to subscription add on page notice buy sim at bottom of the page select it and choose eSIM download  and instal it each time you change devices 

Handy1_0-1693932176034.png

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Marchibald56 

you've experienced the cons. You can still get a hard sim and change back, ya' know.

Need Help? Let's chat.