cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency Alerts on iPhone XR

Lynda2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

A test of the Emergency Alert system just happened in BC and my daughter got the alert, but I did not. Here is what I have tried:

I went to Settings > Notifications > scroll to the bottom, and there is literally nothing there for government alerts.

I checked to ensure that I have the latest version of iOS 15.4.1.

I powered the phone down and re-started it. Nothing.

I put it into airplane mode and took it off airplane mode. Nothing.

I contacted Apple and screen-shared with them - they were unable to solve it either and suggested it may have to do with my carrier. So here I am.

16 REPLIES 16

@Lynda2 wrote:

I won't know until the next emergency alert!

@Lynda2   Get ready, your next alert test is   November 16, 2022 at 1:55 pm  🙂

https://www.emergencyinfobc.gov.bc.ca/alert-ready-wireless-public-alerting/

@Lynda2 wrote:

Ok, when I go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options: the voice & data was set to 3G. Could that be the problem?

@Lynda2 Yes that is the problem as I stated you need to be on the LTE network and not 3G.  That is why my first post asked that question and then I posted how the alert is only over the LTE network.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Lynda2

I have absolutely no idea why it was set to 3G... I changed it. Hopefully this solves the issue, although I won't know until the next emergency alert!

@Lynda2 wrote:

Ok, when I go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options: the voice & data was set to 3G. Could that be the problem?

@Lynda2   Yes, that is the problem.  It only sent over LTE

Any reason why you set to 3G?  if you have voice problem and you need to set to 3G , leave it there.  

But if you don't have voice issue, you can change to LTE, I guess

Lynda2

It's a new-to-me hand me down, so all I know is that I've been missing notifications on this level ever since I got the phone. I spoke with the previous owner of the phone (a friend) who says that they got emergency notifications.

Lynda2

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Lynda2 

I got the alert on my iPhone X and on my Samsung S8 with the bankrupted Roam Mobility SIM in the phone.

That is strange that you didn’t get the alert. Did you go into the Apple Genius store to check out the phone?

@hTideGnow 

Screenshot_20220504-161924.png

   Added more info at www.cwta.ca  that was just on the landing page

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Lynda2 

This site suggests below. Could it be as easy as a restart or a reset of the network settings?

https://drfone.wondershare.com/iphone-problems/emergency-alerts-iphone-not-working.html

Below seems to be for the USA only, but it is interesting.

Does Canada not have this option?

https://www.businessinsider.com/emergency-alert-iphone - How to enable or disable test alerts

Test alert settings are accessed separately from real emergency alerts.

By default, these are turned off. But if you decide that you want to change those settings and you live in the U.S. or Puerto Rico, here's how to turn test alerts on or off:

1. Open the Phone app.
  2. Tap the keypad icon.
  3. To turn it on, enter *5005*25371# and tap the green call icon.
  4. To turn it off, enter *5005*25370# and tap the green call icon.

After completing step three or four you'd get an alert telling you that you've enabled, or disabled, the feature.

HI @ShawnC13   So, this Alert only works on LTE but not 3G?

Lynda2

Well, if it was my kid who was missing, I would hope to God people would care enough to take a look around them.

Lynda2

Even if my volume was down, would I not see the notification on my screen? I was sitting in my house with it right beside me? When my daughter's buzzed, I looked to see if mine would, but nothing happened.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Lynda2 Did it ever work before??  It is usually hit or miss for me too.  

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

I'm with same carrier as you and 2 phones in our household get it.

Is it possible your ringer or volume was turned down ?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Lynda2   It really hard to tell if it is the phone or network.  I have multiple PM phones, sometimes one would ring from the alert, one can silent alert (which is not supposed to be able to silent it)

I think it is more to do with the phone then network.

You are great, so many people complain of these alerts and want to get rid of it, and you want to fix  it.  Great

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

I got it on my iPhoneXR (but with Bell) and my Pixel 6 on PM got it as well.  Were you connected to LTE network at the time are do you have it set to the 3G network?

Need Help? Let's chat.