cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-SIM charge is a money grab

MrG3D
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

PM should not charge for E-SIM, especially since they can't be transferred like a regular SIM.  It doesn't take any extra resources for them to assign one.  This is unacceptable.

8 REPLIES 8

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@BKNS27 wrote:

Common mistake by new member is not to check if their phones are eSIM compatible before subscribing a new plan with the FREE eSIM option…I guess when they see the work FREE…they click it rather then paying for a SIM.

For a typical consumer, "FREE" means "I'm entitled to get it at no cost ... they OWE me the FREE thing."

And it means "My anger is justified if somebody else gets it at no cost but I didn't get it ... or I got it but it turns out there's a catch or condition or small print detail I didn't notice; I'm stuck paying for the FREE thing I got."

The Telus marketing folks are always quite conscious of the reasons they're advertising the word. It always angers a few people. But it also always catches some fools and it always makes money.

Public Mobile is a prepaid phone service, a business, not a charity. They offer things FREE to increase revenue, they don't offer things FREE (any more) to reward or reinforce customer loyalty.

@MrG3D wrote:

Nonsense.  Once you have a SIM or E-SIM, you should never have to pay to replace it.  There the unit cost should be per phone, not per identifier.

HI @MrG3D 

Public Mobile is a business, not a charity  🙂

MrG3D
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Nonsense.  Once you have a SIM or E-SIM, you should never have to pay to replace it.  There the unit cost should be per phone, not per identifier.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@MrG3D 

Common mistake by new member is not to check if their phones are eSIM compatible before subscribing a new plan with the FREE eSIM option…I guess when they see the work FREE…they click it rather then paying for a SIM.

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@MrG3D , To add to this, if there’s a technical issue when trying to install the eSIM CS_Agents tell Customers to purchase another one or purchase a SIM Card! Which has happened way to often!

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

And I might add @MrG3D PM isn't charging for them right now with a new plan start. 

I have a feeling there's more to this story than we know?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@MrG3D 

I don't disagree, however, this is not something only PM charges you.  Most Candian carriers are charging for eSIM replacement/transfer.

So, if you don't have a case for eSIM, like you have an eSIM only phone or you run out of physical sim slot, stay with physical sim

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

There may still be costs associated with eSIMs.

Per-unit registration or licensing fees, things like that. All sorts of patents and technologies and tracking and regulations built into each one.

Although I agree that they should cost nothing. Or a token payment (like $1) just to confirm the subscriber has a valid account and isn't an internet shopping bot. (I joined back when physical PM SIM cards were $0 free - they even paid the postage! But they had to eventually discontinue the practice because the world is filled with too many scummy greedy dirtbags who ruined it for everyone.)

Imagine a world where car manufacturers would charge you extra for an ignition key. Where the thing you just bought would be useless to you, where you couldn't even drive your car off the sales lot until you paid that extra surcharge.

Need Help? Let's chat.