cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped Calls

Greggbran
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have tried everything to attempt to resolve the dropped call  issues I have been having  including multiple sims/ Esims,  New Iphones  ,reset network , change to 3G or 4G instead of 5g on or 5G auto  and the list goes on . I have asked for a couple of network resets on their end as well ... Signal is usually strong . I have contacted support (CSAgent ) on a few occasions  and spoken to them in an  attempt to resolve the issue ..... still with  no resolution .. I am a very patient person but it is wearing thin... Does anyone else have this issue on a regular basis.. I am out of ideas .. Gregg 

99 REPLIES 99

Greggbran

I have been  in contact with 3 levels of support > firstly  the CS agent . That was escalated to Tech support . This morning  had a person contact me from Telus Tech support and he is going to investigate further with information I have provided . Will keep everyone posted.. Thanks  

Tom222333444555
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Greggbran wrote:

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately the app is not available for iPhones. I am working with a tech at the moment. He has asked to log all calls that are dropping for the next 48 hours.  I sent him 3 yesterday. So I went from CS agent to tech support. He will escalate this to support above him. Hopefully we can get some answers. 

A cs_agent finally reached out to me today so lets see how it goes

Greggbran

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately the app is not available for iPhones. I am working with a tech at the moment. He has asked to log all calls that are dropping for the next 48 hours.  I sent him 3 yesterday. So I went from CS agent to tech support. He will escalate this to support above him. Hopefully we can get some answers. 

smurfit

I think it might just be the network is over capacity. You would think they would just block any new calls from connecting rather than disconnecting existing calls when the network is congested. PM is using Telus towers, but I suspect they are using inferior or obsolete equipment to actually handle and process the call data. Something just doesn't add up. If you want to collect and analyze some data about your dropped calls, I found an Android app that seems to be able to collect call logs..

https://www.networksurvey.app/ 

Colbydog

The randomness of calls dropping is annoying, over and above the calls actually dropping, ranging from 5 to 69 minutes. I have an iPhone 14Pro and am in a very good location for cell service (ironically literally about a mile away from the Telus "boot" head-office in Burnaby BC).

I had to be on a call today and needed constant connectivity so I downloaded a wifi calling app (I used TextNow - I'm not affiliated with it, have no referral codes, just was the best rated free one I could see in the App store). It worked fine until the 2 hour mark when the call dropped! I figured it may be the call time limit as I have read that some companies have a "fair usage policy" that limits call times. I wonder if PM has some sort of hidden dynamic call time limiting algorithm in the background?

Anyways, using a wifi calling app is a easy temp workaround if you need to have consistent connection and aren't trusting PM to not drop. Am still waiting to hear back from PM on my dropped call ticket.

Tom222333444555

@Greggbran wrote:

Do you know if Freedom Can /Us  is available in Nova Scotia . The coverage map indicates no >> 

I've read that Freedom works in Halifax, but not sure what it is like once you get outside the city

Greggbran

Do you know if Freedom Can /Us  is available in Nova Scotia . The coverage map indicates no >> 

Greggbran

LOL . I'm in the same boat .. I have been with PM for 2 years and up until a couple of months ago things were fine .. NOT so anymore !!!

Colbydog

My family is on the Freedom CAN/US plan. I didn't join Freedom to make sure we have a "backup" in case one of either of the networks goes down. As it turns out, PM is "going down" more often and without any catastrophe! 😂 

Tom222333444555

@Colbydog wrote:

I was on a Telus 5G plan up until a couple of weeks ago when I switched to the PM Can/US 50G plan. I did not have any issues with calls dropping while on Telus. I submitted a ticket to support and waiting to hear back.

Colby, you sound like you did exactly what I did. I was on Telus 5G and thinking, why am I paying more? Public Mobile is owned by Telus, they share the same cell towers. They should be same, right? And you get Can and US with PM for so cheap. So I switched my whole family over.

But all I have been hearing in my ear for the last few weeks is my wife complaining about how crappy the voice service is with PM. AND trust me when I say this (as every married man will attest to)...I will pay more to stop the constant complaining in my ear lol.  I really hope this gets resolved because I'll switch to another service provider in a heartbeat

Greggbran

Thanks for the info. Please let me know how you make out !! 

Colbydog

I was on a Telus 5G plan up until a couple of weeks ago when I switched to the PM Can/US 50G plan. I did not have any issues with calls dropping while on Telus. I submitted a ticket to support and waiting to hear back.

Tom222333444555

@Dunkman wrote:

@Greggbran 

I did post this call dropping issue to PM management and they said that they were looking into the issue.  It was several weeks ago.  I will ask for an update.  

If you have a physical SIM card, maybe try it in an android phone.  To see if iPhone issue with PM.....

Just FYI, in my house, my son has iPhone 14, my wife has Pixel 6, and I have Samsung S24. My phone is top of the line. All three of us are suffering from dropped calls but signal is strong. Dropped calls happen everywhere.....at my house, at work, at the mall etc. We are all on the 5G 75gig/Can-US plan. We were all previously on a Telus 225 gig shared family plan. Things worked great at Telus. no dropped calls. But now it is happening to all of us. It doesn't make sense since PM uses the same Telus towers and same frequencies for 5G and LTE.

All our phones are VOLTE enabled and I've tried everything to make things work.

Sadly, I'm old enough to know better.....you get what you pay for.

Greggbran

I totally agree . Just wish they would be honest about what is going on  .. 

Greggbran

Thanks for your comments . I'm with you ...not resolved soon i will switch . Its a shame because there USA/ Can plan is unbeatable ...Also I believe a lot of users with PM are younger < and as my daughter , do mainly texting and social media and very little voice . If not ,it will become that way soon 

Greggbran

Totally agree .. thanks for your comments  .. Do you know of any Telus users that are having the same problems?

Habsy1

I'm reading the same complaints on reddit. I've been with Public for 6years but will switch if it's not resolved in the next week. They just escalated my complaint.

Tom222333444555

Greggbran, it isn't your sim cards, it isn't your phones and network resets don't do jack. Unfortunately, I've had all those too. This is something to do with PM. Apparently this only started a few months ago from what I've been able to research. The problem is something on the Public Mobile side. Again, you may have no choice but to switch to someone else. I'm already looking at offers from Rogers. I'll pay a little more but at least it will work

Tom222333444555

Sadly, you will have to switch to anther service provider. What is the point of great prices, and great rate plans when you can't make a simple phone call??

I'm getting dropped calls too. It has been happening for 2 weeks straight. I'm on the 75gig US/Can plan. It is random. Sometimes, I can talk for an hour, then boom, drop. Sometimes it happens within seconds of the call. Other times, it drops within 10 minutes. I was with Telus previously for 10 years and I never had 1 problem. The current phone I'm using I was using is one year old and has all the newest tech. I was using with Telus for the last year, no problems.

I thought Telus and PM were the same since Telus owns PM and they use the same towers, but NO. If this doesn't get resolved soon, I'll have no choice but to go to a Bell or Rogers company

Greggbran

Hi . Yes I have tried 3G 4G and 5g for a couple of days each .BUt why would 4G or 5G matter , That is for Data not voice or am i missing something ? lol . Drops calls could be after 10 minutes or longer .. not consistent . I did 3 test tonight and 2 dropped after 10 min and another after 20 . I tried wifi on and wifi off as well . My brother has an android phone and sister in law has an iphone 15 . They tested there phones on each other and dropped calls  within 10 -20 minutes . I am in Bedford NS ,just outside Halifax and they are in Dartmouth just outside Halifax NS as well .. Different towers . No problems with Telus..  Are you getting dropped calls and where are you located . Thanks for your ideas 

HI @Greggbran 

seems like you tried everything you can.

there have been some posts about dropped calls in the last 2 weeks, but your issue might be way before that

you tried 3G?  but did you tried for couple days?

And for dropped calls, it just dropped after couple minutes? or the calls not get to you at all?

And what city you are in?  any of your friends on Telus or Bell have similar problem?

Greggbran

I am in Nova scotia and I really dont know what is going on Im on  a 5G plan Can/Usa .. Doesn't make sense why it would be different for different plan if they are all 4G and 5G ... Somes day its fine ..Other days like today 3 drooped calls  ..Some 10 minutes , some 20 .. Never had an issue with telus or PM up until a few months ago . Something must have changed ... I am going to get to the bottom of this ...

Greggbran

Ya I have spoken to CS agent and Tech support 3 times in the last 3 weeks . They said they did a network reset each time  again ..  still dropped calls . My brother same problem .. Does anyone know what they do when they perform a network reset ? I'm in Nova Scotia 

Habsy1

CSAgent did a network reset on Friday. That didn't work. It happened again today. 15 minutes into the conversation. Public is making it a new ticket (even though they didn't fix the problem the first time), so I'm repeating all the information to the CSAgent. Very very annoying. 

smurfit

Same issue here in BC. On $15 100min/unlimited incoming plan. Calls drop constantly around 9min. Other family members on higher priced PM plans seem unaffected. Customer service claims it is likely due to my phone not supporting VOLTE, but neither do any of our other phones. Furthermore I tried forcing the phone to 3G only mode and the issue persists. I have been in the same location for 12 years and always on Telus and then PM as of 7 years ago.. never had many dropped calls. Now it is almost every call. I thought PM is the same network as Telus, but it seems maybe not anymore? 

Colbydog

This just happened to me as well! I was on the phone with CRA and after about 10 minutes the call just dropped (or "failed"). Double frustration as I've been trying to get ahold of CRA for the past couple of weeks and their phone queues are stupid. I'll try @Dunkman's solution. I hope PM gets to the bottom of this. 

Greggbran

That is Strange ..there has to be a solution .. Data and everything else is fine ?..Its just voice calls ?

El-Tabador
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have issues with dropped calls- seems to be good for awhile then there are periods when I get alot of dropped calls -This week has been really bad . I have done all the tips and tricks reset network settings / reboot phone /turn off auto on network/even tried switching to 3g and I have a telus tower less than 200m from me so it not a signal issue .

Greggbran

I have the same issue . There has to be more people out there experiencing this .. this is my 3rd ticket on this issue !! If you get any resolution please let me know ...

Habsy1

When calls get to be about 15 - 20 minutes, I get disconnected. This has happened more and more over the last month or two. Short calls are fine. I've switched plans, and it hasn't helped. It's extremely frustrating. I have a ticket out, but if it's not resolved, I'll have to switch providers. 

Need Help? Let's chat.