cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable All Data

thecynic
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is it possible to remotely pause all data use for my phone from the My Account portal?

22 REPLIES 22

xiv
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@thecynic I'm late to this conversation so I apologize if I missed something, but nobody seems to have mentioned that in order for MMS to work data needs to be turned ON. It's actually a requirement.

As for browsing habits, I personally have set my phone so that only whitelisted sites are allowed. Then I made sure the whitelist is really short, and made sure that Javascript is turned OFF. By the way, this is also a great way to reduce your attack surface from malicious sites and malware.

Maybe your phone has something similar you can set up? 

Hope this helps,

-xiv

Yes, I use the method linked by htidegnow with my dual sim phone. One account has just mms in apn type. The other account has default,mms,dun. The 4G indicator doesn't show up when I turn on data for that sim but the mms will transmit.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@thecynic 

Just take the bulls but the horn and limit your own usage.

Why rely on technology- show “it” you control it, not the other way around.

@thecynic 

The is a Bluetooth/wifi calling and texting app but I don’t know how reliable it is. Never used this app.

HI @thecynic 

this is the best part of a searchable Community with all posts there and no delete

I search and found this knowledge from the wiseman, test it

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/APN-Setting-for-MMS-only/m-p/199802/highl...

thecynic

The ZTE Cymbal 2 runs a modified version of Android. Already tried easy and medium, which both end up disabling MMS messages as a side-effect.

If I change the APN settings (great idea by the way), will MMS continue to work?

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

@thecynic I was going to suggest one of those parent monitoring apps, but any disabling of data will result in MMS not working unfortunately.

HI @thecynic 

are you on Android or iPhone

Suggestions: 

easy: turn of Mobile data, never turn it on

medium: Android only, set a data limit and once the limit is reached, the data will not work again. Challenge is PM is on 30 days cycle and your phone is monthly, so you might have to keep changing the cycle date

harder: Android/iPhone, update the APN to to completely different thing so the data won't connect at all

thecynic

I'm doing this as sort of a personal challenge; there's not a real reason for me to do it, but I think I'd be better off with less internet usage in general. So, I want to limit my internet usage out and about by turning off mobile data, but, doing it via My Account so that I can't just turn it on in my phone's settings.

That was my initial goal.

So, I don't understand @thecynic 

It is because you are unable to manage your data consumption effectively?

Ensure your apps are set to NOT USE background data when on Wi-Fi.  Ensure your updates only occur on Wi-Fi.  Consider switching to the $15 plan which give almost no data.

There's lots of ways to avoid using data - but if you have it as part of your plan, why is this necessary?

thecynic

I have a ZTE Cymbal 2, and you can disable data by going into settings -> wireless & networks -> mobile network -> mobile data -> turn off. There is no option to enable MMS as well. I tried a Google Pixel 6 before, and on that phone, when I disabled mobile data, an option appeared to allow MMS even if data was disabled.

@thecynic 

@thecynic wrote:

The phone I have does not have a setting to disable mobile data without also disabling MMS. I need MMS still.

What make / model is your phone ? Maybe we can better help guide you to disable data.

thecynic

That's a great suggestion, but I'm trying to actually avoid the internet when not necessary. That's why I want to be able to disable mobile data, but keep my connection for SMS, MMS, and calls.

@thecynic 

Why don’t you use WhatsApp or TextNow app for calling and texting but you need WiFi to operate and disable your cellular data as noted earlier. You can still send MMS on those apps.

thecynic

The phone I have does not have a setting to disable mobile data without also disabling MMS. I need MMS still.

@thecynic 

go in to your settings on the phone and disable data to all except critically req'd apps.

Abheer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There should be a setting like this on your phone 
image_2023-11-12_185815754.png

thecynic

I should've been more clear:

I want to have the ability to make phone calls, send and receive SMS and MMS messages, but I want a way to log into the My Account portal and turn off cellular data for my phone, to prevent myself from browsing the internet idly when I don't have to.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @thecynic 

remotely pause the data?  So you don't have then phone with you??  mind to share your situation and maybe we can think of workaround?

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@thecynic 

You can disable Cellular Data on your phone but if you are thinking of disable AutoPay/Subscribe payment. You can dial 1-855-4PUBLIC or 611 or on your account and disable payment.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Yes, @thecynic , however you also pause all calling and texting as well.

Simply place the account on Lost/Stolen mode in self-serve and nothing will work with the account until you remove that designation.

It would be easier to simply toggle off "mobile data", unless you're doing it for someone else ... you could also set the device with a data limiter to turn off mobile data after a certain pre-set data limit is reached, however you'd need the device to do that.

Abheer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @thecynic 
I do not believe it is possible to pause just the data, but you can pause your account by removing autopay by going to "Payments" > "Manage Subscription" and turn off the "subscribed" switch.  Then make sure to top up once within 90 days so your account is not deactivated.

Need Help? Let's chat.