cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage

Red051683
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I switched mid cycle to 4G upgraded my data amount etc ….  I just got a notification I have used 75% and only have 1.75G left out of 14G 

Never in my life have I used even half that much in a billing cycle.  Something is very wrong !  

help please. 

22 REPLIES 22

@Red051683 wrote:

The top 2 with the most usage are only 1.8 G 

and one used 2G this entire cycle so far. 

@Red051683   When did you click Reset data on iPhone?

When is your PM cycle start date?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Red051683 

I'm assuming you have Wi-Fi assist turned off but you can also enable low data mode so go to your settings tap on cellular data options listing at the top of the page on the ensuing screen go to low data mode and toggle that feature on.

Disable background app refresh or have it enabled only to use when connected to Wi-Fi.

You may also want to turn off location services under settings>>privacy>> location services.

Aha.... Found it..... Do you have an app called 'Uninstalled Apps" is that what is using a large majority of your data? If this is the culprit as far as I can tell there has not been a fix for iPhone yet and everything I've read so far is Apple officially declines to comment on this bug. It's related partly to iOS 13 and also an issue with the iPhone XR but is not limited to those devices or operating systems it can happen to anyone apparently with an iPhone.

Red051683

Smule 

Line (line was under a G) 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Red051683 

So.....what apps used your data so far?

Red051683

I did reset 😞 

I don’t ever have any apps running in the background & I don’t keep browser or anything open.  I also don’t stream anything.  I sound lame. But this is how/why I’m so shocked at the usage.   I did have this plan running last month on iPhone 12 Pro running 15.6 vs.  I switched over to this xr to see if it made a difference. It did not and actually ran out faster. 

thanks so much 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Red051683 

What app used 2gb? You have turned background data usage off on all your apps already haven't you? Sorry if I don't recall from last time if you have already.

Red051683

I did thanks 

Red051683

The top 2 with the most usage are only 1.8 G 

and one used 2G this entire cycle so far. 

if upgrading has caused this and I’m paying for 15G on the new 4G LTE upgrade and I am NOT getting the 15G than I feel a refund for both months is mandatory and something to be fixed. 

I am not mad but I’m pissy about it.  I am shocked.  

Ready to leave PM and take my sons account with me and just go to a regular carrier again. 

I left Telus to come back to PM because years ago id enjoyed PM so much.  My experience this time as not been favourable.   (That excludes the awesome customer support in this community- everyone has been great thank you) 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Red051683 

This could be a problem for you elsewhere so let's try and get to the bottom of it. So go through your applications looking at your data usage you're going to have a couple that use the majority of your data tell us what they are if there's one that doesn't make sense for you to be using or you've never heard of that's probably the one we're looking for. Like Safari if that is your browser that one will use more and that's to be expected but you're going to have one in there that makes no sense that's what we're looking for....

Don't make any desperate moves and change your plan cuz if you do you're losing the rest of your plan it's a suggest take a breath and we'll get you sorted out.

Here are the links to the dingbot Simon and the second one you can use to send a private message just read the spoiler first in that post.

To contact customer support : Submit a support ticket via SIMon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you cannot submit a ticket via SIMon then Click here   ....for additional member supplied info.

@Red051683 wrote:

Chatbot won’t give me an option to submit a ticket 

Use method 2:

2. If you don't have access to My Account or have trouble with Chatbot: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Also, when did you reset your iPhone usage? and when was the first day of your current cycle?  I would assume you didn't reset on the first day of your PM cycle?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Red051683 

Since you have reset your data tracker on your iPhone what app is using the majority of your data so far? I had a page bookmarked on a possible explanation for your issue but I haven't set up my new tablet and I killed my old tablet that had everything bookmarked on it and all my references and I'm working off my phone. Anyhow I suspect there's one application that is going to show the majority of your data usage but I can't for the life of me remember what it is right now.

I do agree this is insane amount of data to be using but I suspect it's part your device and part your operating system which I was under the impression they (Apple) had fixed this but maybe not I'm switching to full speed 4G LTE may have just been the catalyst for this little bug to come out.

Red051683

Chatbot won’t give me an option to submit a ticket 

Red051683

Yes I reset it on the phone.  I also just desperately changed my plan because I cannot be without data right now.   I will submit a ticket.  I’ve never experienced this with PM but I am ready to abort the company.  

thank you for your help 

@Red051683 

it has been some time since your last post, did you reset the iPhone data counter  to keep track on your device?  That is the best data tracking you have, except you have to reset it on day 1 of each cycle manually (iPhone does not have automatic reset feature).  

Honest, PM has been fairly accurate with data use.  But you can still open ticket with them and try to get it sorted out

1. If you have access to My account: At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you don't have access to My Account or have trouble with Chatbot: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply you there

Red051683

Xr 15.61 vs. 

Red051683

Ok now I’m really upset.  Second month now after switching to 4G upgraded plan that my data usage caps out beyond early.  

as above I said :  I have never even used more than 8G in my entire career being a cell phone user AND I now have the upgraded 15G plan and it is running out mid cycle.   Wtf. 

I reset my data usage to see what it would pull and it’s just over 3.8 G 

I need quick action on fixing this.  I feel ripped off and the 4G barely works any better than 3G.  I should never even use half the amount of G’s.   2 cycles paying this amount and not benefiting in any way.  

214ACCEE-FC41-4C36-9DD1-76878E9F57D6.png

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Red051683 

Do you have an iPhone? If so which one and what is the iOS version its running?

Red051683

It now says I am at my usage limit.  This is crazy.  I have never used 15G ever. Not even 8G in a cycle.   Wtf is going on 😞

@Red051683 wrote:

I don’t have a data tracker ? 

@Red051683   Are you on Android?  If so, you have a built in data tracker.  Mobile Data Usage page:

E-MobileData.png

You can change the "Start billing cycle on" date to match  the data cycle date with your PM cycle start date and you will tell how much data you used since that day

Also, login to My Account, check the usage there.  Check both your monthly data usage there as well as the Add-on Data usage.  The 75% could be a total of BOTH your regular monthly data and the add-on data

Or you can post a screenshot of your data usage so we can try to help

Red051683

I don’t have a data tracker ? 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Red051683 

Did you reset your data tracker in your phone to your new 30 day plan cycle dates and reset the data amount in your warning and data limiter?

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Check your account. It has the most accurate data count. Do not rely on SMS saying you have such and such left.

What your account says? Check your usage since renewal.

Need Help? Let's chat.