cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage tracking app

danette77
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi, does Public Mobile have a data usage tracking app or can someone recommend a good data usage tracking app? I am on a 90 day plan but the built in app on my phone only allows 30 day tracking. It would be nice to be able to track my data usage without having to log in to my Public Mobile account. 

47 REPLIES 47

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Ali125 definitely agree.

If you haven't already, would you please consider reviewing this idea and then clicking the Bravo button to give it another up-vote?  

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Public-Lab/phone-application/idi-p/12004

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Ali125
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
It would be better if PM create an app for Android and iPhone devices.

fiveplustwo77
I use My Data Manager on my Android device. It works great, even to support the 12G 30 days plan.

hirsh

For those with iOS: I use Dataman (http://www.xvision.me/dataman) to track my data usage. It doesn't support plans longer than 30 days at the moment, but I contacted the developer and he said he was working on it for a future version. For now I use the 30 day option and manually update the data once a month.

EDIT: the app was updated this morning to support any length of plan (including 90 days) and rollover data too. 

The numbers have exactly matched what I see in my account, and it has a nice colour coded widget.

srlawren
Thanks @IWIK 🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Rockdaddy22, @srlawren is correct. The app uses this API to periodically retrieve how man bytes have been sent and received (since boot). In Android older then the new 7, the API could be used to see how much data each app has sent and received (since boot) but this seems to be kind of temperamental, and certainly doesn't provide the content or destination address.

srlawren
@Rockdaddy22 I don't think it's a concern. @IWIK would be able to give more details but my understanding is there is an API that the operating system provides that provides a #of bytes used. I don't believe this apps have access to the contents of the data nor any details about you or where the data is headed.

Rockdaddy22
That's definitely pretty cool. What about privacy concerns with these kind of apps?

srlawren

@Rockdaddy22 that works, too.  But sometimes it's nice to have that info at a glance on your phone.  For example, if you look at the Data Witness thread I linked, I keep a widget on my desktop and can glance at it anytime I want without bringing up Chrome (Safari, etc), navigating to the site, and logging in.  (Sure, you can shortcut some of those by storing a shortcut directly to the site and/or using a password manager, but you get the point--the widget is just always there and easy).

Rockdaddy22
I personally don't use any kind of data monitoring app. I just check my self serve every so often.

srlawren

@ksivakanthan I don't use an iDevice, but I'm hoping another communtiy memeber can speak up with some options for you.  Maybe @Luddite or @jheili99 or @Rockdaddy22?

srlawren

@KSiva there are a couple of 3rd party options for Android that are adaptable to the 30/90 day plans at PM.

I personally use Data Witness, which was made by and provided free by community member @IWIK.  You can read more about it here:  http://community.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/IWIK-s-quot-Data-Witness-quot-for-Android-Gettin...

Others use and like My Data Manager, so you could check it out as well.  I haven't personally used it since I got set up on Data Witness first and never bothered.  Your mileage may vary.

ksivakanthan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Hi,

I have an iPhone and I would like to know how I can track my data usage. I checked the Apple Store and there's no app for public mobile.

Kindly advise

Thank you.

KSiva
Hi,

I have an android phone and I would like to know how I can track my data usage. I checked and there's no app for public mobile.

Kindly advise

Thank you.

Madman

shaner82
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Nevermind, I'm just going to pay the $1

shaner82
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I just recently signed up for PM.  I'm wondering if I can get a redemption code.  I'd love to try that app

kingstonian

It works fine for me, was going to pay but it didn't request payment... Downloaded 10 min ago...

Thanks for a great app.

IWIK

@stonechucker Data Witness PM is free and does not require a code. Data Witness requires a code.

I would continue to use the PM version and if you have any issues with it recognizing your SIM card then I can send you a code for Data Witness

I hope to get an update out today to relieve most of the SIM card issues

Hello @IWIK,

I just downloaded the app 'for PM' from the play store, and I don't believe I was asked for a code.  I think it's working nomally.

Should I get a code from you anyway, or let it go for now until I know otherwise?

IWIK

@maddog497 I'll gladly send you a code!

@freecity They are both the same, just Data Witness PM checks your SIM card to make sure you're with Public Mobile. It was in an effort to not have to manually send codes, but it hasn't worked out 100%

maddog497
Awesome, I'm on vacation in Cancun but have 2 Sim cards waiting for me when I return. I will definitely be downloading this app when I'm up and running.

@IWIK, I have zero issues with purchaseing your app, thank you.

freecity

@IWIK Thanks for the reply. I found out that my google family account is messing with my default address being set to the States. Is Data Witness PM the same as Data Witness (Beta)?

IWIK

@freecity Are you talking about Data Witness PM? Or another one?

If you are indeed talking about my Data Witness PM it is set to Canada only, are you using a vpn or anything?

freecity

Has anyone experienced issues stating the app is not available in your country? I have a PM sim installed as per the app description!

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@TroyDaBes wrote:

My Data Manager is a good app. It tracks a monthly plan or your own choice of date. That's what I'm currently using. It is pretty much identical to PM's data usage but with 20-50mb of difference. 

Thanks for this info. I downloaded the app and I am really impressed by what this app can do.

IWIK

@makkahn28 haha well there is a redemption code sitting in you private messages, wasn't quick enough.

Let me know if you have any problems or suggestions

And thanks for the support!

Nevermind, I paid the $1 for it

@IWIK, where can I get that code as well?

I wish to download that app on my device

IWIK

@ute1978 Unfortunately with the fee's that Apple wants to become a developer and their requirement of having a mac to use for the actual development, I don't see myself getting into iOS development.

I am however most likely going to lower the minimum OS requirement to 4.4 (KitKat) if anyone is interested in testing that.

Need Help? Let's chat.