cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data only works half the time

User9840
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I switched to Public Mobile on the $15/mo plan with 250MB of data back in May of this year, and noticed right away that my data only seems to work sometimes in some areas (I live in Ottawa). I put up with it / was too busy to do anything about it for a while, but now I'm trying to resolve the issue.

I also noticed that my call & text didn't work when I traveled to Sudbury this summer. I'm not particularly worried about that as I don't go there often, but it made me wonder if all of this is maybe due to a faulty SIM card. I was thinking of buying a new one and replacing it, but I thought I'd ask the community to see if anyone had any other ideas or suggestions  for what might be causing my data issue. Thanks so much in advance, I really appreciate your input!

11 REPLIES 11

hi @User9840 your Samsung should work well. Try Reset All Networks first.  And possible, try on another phone to test

User9840

Thanks so much for the replies so far! I should add some information:

My data is always off until I turn it on to use for small and specific tasks, like loading an app or checking my e-mails, never streaming of any kind. I haven't used over 100MB per month since I joined this plan. In fact, according to my Usage History in my Account, I used about 10MB in my last cycle and I can specifically recall instances of my data not working within the past month, so I suspect that the problem isn't that the data is all used up.

User9840

Wrong name, my bad! I meant @will13am 

User9840

Hi @Phil_Adelphus,

I ported my number over to PM from my previous provider, if it helps.

User9840

Hi @computergeek541,

Thanks for the advice about SIM cards, perhaps I'll keep looking for other solutions! That's also good to know about coverage in Northern Ontario.

User9840

Hi @hTideGnow ,

I have a Galaxy S20. Thanks for the advice on changing the network mode, I'll try playing with that next time my data isn't working.

@BKNS27 wrote:

@User9840 

If you phone indicates Public Mobile then you should be OK making callings (100 minutes outgoing) and texting.

As long as you are not using Google Maps for direction or doing  Google search. You should be find…the 250mb should be good for using apps… like McD😉

If you are worried about using up your data. You can put it on Airplane mode and disable it when you need data, calls or texting but but if a hassle.

My friend does this all the time.

I wouldn't see airplane as alternative for most customers.   As you know airplane mode would mean that person can't be contacted, so I don't see that as feasible.  It would be much easier to turn only data off.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@User9840 

If you phone indicates Public Mobile then you should be OK making callings (100 minutes outgoing) and texting.

As long as you are not using Google Maps for direction or doing  Google search. You should be find…the 250mb should be good for using apps… like McD😉

If you are worried about using up your data. You can put it on Airplane mode and disable it when you need data, calls or texting but but if a hassle.

My friend does this all the time.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@User9840   Did you port in your phone number from your previous provider or did you get a new PM number?   250MB is not very much, you're sure you don't just run out before the ends of the months?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@User9840 , SIM cards are almost never the problem.  I sense that when travelling in Northern Ontario, there can be gaps in coverage.  I have traveled along highway 17 too many time and coverage is all over the place.  As for intermittent data, I wonder if that is due to your data allotment being used up within a plan cycle.  250 mbytes is not much data.  Anyway keep an eye on network connection signal when outside of metropolitan areas.  Low signal strength can affect the usage.  

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @User9840 

what phone do yiu have?

try changing your network mode to 3G and check if it works better

Need Help? Let's chat.