cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working

mkoosting
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My data has recently stopped working for no discernable reason. My girlfriend has the exact same plan with public mobile that I do, and when she puts her SIM in my phone, her data works. When I log into my account on Selfserve it still shows that I have 1.5gb/90 days at 3G speed on my plan, and that I have 0.001mb/1536mb used. Calling and texting still works fine, as does wifi. What gives? Is my SIM busted, and if so how do I get a replacement?

23 REPLIES 23

Make sure you setup the APN settings.

Please follow and click this link here in order to set up your APN( access point names)  and then your mobile data will work.

jaythakkar1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

My data is not working.

Please help

Thank you

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mkoosting wrote:

I managed to get data working, by setting "use data while roaming" on. I have absolutely no idea why this would do the trick, but thanks everyone who told me to go fix my APN settings as this seems to have been part of the problem (it had the APN type set to MMS, rather than left blank, for some reason).

@mkoosting so even after the APN change (and rebooting the phone after), you still need to have use data while roaming turned on for data to work?  Very odd......

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mkoosting

I managed to get data working, by setting "use data while roaming" on. I have absolutely no idea why this would do the trick, but thanks everyone who told me to go fix my APN settings as this seems to have been part of the problem (it had the APN type set to MMS, rather than left blank, for some reason).

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mkoosting wrote:

@Pizzaeh wrote:
Check this link, with pictures......use at your own risk. ;o)

https://www.bestusefultips.com/reset-network-settings-android-phone/

As I said I have no such option anywhere in my settings as far as I can tell, neither under Settings>More or Backup and Reset.

If your SO's data works when she puts her SIM card in your phone, then it's probably account related.  If you haven't already, you should contact the mods.  There is nothing further we can do for you here.  

mkoosting

@Pizzaeh wrote:

As I said I have no such option anywhere in my settings as far as I can tell, neither under Settings>More or Backup and Reset.

mkoosting

@CS_Agent wrote:

Hello, @mkoosting

Thank you for your reply!

Please follow and click this link here in order to set up your APN( access point names)  and then your mobile data will work.

Thank you! 🙂

Moderator team

You're a bit behind. I already did this and it did not solve the problem.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello, @mkoosting

Thank you for your reply!

Thank you! 🙂

Moderator team

Pizzaeh

@mkoosting wrote:

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@mkoosting wrote:

@Pizzaeh wrote:
Which phone model do you have?

A Polaroid S50. Running Android 5.1.

Searched.....this is the closest when searching....

resetting network settings for Polaroid S50 Android 5.1...

I have no such option in settings, either under Settings > More, or under Backup and Reset, as far as I can tell.

mkoosting

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@mkoosting wrote:

@Pizzaeh wrote:

I have no such option in settings, either under Settings > More, or under Backup and Reset, as far as I can tell.

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mkoosting wrote:

@Pizzaeh wrote:

This is what I think of when people say the word Polaroid.

It was great in taking those discrete pictures that you didn’t want the photomat seeing. LOL

PS like my nail colour?

C47F7082-FC6A-48AD-99E2-ABD94E911B32.jpeg

mkoosting

@srlawren wrote:

@mkoosting wrote:

when she puts her SIM in my phone, her data works

@mkoosting out of curiosity, have you tried the opposite--putting your SIM in her phone?  If not, could you try it and let us know what the results are?

I did, the result was still no data but ingoing/outgoing calls and text working fine. That's why I assumed it was an issue with the SIM itself, data doesn't seem to work no matter what phone I use.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mkoosting wrote:

when she puts her SIM in my phone, her data works

@mkoosting out of curiosity, have you tried the opposite--putting your SIM in her phone?  If not, could you try it and let us know what the results are?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Pizzaeh

@mkoosting wrote:

@Pizzaeh wrote:

mkoosting

@Pizzaeh wrote:

Pizzaeh

@mkoosting wrote:

@krazykiwi wrote:

Have you tried resetting your newtork settings?

How would I do this?

Which phone model do you have?  Click the link and enter your phone model.

Search for resetting network settings for...

mkoosting

@krazykiwi wrote:

How would I do this?

@mkoosting wrote:

Lost/Stolen trick did nothing, I went and checked the APN settings and it had the APN Type set to MMS rather than left blank like the link you posted recommended. Unchecking that restored the little "3G" symbol beside the service bars when data is turned on which seems like it should have fixed it, but data still doesn't work, everything fails to load in the web browser and in apps even after a reset.

mkoosting

Lost/Stolen trick did nothing, I went and checked the APN settings and it had the APN Type set to MMS rather than left blank like the link you posted recommended. Unchecking that restored the little "3G" symbol beside the service bars when data is turned on which seems like it should have fixed it, but data still doesn't work, everything fails to load in the web browser and in apps even after a reset.

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@mkoosting wrote:

My data has recently stopped working for no discernable reason. My girlfriend has the exact same plan with public mobile that I do, and when she puts her SIM in my phone, her data works. When I log into my account on Selfserve it still shows that I have 1.5gb/90 days at 3G speed on my plan, and that I have 0.001mb/1536mb used. Calling and texting still works fine, as does wifi. What gives? Is my SIM busted, and if so how do I get a replacement?

I highly doubt that it is the sim, they are really robust and fail very seldom. 

What happens when you put your sim in your GF phone?

Did the Lost/Stolen procedure make a difference?

kazoo

You say same plan as SO. But if different phone, not a fair test. I can't say why your data would work and then stop. I do know that having set up four different phone makers' devices, the Asus was a pita due to the OS upgrade they pushed out that disappeared the APN edit feature. Good luck. 

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mkoosting wrote:

To determine if the SIM is busted or not, can you do incoming/outgoing call/text?

Your APN setting might vary from SIM to SIM, so try plug your card in and reset the APN setting as follows (Official, Per model).

Do the lost/found trick if both above doesn't work.

ZfromVanC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mkoosting wrote:

You can try the lost/stolen phone trick to re-provision your plan features.

1. Login to your self-serve account.
2. Report your phone lost/stolen using [Plan and Add-Ons] --> [Lost/Stolen Phone]
3. Log off
4. Wait 5 minutes and login again
5. Report your phone found.
6. Re-start you phone to provision your account again. i.e. enable all features of you plan again.

This will not blacklist your phone.

If that doesn't work you can message a moderator for help:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.