cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data is slow in kanata

zack3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm on the 4g plan (can-us plan). When I was in kanata. My speed was less than 1mbps but when I went back to Ottawa. My speed went up to 80+ Mbps. Anyone seen this issue before? I recently switched to public mobile from Koodo (which is also 4g) and I didn't have a noticeable issue when I was with Koodo (unfortunately didn't run a speed test as I didn't notice any slow down)

14 REPLIES 14

zack3

I did another speed test today near home Depot and near my house. I got over 100mbps... Not sure what changed between today and yesterday... It seems to be working now

@zack3   I asked because we were planning to drive by there today.  I did a speedtest on my phone (on 5G) as we passed by Home Depot Kanata and the result was 246 Mbps.  So no, data definitely isn't slow in Kanata!  All bets are off if you were actually inside Home Depot though, as softech mentioned that changes everything regardless of carrier

zack3

Yes!

@zack3 wrote:

I tried in the new house I'm moving to in kanata and it was slow as well as in a home Depot nearby

@zack3 

not sure about the new house, but for Home Depot, connection inside those type of store, Home Depot or Costco  etc , always have problem from my experience  with any carrier.  This is likely due to the material used in those stores blcoked some signals

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@zack3   Is that the Home Depot next to Costco?

zack3

One thing to note that changed since my move from Koodo. When I was with Koodo, I had a physical sim. With public mobile, I now use an esim. I don't think this is related but adding this in just in case something changes

zack3

That's exactly what I expected given Koodo/public mobile is using Telus at the end of the day and both are 4g plans

zack3

I tried two locations in kanata (my new house) and a home Depot that is 8 min away and both were slow. Signal wise, in kanata, I never see close to fill bars like I do when I'm in Ottawa

zack3

I do have it set to automatic, however, I read previous posts that said changing it to LTE specifically instead of automatic which tries to use 5g might help. In my case it didn't. As for the location, I tried in the new house I'm moving to in kanata and it was slow as well as in a home Depot nearby

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @zack3 take the actual reading next time, network speed in different could be different, but could also be just one off

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Less cell towers. Old cell towers. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@zack3 

it is possible

(add: to clarify, possible due to location but not due to carrier change, they use the same Telus/Bell network)

do you have Network mode set to Automatic? Usually it is sufficient to leave it like that, but you can try changing to 5G or 4G explicitly and see if it helps (Yes, you can use the 5G network even you have a 4G/LTE plan, just that your speed will be capped based on the plan you have)

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@zack3 Was it slow at one location or all over Kanata? It's possible the closest tower was far away and you had weak signal. On PM, you should have 4G speed throughout Canada as long as signal is good in the area you are in. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@zack3  Should still be on par with Koodo . But US roaming can be hit or miss in different areas . 

Need Help? Let's chat.