cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data burning very fast

maggieip
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

20Gb/month

I got it on 5 Jan,but gone in 3 days.I only used on whatsapp,facebook like normal.Only 40 mins on Netflix one time.Is it abnormal?

10 REPLIES 10

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@maggieip  Also,  did you check the Usage History?

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/plan-and-Add-ons/call-history/

focus on the Web traffic and see if the time and consumption make sense.

If you are on Android, there is a way to trace back as well. Let us know and will walk you through  (Sorry, not for iPhone)

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@maggieip Have you turned off wifi by accident thus consuming lots of data in such little time? This could be the reason why you ran out of data. 

If you have a iPhone, have you checked settings for a feature called wifi switching? This happens when your phone is in a low wifi signal area and switches automatically to data. Turn off that feature if it is enabled.

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

20GB in 3 days...thats a lot of data for that timeframe. If it wasnt the video, check if your phone settings if it was setup as to get any update over phone data. Normally people setup to update phone on WiFi only.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@maggieip wrote:

20Gb/month

I got it on 5 Jan,but gone in 3 days.I only used on whatsapp,facebook like normal.Only 40 mins on Netflix one time.Is it abnormal?

For the first 3 days after activation, your data speed is full LTE speed.  After 3 days, your LTE speed will be capped to 3Mbps.  If you were watching HD video without wifi enabled, it will use lots of mobile data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@maggieip 

for more information about Managing Your Data Usage visit  Here link to save your data...

and turn off background data, to save your data.

when your data limit used all, is will be off until next renewal cycle,

at public mobile 30 day Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,

Oops.jpeg

Anonymous
Not applicable

And OS/app updates should only be done on wifi (if you like to conserve data).

Edit: oh and cloud syncing and all the other background app settings.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@maggieip   

Did you said they are gone in 3 days from your phone counter or verified with what showing on Self-Serve My Account?

Netflix could be a killer if you watch good quality

Whatsapp could take lots too if you keep receiving clips 

Facebook, auto play video could wasted much data

Are you on Android or iPhone?  May I suggest you to install some app to track data usage?  With a proper tracker you can tell exactly which app used the data and how much consumed.  But you will need something that can track PM's 30 days cycle (Android build-in tracker only does monthly cycle while iPhone does not have monthly data tracker at all)

For Android , try Data Counter widget or Data Witness PM

For iOS: My Data Manager.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@maggieip 

do you recall what the quality of the video was? you're account was just set up so it's quite possible. you might have still had full speed lte

Estimated data consumption per hour (YouTube):
360p 315MB
480p 562MB
720p(30fps) 1.27GB+
1080p(30fps) 2.03GB+
4k(30fps) 10.58GB+

maybe you watched 40 min but the whole video was downloaded in that time

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Go into phone settings and shut OFF data to apps that aren't being used.. Use wifi for most apps whenever possible.

edit...be aware that steaming movies / music will chew through data perdy fast. Use wifi !!

Need Help? Let's chat.