cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage

Griffyn1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello again,

Is anyone able to explain to me why I keep getting alerts about how Chrome is using more data than usual when I have Chrome set to use WiFi only?  What am I missing??  Is there a different way to set Chrome to force it not to use data unless I allow it?

Thanks.

GriffynIMG_0979.jpegIMG_0980.jpeg

12 REPLIES 12

yes @Griffyn1 

pretty much it is a reset of the Chrome.  So, disable it, which uninstall all updates, reboot phone and reenable it.  Go to play store and update Chrome

Griffyn1

hTideGnow…my plan was to Uninstall it and then Reinstall it.  Will Disabling it act as a reset?  And once I Disable Chrome, will I then be able to Enable it again?

Griffyn

Griffyn1

Thanks for your help, everyone who replied.  I don’t think I can actually get rid of Chrome so I guess I’ll monitor my total data usage.

Griffyn

IMG_0989.jpeg

hi @Griffyn1 

disable will uninstall all the updates and leave the original Chrome there.  The reason  you cannot fully uninstall it because it is part of the OS for your build.  But it is good enough to disable and it won't be used if it is in disabled stage

but if you disable Chrome, which browser you plan to use? you have other choices but Chrome is one of the best one

Griffyn1

….no, long press on the app on the home screen gives me Select, Remove, Disable, Widgets.  When I tap Select, my options are then Disable and Remove.  Will Disabling it actually uninstall it?

Griffyn

HI @Griffyn1 

you can uninstall those update and set the app to disable if you want

But i suggest you to uinstall the update, reboot and go back and install Chrome and keep it.  Chrome is one of the best browsers to be used on Android

Griffyn1

Thanks for the suggestion, Phil_Adelphus…when I go to Manage Apps in the Google Play Store, select Chrome then click on the garbage can, a pop up asks if I want to Uninstall updates for selected app?  Under that it says, system apps remain on your device but any updates will be uninstalled.  If I select Uninstall, will that do the trick?

Thanks.

Griffyn

Griffyn1

Hi golfball…here are the screenshots showing total usage and Chrome’sIMG_0986.jpegIMG_0988.jpeg usage.  I think Chrome’s data usage is a substantial amount considering I have it turned off.

Griffyn

Sorry for the sideways shots, my rotation icon seems to have disappeared.

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Is Chrome actually using data on your usage tracking or is it just a notification?

@Griffyn1   If you long press on the app on the home screen does it not give you the option to uninstall?  Otherwise go to it in manage your apps in Play Store and uninstall it there.

Griffyn1

Thanks hTideGnow…I was going to follow your suggestions and then get back to you but it seems that I don’t know how to delete the app and reinstall it😳!  Don’t I go into my Apps in Settings?  From there, I don’t know how to get rid of it.  The three dots only give me the Uninstall Updates option and at the bottom of the screen, it says Open, Disable and Stop.  Would you please tell me the steps to uninstall Chrome?

Thanks for your time and patience!

Griffyn

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Griffyn1 

this is a network issue with PM

try reboot the phone, clear Chrome cache or even uninstall and reinstall Chrome

Need Help? Let's chat.