cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing to 5G US plan

Jeenz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm currently on a 3G grandfathered plan & would like to switch to the new $34 plan with 5G US-CAN & 50GB on renewal. I have 2 questions;

- Will I still get the legacy rewards. I get $9 off every month now

- Will I need a new SIM as I still have the one from 6 yrs ago.

Thks 

9 REPLIES 9

Dartguy

Thanks. That's what I assumed, but then read some things that seemed counter to that idea.

I will have to seek out those posts about connecting in the U.S. I would have thought the phone will automatically connect only to an appropriate network. My son is heading to NYC on the weekend. I assume things there should be straightforward...

abtest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Dartguy- If you are on a Canada-US plan:  You should turn on roaming (and just leave it on).  Yes you can call back to Canada(it's included in the plan).  Basically, you use your phone in the US just as you would in Canada.  Just be aware of the technical differences when making calls in the US.  There are several post about connecting to the appropriate network.

Dartguy

I am now on the 50 GB Can-US plan but I am not sure about a few things:

• Do I need to turn on roaming when in the States, or that's not necessary under this plan?
  • Can I make calls in the states to Canada at no charge? I have read both yes and no in these forums
  • If I can't make calls from the States but I can use data, is it just a matter of being sure not to make any phone calls while keeping the data turned on 😶
  • Is any of this explained anywhere in detail on the site?
  •  

Perfect @Jeenz 

Recommendation is to never, EVER, switch to points.   

The biggest drawback is the Loyalty aspect:   

• On the Legacy rewards, you're currently getting $60 off per year, or $5 every cycle.
  • On Public Points, you'd only get $10 off per year in points, and that never increases.

Jeenz

Thanks. I definitely want to retain the rewards, not a big fan of the points. I scheduled it for next renewal. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Jeenz 

No one explicitly wrote this, so I will.

You will retain the legacy rewards SO LONG AS you do not elect to switch to Public Points.

SO, don't switch to Public Points, regardless of whether Public Mobile suggests it may be beneficial to do so.

It isn't, especially in your situation of years of service.

And be sure to make the change on your NEXT RENEWAL as if you choose an IMMEDIATE plan change there's no proration or refunds on partial cycle days remaining.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Rewards stay as is.
No need for new SIM

Just to schedule plan change instead of change plan NOW to avoid extra charge as you will be charged immediately is=f you change plan NOW.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @Jeenz 

YES. You will continue to get your Legacy Rewards.

NO. Your SIM card will work just fine.

I just switched to the $34 Can/US plan myself. Going to Vegas in a month. WHoooo.

MandyJS
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You'll still get your legacy rewards and your same SIM will work just fine. I also was in your boat and had no troubles switching over. 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.