cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change from a Sim to eSim

DavidCooke
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I received a dual sim work phone.  I want to convert my physical sim card with Public Mobile to an eSim so that I can have both my work line and personal line on the same device.  Is it possible to purchase just an eSim from Public Mobile?  After following the instruction on the website, it seems eSim is only available to new customers?  If it's available to all customers, can you send me a link to purchase an eSim?  Thank you

27 REPLIES 27

narora

Yes, you are right

Birch_Oak
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for your answer, when you said your physical sim will be transferred to your eSIM and the physical sim will no longer work, does that mean my current subscription will also migrate to the eSIM automatically ? 

narora

Hello,

yes, you can now switch from a physical sim to an esim while maintaining the same phone number. Read through this thread and you will find a way to do it.

thanks

KrisNiel73

Has any advancement been made on this?  Can I transfer my physical SIM to an eSim while maintaining the same phone number?  Or conversely, I will terminate the account with the physical SIM and start a new account with an eSim and transfer my number.  Is this possible?

HI @abe531 eSIM is electronic sim, not a physical sim

Honest, if you are not sure what is eSIM, physical sim properly is better and less costly on long term and you should stick with it

And no, using eSIM does not need to change phone number 

narora

Hello there, 

you just have to purchase an esim, your phone number will remains the same, but your physical sim will be transferred to the esim, and you can no longer use the physical sim card 

abe531

By new eSim number do you mean the sim id, or do you mean your telephone number changes? Sorry if that seems self-evident , but want to make sure. Thanks

DavidCooke

Thank you!  It tripped up on activation but I was able to correct it by logging into the website and installing the eSIM from there.

Very happy eSIMs support has been added for existing Public Mobile customers!

narora

Hello David, 

open public mobile app, there is a little + mark at bottom left corner, click on that + and go to subscriptions and add ons. Go to very bottom and there is an option to buy sim card, click on shop shim card now, select to buy esim card there to start the process. 

DavidCooke

There is no option on the app or webpage to purchase an esim under "add-ons" or "change subscription".  

@DavidCooke wrote:

How do you "Begin the esim activation process"? There doesn't appear to be any option within the app to do that...

@DavidCooke 

you need to buy the new eSIM from My Account

Using the app on your phone, login and go to  the ‘Overview’ or ‘Subscription & Add-ons’ page in your account to purchase either an eSIM and follow the instructions to insall it on your phone

DavidCooke

How do you "Begin the esim activation process"? There doesn't appear to be any option within the app to do that...

narora

Hello there,

yes, now you can transfer your physical sim to esim. See instructions below

IMG_1346.jpeg

narora

Hello David,

it’s possible now to transition to an esim for existing customers. Below is the procedure to do it

IMG_1346.jpeg

@Naser5654  No not yet . Some are hoping soon . But honestly . Myself I prefer physical SIM card . You can change device on your own with extra cost of eSIM every time . Even if they could offered it everyone you chnage devices 

Naser5654

Any changes in the policy regarding switching to esim for existing customers 

@PJ74  not yet, eSIM still for new activation only at the moment

hopefully we will have good news for existing subscribers soon, maybe another month.  Keep checking the Community

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@PJ74 no eSIM still only for new activation , not existing customers . So for now if you get a eSIM and delete it or get a new phone you need to go back to physical SIM card 

PJ74

Has this situation changed?  

HI @DavidCooke  you have a profile from 2017 , so you are on the OLD rewards?  Don't do it. when you come back, you are on the new rewards, and much worse discount

Best to wait till PM has a date  for existing customers to change to eSIM.

@DavidCooke  Yes unfortunately , best to keep your rewards intact and PM Will eventually allow the rest of us to hop on board … and truth be told lots of folks are having issues with the esims activating right  now .best to let them be the Guinea pigs  first 

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@DavidCooke Yes, your account would be closed and you would lose everything associated with it in regards to promotions credits, and rewards.

DavidCooke

If I port out to another carrier, and then port back to public mobile a few hours later, will I lose my rewards?  Obviously I would be doing this solely to get an eSim....

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@DavidCooke   Yes eSIM is only for new activations at the moment

Can I switch from a physical SIM to eSIM?

Currently, we do not offer the option to switch from a physical SIM to an eSIM. Customers can only obtain an eSIM during activation or when transferring between eSIMs. We are actively working on offering this option, stay tuned for updates.

(ref: https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/esim-faqs

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @DavidCooke   no eSIM for existing customers for now.  But PM is working on it and will come out with a solution soon

DavidCooke

That's unfortunate.  I guess I'm looking for a new carrier.  Thanks anyway.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@DavidCooke  You can’t at the moment , it’s just for new activations for the time being 

Need Help? Let's chat.