cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send message with Public Mobile - error 42

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hello, when I try to send a SMS to this one number is try for a couple minutes then a message pops up at the bottom of my screen saying "Cannot send message with public mobile - error 42" does anyone know what that means or why it's happening? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@jp2 wrote:

All other numbers work that I text.

I already have a +1 in front of the number as this is a contact I've texted multiple times before. I'm more looking for what error 42 means because I'm trying to troubleshoot their phone.

@jp2 I have seen references elsewhere to it having to do with the recipient inadvertently blocked texts from a number resulting in this error code. As an aside apparently you can block only texts and not calls from a number, though I haven't looked to far into that.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

dust2dust
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Is this to an international - non-US/Canada - number?

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@jp2   Try adding 1 in front of the number although it should not be necessary but worth a try?

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@jp2  Maybe try +1 or +011 in front. Is the number international?

jp2

@dust2dust no it is a Canadian number 

jp2

I already have a +1 in front of the number as this is a contact I've texted multiple times before. I'm more looking for what error 42 means because I'm trying to troubleshoot their phone.

softech
Mayor / Maire

@jp2 what kind of number is that? is that a personal phone? what area code is that?

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@jp2 wrote:

@jp2 I have seen references elsewhere to it having to do with the recipient inadvertently blocked texts from a number resulting in this error code. As an aside apparently you can block only texts and not calls from a number, though I haven't looked to far into that.

jp2

Yes, it's a personal number same area code as me. Alberta

dust2dust
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I wouldn't be sure it's their phone. How often have you been trying and over how long a period of time? Maybe backup the conversation if you want to keep it and then delete it and try again.