cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send message with Public Mobile - error 42

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hello, when I try to send a SMS to this one number is try for a couple minutes then a message pops up at the bottom of my screen saying "Cannot send message with public mobile - error 42" does anyone know what that means or why it's happening? 

13 REPLIES 13

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@jp2 

There is a couple possible fixes for this issue/error code 42. As mentioned by @kb_mv and depending on the type of phone it is possible to block only SMS but still allow MMS and calling from a contact.

Does the user or do you use Google assistant? If you have used Google assistant to send a text conversation it can then interfere with you sending a normal text in that same conversation.

Disable Google assistant and/or if you have not used it previously then completely delete the contact in the messaging app. Create a brand new contact with the phone number.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@jp2 wrote:

@kb_mv thanks I haven't checked that yet because they said they aren't receiving messages from anyone anymore I ruled that out. Might be worth checking though. They couldn't have blocked texts from all incoming numbers by accident could they? 

@jp2 My sister has her DND settings set to stop all texts from everyone so the setting is in there somewhere. She allows only calls through over night for emergencies. So it is possible to block them all.

jp2

@kb_mv thanks I haven't checked that yet because they said they aren't receiving messages from anyone anymore I ruled that out. Might be worth checking though. They couldn't have blocked texts from all incoming numbers by accident could they? 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

try a different sms app  Some ppl got that resolved with another app

or at least clear cache for the messaging app you are using 

I wouldn't be sure it's their phone. How often have you been trying and over how long a period of time? Maybe backup the conversation if you want to keep it and then delete it and try again.

jp2

Yes, it's a personal number same area code as me. Alberta

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@jp2 wrote:

All other numbers work that I text.

I already have a +1 in front of the number as this is a contact I've texted multiple times before. I'm more looking for what error 42 means because I'm trying to troubleshoot their phone.

@jp2 I have seen references elsewhere to it having to do with the recipient inadvertently blocked texts from a number resulting in this error code. As an aside apparently you can block only texts and not calls from a number, though I haven't looked to far into that.

@jp2 what kind of number is that? is that a personal phone? what area code is that?

jp2

All other numbers work that I text.

I already have a +1 in front of the number as this is a contact I've texted multiple times before. I'm more looking for what error 42 means because I'm trying to troubleshoot their phone.

jp2

@dust2dust no it is a Canadian number 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@jp2  Maybe try +1 or +011 in front. Is the number international?

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@jp2   Try adding 1 in front of the number although it should not be necessary but worth a try?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Is this to an international - non-US/Canada - number?

Need Help? Let's chat.