cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive Texts from one person

McAfee74
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi All,

Newly activated plan for my son that allows for unlimited messaging and being used on an iPhone.

- He can send and receive messages from everybody but ME! 

- He can successfully send me a text but I can't send to him.

- Messages I send to him show as sent successfully on my phone (Android) but he doesn't receive them and they don't register in the account activity when I check the activity online under the account.

- I checked if I was blocked by accident (I'm not).

- I have rebooted both phones.

Any assistance greatly appreciated! Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@McAfee74 

Try this too and see if it helps.. Goto his settings and make sure these are Enabled. 

iphone-not-receiving-texts-from-android-1.jpeg

If that doesn't work too, then 'Delete Old Message Thread' on both phones and start new one. 

McAfee74

There's a setting "only send SMS and MMS Messages" in the settings within my chat with my son. If I turn that on it works. If I toggle that off it doesn't.

I'm not sure what that does for data and such? I'll do an Internet search on it but I have unlimited texting so it shouldn't matter too much I don't think. It's a setting specifically with just the chat with him.

We're on the same WiFi network while I'm testing this. Not sure if that matters.

McAfee74

Very clear instructions thanks... unfortunately this didn't fix the issue.

1. In Settings, go to Messages and turn off iMessage. Then, in Settings, go to FaceTime and turn off FaceTime. Finally, reboot your device and enable the two options again.

If the above still does not solve it, then try:

2. Reset your network settings (Settings > General > Reset Network Settings)

McAfee74

It took me about 3 hours with Apple tech support to get his Apple ID set up under Family Sharing last night. I ended up having to do an hour long screen share in the end with a senior Apple support tech to get it working so I'm hoping this isn't solution.

I'll try some other slightly less invasive things first to see if they might work first. Thank you though! I may have to try this in the end even though I don't want to.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@McAfee74 

If you are on Android, try adjusting your Chat messages options.

1. Go under Messaging app, 
  2. click 3 little dots top right, 
  3. select Settings, 
  4. under Chat settings, scroll to "Select default messaging type", 
  5. toggle it to Automatic or Text/multimedia msg

(EDIT:  on reflection, it does sound like an iMessage setting on the iPhones, however )

@McAfee74 try and re-register his apple ID

Sign out of every Apple service and device that uses your Apple ID, except the one you're using to change your Apple ID.
Go to Settings > [your name] > Name, Phone Numbers, Email.
Next to Reachable At, tap Edit > Delete.
Tap Continue and follow the instructions.
After you enter the mobile phone number that you want to use as your Apple ID, a verification code is sent to you at that number. Enter the verification code from the text into the fields provided.
Sign back in to all Apple services with your new Apple ID.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

1. In Settings, go to Messages and turn off iMessage. Then, in Settings, go to FaceTime and turn off FaceTime. Finally, reboot your device and enable the two options again.

If the above still does not solve it, then try:

2. Reset your network settings (Settings > General > Reset Network Settings)

Need Help? Let's chat.