cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't make calls/send texts after transferring SIM into another phone

emilyfox
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently transferred my SIM (data plan: 50 International Outgoing Texts and Unlimited Incoming Texts, 50 minutes of Canada-wide Talk) from a Galaxy to iPhone 5, which is not locked to any network. I can receive texts (local and international) but cannot send any nor make any calls, local, national or international. When I call any number (including local with same area code) I hear a message saying my plan doesn't cover long distance calls. SIM is clearly working (receives texts, which show up on my usage when I look online). So what is going wrong? Do I need to go through some other process to register the new phone to use with the existing SIM to make calls? Can't find anything in online help. Thanks for any advice.

4 REPLIES 4

Moni
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I have the same problem, did you find the solution? but I didn't change my phone

@emilyfox

As stated above, if network reset does not work, you will likely need to contact moderator, but the wait times are 2-3 days.  

If you have a data add on, does your data work?  

As you wait, you could try a few things: (if you have not tried yet)

1. Re-boot phone

2.  Check APN setting (more important for data)

3. Factory reset your phone

4.  Trick:  in self service account, choose your phone as stolen/lost.  Logout.  Wait a few minutes,  Login and choose phone found.  Sometimes that resets your SIM card.  

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Welcome to Public Mobile @emilyfox

Did you try what @will13am suggested by putting 1 in front of the number you are trying to call?

Also when doing that, you may still get a message stating that the call is long distance and charges may apply. However, if you wait the call will still connect. So just make sure you wait long enough to see if the phone call goes through.

A few other things, what kind of phone are you using? Is it iOS, Android or another type? Was it locked to a carrier before? When did you transfer the number over to Public Mobile? Did you do it youself online or with a person in store/kiosk?

Some of these details would be helpful for community members to provide assistance.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@emilyfox, there are a few possible issues.  One could be the phone needs some sort of network reset.  I am not an iPhone user and so I don't know 100% how that works.  I have seen it discussed in this forum about doing that and also downloading something that is carrier specific.  Check the settings to look for such options.  The other possible issue is account provisioning, although it usually seems to affect those with province wide calling.  Try adding a 1 on front of the 10 digit number and if that doesn't resolve the problem, it could be account provisioning problem.  For that you will need assistance from the moderator team to resolve.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include in the private message account number and PIN code along with a detailed description of the issue and the required resolution. This will speed up problem resolution significantly. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.

Need Help? Let's chat.