cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't call a certain number

hellenz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

Since Sat, when I call my mom's number, it keeps on saying "talk is not included in my plan". But I'm able to call other numbers. Is there anything wrong?

Thank you.

Hellen

14 REPLIES 14

@hellenz wrote:

Adding 1 made it work. Thank you very much!

I know the issue was resolved a few days ago now, but I'm just curious if you moved or travelled before Saturday and are now calling from a different location that is now no longer in the same local calling area as your mom .

ie. if you are in Vancouver, you can call a Vancouver number without a 1. If you then travel to Calgary, calling a Vancouver number would require prefixing the "1" to avoid the long distance warning.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hellenz : Thanks for the update. Usually the needing 1 in front is in response to the message saying that some charges may apply. Not the one that you said you got.

@hellenz wrote:

adding 1 does make it work. Thank you very much.

I had been calling her without the 1 in front and it always worked. Just stopped working on Sat.

@hellenz Glad it got sorted out. I have all of my contacts saved with the +1 in the number. That way no matter where I am and no matter where in Canada I am calling, it works.

hellenz

Adding 1 made it work. Thank you very much!

hellenz

adding 1 does make it work. Thank you very much.

I had been calling her without the 1 in front and it always worked. Just stopped working on Sat.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@kb_mv 

Nothing that the mom does with the setting on the phone can make the other person receive a network generated message. Something such as airplane mode would only cause the mom's phone to not ring.

@computergeek541 Hence my question to @Dunkman 

@kb_mv 

Nothing that the mom does with the setting on the phone can make the other person receive a network generated message. Something such as airplane mode would only cause the mom's phone to not ring.

@Anonymous wrote:

@kb_mv : It may be easier but think of that as the first try. Deleting and re-creating as a complete try. Maybe something's tripped up in the contact.

@hellenz : Can you manually dial the number? Rather than if you're possibly using a contact.

@Anonymous I'll buy the manually dialling the number as a good first step but to re input a contact (at least for me) is a royal pain. Mine contain all the phone numbers, email addresses and mailing address as applicable for each contact. Deleting one and rein-putting it when a manual dial will tell you the same thing seems like too much work.

@Dunkman wrote:

@hellenz 

If above suggestions don't help, try to call your mother with another phone.  Just to make sure there is no problem on her side.  Maybe her phone is not in service, accidentally on airplane mode or blocked your number?

You could also try a network reset on your phone if rebooting phone does not help first.  

Are you using an app to call her or others?  ie. WhatsApp etc.

@Dunkman The OP is getting a message that "talk is not included" when she tries to call her mom. How could this be affected by a block or airplane mode on Moms phone?

@hellenz 

If above suggestions don't help, try to call your mother with another phone.  Just to make sure there is no problem on her side.  Maybe her phone is not in service, accidentally on airplane mode or blocked your number?

(Edit: probably not the cause as pointed out by kb-mv. Thanks)

You could also try a network reset on your phone if rebooting phone does not help first.  

Are you using an app to call her or others?  ie. WhatsApp etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kb_mv : It may be easier but think of that as the first try. Deleting and re-creating as a complete try. Maybe something's tripped up in the contact.

@hellenz : Can you manually dial the number? Rather than if you're possibly using a contact.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@RossN wrote:

@hellenz wrote:

Hi,

Since Sat, when I call my mom's number, it keeps on saying "talk is not included in my plan". But I'm able to call other numbers. Is there anything wrong?

Thank you.

Hellen

@hellenz hi delete your mom's number from your contacts and add it again with a 1 in front of it 

@RossN @hellenz Be easier just to edit the contact and enter the +1.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@hellenz wrote:

Hi,

Thank you.

Hellen

@hellenz hi delete your mom's number from your contacts and add it again with a 1 in front of it 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Try dialing 1 + area code.  Try rebooting your phone.  Which plan do you have ?  Do you have limited or unlimited minutes ?

Need Help? Let's chat.