cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I roam in Egypt?

Jonya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I travel to Egypt sometimes and sometimes I need to make phone calls using my Canadian number. So can I make phone calls using my public mobile service in Egypt? And what are fees for roaming in Egypt?

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jonya 

Sorry, at Public Mobile service can't be used in Egypt, only in Canada and they offer USA roaming...

Thank you @hairbag1 and @softech, I was not aware of that and I was under wrong impression you cannot...

@Yummy...from my personal experience.....with TextNow you can call most any Cdn or US number from outside of Canada. As long as you have a robust wifi signal....works great...and it's gratis !!

Most cafes, resorts and other establishments have free wifi...sometimes you just have to ask for their password.

Give it a test drive when you get some time.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Jonya no, there is no roaming other than in USA.  Those VoIP app mentioned above is your best option to use overseas to call home.  as long as you have WiFi,  you can use. 

You might want to check if there is prepaid plan in Egypt so you can use data there and the VoIP app will work anytime you have data turned on as well

@Yummy yes Textnow can be used anywhere in the World  with wifi or Mobile Data to call back US and Canada for free.  This is the beauty of VoIP app.  Other app like Fongo is the same

@hairbag1 wrote:

alternative is to get free voip app like TextNow. Using wifi, you'll be able to call and text anyone in Canada or USA...for free.

This is interesting... Are you sure one can use TextNow to call USA/Can from overseas???

My impression is you can use TextNow WHILE in USA/Can to call North American number for free AND other countries for small fee. I am not sure you can use it from overseas to call North American number (but I might be wrong).

What works for me is Viber! Easy call to anywhere (but need Viber on the other side of the call).

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Jonya...once you land in Egypt, you'll find your PM service (talk, text or data) won't work.

There are no add-ons for Egypt...yet.

I'd suggest you get a local sim and a cheap plan while you're overseas. Find a plan there that allows calling back to Canada or wherever you'll be calling.

edit, alternative is to get free voip app like TextNow. Using wifi, you'll be able to call and text anyone in Canada or USA...for free.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Jonya 

No, PM only works in Canada or the US with an add on.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

No. You can only use phone in Canada or USA..but with an add-on. 

Need Help? Let's chat.