cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I port my number if I still have 5 months left on my contract?

rachellemaynard
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I want to make the switch to Public Mobile from Fido. Our account is in good standing, but we still have 5 months left on our contract. We're happy to pay the penalties to swtich, but want to know if we can port our numbers over without issue?

6 REPLIES 6

@rachellemaynard wrote:

I want to make the switch to Public Mobile from Fido. Our account is in good standing, but we still have 5 months left on our contract. We're happy to pay the penalties to swtich, but want to know if we can port our numbers over without issue?

You can actually port any time you want.  You would just have to pay back any remaining device balance.  As if there will be any issues with porting, anything's possible, but any such issues won't be because of your current Fido contract.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

one of the safer options,  is to get a text only plan for 10 ($11) or 30 ($25) days, on the 18-19 of Nov, then  once teh plan is created to future date the promo plan by nov 20th.  then you can do your port once all the dust has settled and the backlog has been cleared, that way if you run into troubles you will get a faster response 

nekkidtruth
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@dubcanada wrote:

The porting issues seem to all be Telus related. I suspect a Rogers port would probably go through fine.

There are multiple threads on the forums here from people who were not TELUS or Koodo customers experiencing issues with porting. There are multiple threads pertaining to Fido as well. While it will most likely go through without issue, it's best to warn that there are some issues currently.

dubcanada
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The porting issues seem to all be Telus related. I suspect a Rogers port would probably go through fine.

nekkidtruth
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi rachellemaynard!

There are some porting issues at the moment. Unfortunately it's not an issue every time so there's no way to answer your question definitively right now.

The only way to know would be to try and port. The other option would be to wait until the issue is determined and resolved.

akagw
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You usually can and pay a fee per each month of your remaining contract. As far as porting goes, as long as you don't cancel before porting you should be ok. Fido specific info can be found elsewhere in this Community.

Need Help? Let's chat.