cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls "breaking up"

jonathanbaylis
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been on Public Mobile (PM) for years and have put up with silent seconds in the middle of calls, when the person on the other end tells me they can't hear me or my call is "breaking up."  Moderators have told me to restart my iPhone; not helpful.  This happens on nearly every call I make or receive.  Do all PM customers experience this?  Do I need to change providers?  Do PM customers get full access to the Telus network?  Or are we receiving leftover bandwidth?  Can anyone help me with this?  My wife and I are both using the iPhone SE, an excellent unit IMHO.  Thanks in advance for your kind help.

110 REPLIES 110

@Langlois wrote:

My daughter who is having the same problems with calls cutting out just got a text message from Public Mobile saying that the 3G network is being phased out and she should switch to Koodo or Telus. Strange if this is the case what is going to happen to Public Mobile?

For Manitoba, It's only parts of the 3g network. Things changed a few months ago for parts of Manitoba and one of the frequencies isn't there any more. The other is still there.  The 3g network is only required for calls because Public Mobile doesn't have volte. You're in BC but are you sure it's from Public Mobile? Some Telus and Koodo dealers have spread false info before to get people to switch.

@gpixel wrote:

@Langlois 

this text message was to a b.c. number?

if that's the case than pm is shutting down...

PM isn't shutting down.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calling @wetcoaster in that area of the Island... 🙂

@Langlois 

this text message was to a b.c. number?

if that's the case than pm is shutting down...

@Langlois  which area or province you are at?  Manitoba?

Oh you are in B.C.

Telus has reduced some 3G coverage in Manitoba earlier this year and that affected PM service as there is no VoLTE for PM

Solved: Text From PM About Changes To Manitoba Prepaid Net... - Community (publicmobile.ca)

Do you mind to post of screenshot of the text?

Langlois

My daughter who is having the same problems with calls cutting out just got a text message from Public Mobile saying that the 3G network is being phased out and she should switch to Koodo or Telus. Strange if this is the case what is going to happen to Public Mobile?

@Langlois 

Its good to hear that your signal isn't being left to blow in the wind and pm's tech team is working on the problem. Remember purchases such as the one you are considering come with support and pm/telus could also provide advice/support on ideal placement and installation. Before any purchase seek as much advice as possible from all possible product dealers/ manufacturers so that you get a good all around idea of what will work best in your situation and what their installation experts would do even if in the end your intent would be for you to do the installation yourself.

Langlois

I’m worried about installing it in the right place and drilling holes into my house for the cable.... it seems quite complex.  We  do have a lot of tall trees around us that could interfere but are up on a hill which should help with reception.

Langlois

It seemed slightly better over the weekend which makes me think construction is to blame.  
Public Tech is working on it and won’t drop it until they find a reason, hopefully solution.

@Langlois 

We aim to please!😁

Langlois

Thanks for this!

@Langlois bands 2&5 are the most important bands you need for a cell phone booster. this is the best deal on Amazon at the moment

$149.99 

https://www.amazon.ca/SolidRF-Signal-Booster-Office-Enhance/dp/B07QVXVJXC/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?dchild...

@Langlois 

Another user @Pawprints1986 bought an indoor one for around $100 that @sheytoon helped test out. Let me see if I can find the thread for you.

Langlois

Thanks for your thoughts we have referred all our friends to Public Mobile and don’t have many visitors these days of course. I can think of one friend not on PM who I will get to try this asap.

cell boosters from Telus are almost $1,000 others are around $300 from what I researched. We have a very high roof so mounting installing it is an issue too.  It’s so frustrating when everything was great for a year and now it’s not.

@Langlois wrote:

Really even though it isn’t an internet issue and I’m with Public rather than Telus as my cell service provider. Tell me more please... @Nezgar 

I was talking about a workaround to help ensure failed calls direct to another working line vs your mobile voicemail.

Also, yournum@txt.telus.com is the correct address for email-to-text for Telus, Koodo, and Public Mobile. I suggested emailing that as another way of sending a test text.

@Langlois 

Well it would be good to test and see if a koodo customer or a telus customer has the same issue in your house. Then you would have the additional argument that switching providers would be outside of the telus family in order for your whole family to recieve good cell reception. As this is a telus infastructure issue. 

The argument would then be if you had to switch cell providers it would be in your best interest to switch all of your phones and internet provider to Shaw for example. Getting a credit from pm would probably be difficult ( but you could explore that as well) but getting a credit on your telus internet bill may be possible for a loyal telus customer like yourself to keep you (and your family) as a customer is a good possibility. You may be able to negotiate an additional $5 or $10 monthly bill credit for 12 months that would cover or mostly cover a cell signal booster that i think cost about $100.

@sheytoon wrote:

You can try, but honestly it's going to be an uphill battle to get a microcell installed in your neighbourhood. Telcos don't typically take deployment requests from customers, unless it's an entire community of potential customers who are totally out of service.

Bank in downtown Toronto.  It took us years to get Rogers to install new equipment in our building.   And we are a major Rogers partner.. 

Langlois

Really even though it isn’t an internet issue and I’m with Public rather than Telus as my cell service provider. Tell me more please... @Nezgar 

@Langlois wrote:

I just did a test text message to my daughter who is also in the house on public. I turned off the wifi and iMessage and sent her a text. It looks like it went through on my phone but she didn’t receive it. So texting doesn’t work either in the house.

To test this properly, you might also have to turn off wifi and iMessage on your phone too. Or send an email to 2501234567@txt.telus.com

Also, not ideal, but if you have a home land line, you could "work around" this issue in the mean time by setting your conditional forwards to direct failed calls to your home line instead of to your voicemail..

ie: *004*2501234567#

Undo with ##004#

You can try, but honestly it's going to be an uphill battle to get a microcell installed in your neighbourhood. Telcos don't typically take deployment requests from customers, unless it's an entire community of potential customers who are totally out of service.

@Nezgar 

Yes of course! Maybe @Langlois can negotiate a credit on their telus internet account to make up for having to purchase a cell booster in the meantime until telus can install additional infastructure to improve cell reception in their neighbourhood.😃

@darlicious 

Purchasing a booster kit might be a more realistic / instant results course of action rather than the time / effort of lobbying for network changes...

@Langlois 

Your high speed internet is hard wired to your home so there would be no interruption to its performance. The condo being built may be woodframe but elevators and other building systems such as heating and plumbing  along with household appliances such as refridgerators and microwaves all interfere with signal transmission. Add them all up together and you hit a breaking point....

@Langlois 

You may need to lobby telus to install a street level reciever in your neighbouhood or on your street similar to the ones you see dominating the map in Comox to overcome the signal issues caused by recent construction. I'm not sure how you would go about doing that. Again @sheytoon could probably provide insight in this.....

Langlois

There is a new condo unit going in near the Telus tower closest to us. It’s only 4 story wood frame construction though. Maybe I should drive around the area though and see if I can see anything else. Public tech says they can’t see any problems with transmission. We are upon a hill and have high speed Telus internet with no problems. 

Langlois

There is a new condo unit going in near the tower closest to us. It’s only 4 stories wood frame construction though. Maybe I should drive around the area though and see if I can see anything else. Public tech says they can’t see any problems with transmission. We are upon a hill and have high speed Telus internet with no problems. 

@Langlois 

You mentioned a fair amount of construction going on.....has a concrete building gone up recently that could now be interrupting your signal from your tower to your house? Going outside frees up the extra bit interference your house causes now that something else much bigger is interfering with your signal and/or moves your phone picking up the signal just enough to be able to pick up a clear signal. You may need a cell booster to improve service in your home. ( @sheytoon can advise on this.)

I have a friend in westholme with a farm nestled in a valley. 3/4 of their house has no signal at all. Only the most western portion of the house and their deck has a good telus signal. Depending on the elevation the rest of the farm's signal can be very spotty. Despite several rogers towers nearby (many more than telus towers) there is no rogers reception whatsoever.

Langlois

I just did a test text message to my daughter who is also in the house on public. I turned off the wifi and iMessage and sent her a text. It looks like it went through on my phone but she didn’t receive it. So texting doesn’t work either in the house.

Langlois

It is only in our house that the calls breakup or don’t even come in. If we go out into the garden this isn’t a problem at all. 

Need Help? Let's chat.