cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android pictures

Pattygert
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi.  Why is it when I receive a picture I cannot view it when on wifi?  It says that i have to turn my data on.  I thought it was free picture texting.  Or is it just sending, not receiving?

10 REPLIES 10

@Meow 

The bf has been out of data for more than two weeks. In the past 7 days he has sent 17 MMS.  This is the recorded WEB usage 0.415, 1.021, 2.692, 1.021, 0.385, 0.143 and 0.661=6.338mb

Obviously this cannot be counted against his plan data I can only assume it's usage related to having data on to send and recieve MMS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pattygert : Yowsa. Please disregard the kitchen sink. You were just asking. Not that you're having a problem.

Edit: I think I found the likely reason. The MMS server is firewalled from outside access. It sees a connection attempt from outside and blocks it. It sees a connection attempt from a permitted connection and allows it through.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pattygert 

do one thing Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

and take your SIM card out and waiting for a 2 minute and put it back and turn on -This one is quick and simple.

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

or can you do try reseat the SIM card

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. wipe it clean SIM card,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and do again Rebooting your phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

How to reset network settings on an IPhone

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords,

or visit  Here link, 

and go Changing APN Settings On An IPhone

click Here link, 

How to reset network settings on an Android device
  1. Open the Settings app on your Android.
  2. Scroll to and tap either "General management" or "System," depending on what device you have.
  3. Tap either "Reset" or "Reset options."
  4. Tap the words "Reset network settings."

or visit  Here link,

and go Changing APN Settings On Android device

click Here link,

Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visit Here link,

Select the brand and model of your phone, After doing so, you will be provided with the exact APNs required for your phone on our network.

for iphone  go to Settings > Messages > To turn iMessage on or off, 

Turn your data on to send a Picture Messaging in world-wide,

if your data is off and your home internet wifi is on is not going through the Picture or a video Messaging, 

you have to do this to is going through you will need to turn your data on to send a Picture or a video Messaging in world-wide,

make sure your Data is on.

and do again Rebooting your phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.to refreshing your network...

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Thank you guys for answers.

I will do some test sending 10-15 pictures as MMS and monitor my data usage.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Meow 

Also if you look under the Public Mobile plans it says:

• Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging

@Meow 

MMS is sent thru a separate server. So your phone might count it but your account does not.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meow : Data is metered. Everything is filtered. The system sees data intending to use a particular server on the internet and says oh ok fine that's MMS you go over here and you won't be counted.  Or oh ok fine that's a web address you go over here and all the back and forth data will be counted. Or email. etc.

When you're out of data it redirects you to a page that says you need to buy more data to continue. But MMS is not counted so it bypasses that filter.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@JK8 wrote:

our data on to send and receive mms. It is free … does not use your allotted data.

Could you please explain why data has to be on but it does Not use your data allotment to send/receive MMS?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pattygert : It's not just Android. It's all MMS. iphones have their own instant messaging method but if they wish to send/receive from an Android then they would still need mobile data on.

Why? I guess I'll google that for interest.

Turning on your mobile data will use a small amount of data for sync'ing apps and such but the actual MMS itself does not count.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Pattygert wrote:

Hi.  Why is it when I receive a picture I cannot view it when on wifi?  It says that i have to turn my data on.  I thought it was free picture texting.  Or is it just sending, not receiving?

Turn your data on to send and receive mms. It is free … does not use your allotted data.

Need Help? Let's chat.