cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on how to get US roaming package working for phone calls?

Hagen
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I purchased a US data roaming package for a trip to the US. I'm currently in San Francisco. Text and data are working, but I can't make any phone calls. 

Is there anything I can do to make it possible to use my phone while I'm in the US? I'm only here for 6 days, so I'm not going to get a local SIM. My network is set to T-Mobile automatically, and roaming is on. I successfully used the roaming package in Hawaii last fall, but here it's not activating.

If anyone knows how to get it going, please let me know! 

Thanks very much 

11 REPLIES 11

Can you try to connect to AT&T if on T-Mobile? Or vice versa.

Hagen

Thanks, I've tried turning the phone off and back on, and I've tried using 3 different dialling procedures, including the one outlined below, but I keep getting the same error message. 

Thanks for trying to help! Still hoping to find a solution to this, though for now, I've resorted to Skyping out on wifi for calls. 

I'm disappointed though that I paid for an add-on that isn't working. 

Hagen

Okay, thanks! I have an iPhone 11, and I bought the $30 roaming add-on for the US. I'm Canadian and live in the Yukon. Public Mobile works well for me there. 

Hagen

Thanks for the recommendation! I just tried this, adding the +, but unfortunately, I still get the message that says "Sorry, your call cannot be completed as dialled because your plan does not include a US roaming add-on." But, I bought the $30 US roaming package before I left, and the texting part of it is working, and the calling part shows in my account as active, so I'm still confused as to why it's not working. This same type of add-on worked for me last November in Hawaii without any issue, but it's not working here in California on this trip. 

Thanks for trying to help!

KiBo

Optimize your device

Refresh your device by turning it OFF and then back ON. Try to use another roaming partner by manually selecting it on the device. Make sure that you are using the correct dialing procedures for making calls while roaming. Go to your call settings and disable fixed dialing setting.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Hagen 

Try dialing +1-XXXXX-XXXXX

How does VoLTE impact US Roaming?

VoLTE Roaming services are now available in the US enabling Public Mobile customers to place and receive calls over the LTE network. If there is no VoLTE coverage or if customers don’t have a VoLTE-Roaming enabled device, customers will continue roaming on the 3G/HSPA network. Please note that:

• VoLTE Roaming rates will be the same as current HSPA Roaming rates
  • Some short-codes and toll-free numbers may not work while Roaming
  • While roaming internationally, customers are recommended to use “plus dialing” for making local and international calls. Dial plus (+) followed by country code and the number.
  • For example, to make local calls while roaming in US (Country Code = 1), dial + (by long-pressing 0) followed by 1, i.e. +1-XXXXX-XXXXX. To make calls back to Canada (Country Code = 1), dial + followed by 1, i.e. +1-XXX-XXX-XXXX.

No, don't bother with 3G because they no longer have a 3G network in the US, which may be part of the issue here. If your account is not setup for VoLTE yet, that means you're still making calls on the 3G network which doesn't exist in the US. 

What phone do you have?

EDIT: If you're able to connect to the network to to get the error message, then it's not a VoLTE issue. What add-on did your buy (name and price)?

Hagen

I don't see an option to select 2G GSM. I only see LTE and 3G, and VoLTE says it's on. Should I try 3G?

Hagen

Just tried...this did not work but thanks for the suggestion.

I'm getting a message that says my plan does not include a US roaming add-on when I try to call out, but I did purchase a US roaming add-on, and the other parts of it (text & data) are working. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Can you set your phone to use 2G GSM? It sounds like your phone hasn't been enabled for volte yet.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Try putting it into airplane mode, reboot it and turn off airplane mode and see if it connects back to Tmobile

Need Help? Let's chat.