cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding second phone number / plan to phone

DCubby
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi. I've an iPhone XR, I'm currently with a provider from whom I cannot port my number to PM, and I'm using a physical SIM card.

Is it possible to sign up with PM (with a new phone number) using eSIM and have both the old and new phone numbers work with overlap for some amount of time, until I cancel the old provider?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

superman26

Hi @DCubby On your iPhon open the Settings-Cellular and you'll see a Default Voice Line there. Specify if you want your calls coming from your old number or PM number. On the Cellular Data specify if you want it coming from your PM data (I'm going to assume that's where you want your data to come from. On Settings-Messages, make sure you have both your old and new PM number checked on there and specify where New Conversations will come from. Do the same for FaceTime under Settings.  If you are making a call, on the dialpad tap on the top portion on there and you can manually select which phone line that particular call you want to come from. (I sometimes do this) Hope this helps.

DCubby

How would I specify which phone number to use when calling out?

And when I get a call is it obvious which phone number the call is coming in on?

ok, then your number can't move here.  Yes, some numbers can't port into Telus or Koodo or PM

DCubby

Yes, I used that koodo link above and it tells me "Unfortunately, this number isn't eligible to move to Koodo Mobile."

slusagm
Mayor / Maire

iphone allows you to have physical sim and esim active at the same time. 

But for your number you cannot port into PM , did you confirm it here?

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/checkSingle.do

superman26

Hi @DCubby Yes, you can sign up with PM using eSIM and have both of them (physical and eSIM) simultaneously be active on an iPhone XR. I've done this before and then I ported my number over eventually. You do need to make sure your old account is still active with the old provider if you are still wanting to port your original number. However if you have no intent to use that old number anymore since they cannot be ported then once that is cancelled you can just removed the physical SIM from your iPhone XR when that service is cancelled.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @DCubby 

yes you can.  Good thing for mutliple sim phone  is that you can have both the physical sim and esim active.  You can setup which sim card to use as the default voice calls and default data.  

Need Help? Let's chat.