cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding CanadaWide to existing plan

hunjan_jsh
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

Would like to add CanadaWide without changing current plan. What is the cost and procedure?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

I could do that, as I've already setup forwarding for the eventual anti-life of my Nexus 5.

But, I've got an iPad at home that I have access to Hangouts on, and I like to use it more than my phone when making calls.  Yes, Fongo is there too... but it's a hassle.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker I believe the general concensus is that Fongo gives a better audio quality/reliability.  So why not just forward to your free Fongo number as needed?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You need to have a Google Voice number to have it answer. 

I dont one think this forum is the place to discuss how to get a Google Voice number. 

Is there a way to force Hangouts as the receiving voice app?

mimmo

@smp99 wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

If you have android then you could use hangouts dialer for free calling.

Hangouts works on iPhones and iPads as well.

@smp99 thanks, i didnt know.I edited my post

RLBL
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

To summarize the above:

- You can add an add-on ($)

- you can use an app (0$)

What I do:

I am in my home province and wish to call out : I use Hangouts (but I could use Fongo).  Advantage to Hangouts: It can be setup to display your number for caller ID so the receiver knows who it is.

I go out of province: Set up call forwarding to Fongo before I leave. (note: this can be your default setup 100% of the time... see below*)

I wish to call out: Same as above (Hangouts, Fongo)

Someone calls me: Fongo rings, I answer (on call answering, it does not matter which app takes the call as there is no thinking on the user's part).

Some people do not like to have to use different apps... I look at it this way (applicable to smart phones): The device you use is not the phone: an app is the phone which runs on the device.  The app you choose to use is arbitrary. *So having said that, you could use Hangouts as your default call-out app, and you have no need to pay attention which app is answering the call.

It is a mind shift, but the mind shift will save you $$$$

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@hunjan_jsh, what is your current plan right now?  Is it still "in-market" or is it a previous planned now grandfathered?

*IF* it's still in-market, from what I see, there is a $5/30day plan, or a $15/90 play for the increase between Province and Canada wide.  If you do use more than 400 minutes in the 90 day period, switching your plan would be the best solution.  If you use less than 400 minutes in 90 days, the 400 minute addon is the better choice.

IF your plan is NOT in-market... The suggested Google Hangouts solution is the 'free' alterative that works the best on Android, if you have an iPhone, Facetime Audio might be the better solution.

smp99

@mimmo wrote:

If you have android then you could use hangouts dialer for free calling.

Hangouts works on iPhones and iPads as well.

rohith_reddi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You cannot do that bro.. instead you can recharge an ADD-ON 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans#add-ons

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@hunjan_jsh, that isn't possible without changing plans.  Depending on how much you talk long distance the addons may work for you  400 minutes for $15.  I am not sure what plan you have but if adding Canada wide is more than $5 a month and you  don't talk on average 2 hour 15 minutes a month on long distance this is probably the way to go.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo

To get Canada wide you need to do a plan change. You can either future date the plan of you can do it immediately forgoing the rest of your current plan.

The other option if you font want to lose your current plan is buying a long distance add-on 8$ for 200 mins or 15$ for 400 mins.  If you think you will use lrsz than 133 minutes a month then the add-on is the way to go.

you could also use hangouts dialer for free calling.

CalvinW

That is not possible. Adding Canada wide will change your current plan. On the other hand, you could choose to purchase the long distance add on. The minutes won’t expire when your plan renews.

Need Help? Let's chat.