cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation page down?

Juhi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I finally received my second SIM after quite a bit of waiting and am eager to activate. Unfortunately, after submitting the form to fill out for the activation, I was redirected to a page advising that the site is down for maintenance.

Does anyone know when this maintenance is scheduled to end? 

7 REPLIES 7

Is it back up and running now. 

It it would be nice to have a maintenance notice on the site before and prevents the user from filling out any of the forms or activation requests if any of the site modules are down. Otherwise, it may result in partial activation, porting, etc and may create more work for the mods. 

manuvarghese
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi @NDesai - As someone working in IT, I beg to differ on that due to following reasons. 

An urgent & unplanned downtime is mostly if not always caused to a production incident like accidental data leak, server outage, a wrong piece of code in live stream causing issues, DDOS, or any of those unpredicatble occassions 

In all these cases - the standard strategy is failover & revert to latest working stable code immeadiately and prepare for a planned maintenance later to fix the issue. Thus an unplanned downtime is usually in the order of minutes if not may be an hour. 

I am not so sure of yesterday's downtime window - but I tried around 9PM PST till around 2:45 AM PST - it wasn't working - at around 3AM PST it came live - so approximately 5.5 hours of downtime. 

A 5 hr+ downtime on a critical service (SelfServe is a critical service for PM due to non availability of other account management / support options) can't be tagged as a minor maintenance. 

This is my thought - may be admins / senior members can clarify things better. 

Hey @NDesai do you know if the activation page would display a message saying the system is under maintenance? If it doesn't already do that, I think it should, because not everyone comes on Community to see the upcoming maintenance announcements.

Actually, nevermind... @MoreYummy confirmed above there was a message displayed.

@manuvarghese For a major know maintenance, they do post in the announcement ahead of time. But for something urgent and unplanned, it happens without notifying. As said above, it usually happens at night when most are sleeping Smiley Tongue

manuvarghese
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Even I am facing the same issue. 

@MoreYummy Its still not sleeping time at the west coast 😄 

Btw, I have posted a suggestion regarding the downtime management - please do share your views. 

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Public-Lab/Website-Self-serve-Downtime-management/idi-...

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

@JuhiI just tried it, it is showing maintenance page.  It is night time, they do maintenance when most are zZZzZZ  😄    Try it again later.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Yes, there is a maintanece going on. Try again tomorrow. 

Need Help? Let's chat.