cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation of a new phone, SIM, and number

Ryatta
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I wish to activate a new (old) phone, SIM, on a new phone number for my wife. Is there a retail place I can go to, that will do this on the spot? -- sign up a new customer with Public Mobile and walk out with functioning phone service? I live in Ajax Ontario. I'd rather not sign-up online and wait for a SIM card to be mailed to me.

Thanks,
Scott.

8 REPLIES 8

Ryatta

One last question (hopefully). The phone I'm attempting to get set up for my wife is an old iPhone 6. While I don't have the SIM card yet, I thought I'd get the Public Mobile app installed over WiFi from the Apple store. But I've discovered that the app only installs on iOS 13.x, whereas the latest iOS possible for an iPhone 6 is 12.5.7. 

So my question: Is there another way to get a SIM card set up and connected to the service, without using the Public Mobile app? 

slusagm
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Ryatta sometimes the sim order would be longer than expected. With today a holiday, I think it will arrive next week

hi @Ryatta 

you choose the phone number after you use the app to enter the sim card number 

@Ryatta 

@Ryatta wrote:

Thanks for all the speedy replies from everyone. Much appreciated. I just ordered online. The system said it'll be shipped within a couple of business days, which is good enough. Just hoping to have it by Friday. 

One last (dumb?) question - When the SIM arrives, I complete activation using the Public Mobile app. Is that when I find out what the phone number will be? 

The SIM card will be shipped within 2 business days and arrive within 10 business days.  If your SIM card has not arrived within 10 business days, then you can contact Public mobile.  Most customer in major cities will receive within about one week.  Shipping via Canada post with no tracking.  

Yes, once you receive the SIM card, you complete the activation via the PM app.  Then you can choose your new PM number. 

Ryatta

Thanks for all the speedy replies from everyone. Much appreciated. I just ordered online. The system said it'll be shipped within a couple of business days, which is good enough. Just hoping to have it by Friday. 

One last (dumb?) question - When the SIM arrives, I complete activation using the Public Mobile app. Is that when I find out what the phone number will be? 

eddieO
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Ryatta, if your wife's phone supports eSIM you can download that without having to step out of the house, if her phone is not eSIM compatible you can pick up a SIM card at a TELUS/Koodo or Mobile Klinik location but you will need to set it up on your own. It's pretty straight forward though and there is plenty of help here in the community if you get stuck. You can also order SIM cards from Amazon and they usually arrive much faster than ordering through Public Mobile 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @Ryatta online activation only. PM stopped retails channel for 2 years already 

you can get a new PM sim card from Telus or Koodo store or Amazon first.  Them download the PM app on the phone Me start activation.  (don't start on browser)

if you rather activation with retail amd traditional support model (phone), you might want to check Koodo, same great network owner by Telus

slusagm
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

sorry @Ryatta everything is online here

no more retail activation 

Need Help? Let's chat.