cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating SIM and Porting Phone Number

Bottomshelf
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi,

I am in the process of activating SIM and porting Koodo post paid phone number.

I am still in the process waiting for the system to verify phone number (step 2 of 4).  It's been about 30 minutes with the arrow circling around and around.  Any idea how long this phone number verification process takes?

Thanks in advance.

24 REPLIES 24

@Bottomshelf 

I believe @hTideGnow is correct in that incognito mode basically shuts out all the background "noise" going on that distracts the pm server. If I remember correctly it was @ChuckYeah that talked me thru a long night of crazy errors and finally mentioned to use secret/incognito mode. Make sure you do the same for any changes in the self serve account....plan changes, payments, adding a card, buying an add on, changing your password etc.....

@Bottomshelf  Generally, PM site is slower than others.  Logging on Self-Serve take 20-30 sec for me.  

Activation site also a bit slow, there are many incidents that that the activation request was timeout  but the back end actually has the account activated and caused confusion.

I believe Incognito mode is to make sure no browser cache that might confuses the system.   Sometime, we also recommend trying different browsers  

Bottomshelf

@darlicious

How did you find out about incognito mode?

Are there any documents or references on this "new" activation process?

Thanks again.

Bottomshelf

@darlicious wrote:

@Bottomshelf 

No that shouldn't happen and no one else is complaining ( not saying that you are complaining) ....about this being an issue so it comes down to your experience. It took me 6 tries to activate my second account because I didn't know about secret/incognito mode.....

Incognito mode worked!  It was almost instantaneous - about a minute or so.

But I am quite sure when I activated my spouse's plan 2 weeks ago, I was just in regular browser mode. The fact you're in incognito mode or regular browser mode should be irrelevant?  Obviously not in this particular case.  

@darlicious:Any thoughts why incognito mode works?

Also, as someone previously mentioned the PM system appears to be a bit slow (or is it my wifi connection?)  It did take awhile to add the new subscriber's email as it automatically filled it with my email and then kept "spinning".  After a couple of minutes I was able to enter the new email address.   Is the PM system slow?  I noticed the same time issue when looking at my account info or accessing my community posts; although it was only seconds delay.

And yes, I have requested the 2nd free month.

Thanks everyone.

Take care and stay safe!

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Bottomshelf 

Consider waiting till Monday... there have been way too many self serve and community glitches in the past 24 hours. 

@Bottomshelf 

No that shouldn't happen and no one else is complaining ( not saying that you are complaining) ....about this being an issue so it comes down to your experience. It took me 6 tries to activate my second account because I didn't know about secret/incognito mode.....

Bottomshelf

@darlicious wrote:

@Bottomshelf 

Secret/incognito mode is key.....

That's the next step.  However, when I activated my spouse's account 2 weeks ago I had no issues; same Koodo provider.  I don't believe I used incognito mode when I did the first activation.

Bottomshelf

@BKNS27 wrote:

@Bottomshelf 

I found that the PM website takes awhile for it to login and switching to different pages on my account too.

I would suggest you hang in there and wait to progress to the next page.

Surely not more than 15-30 minutes plus?  I thought I may have a slow internet connection but everything else seem to load quickly.

@Bottomshelf 

I found that the PM website takes awhile for it to login and switching to different pages on my account too.

I would suggest you hang in there and wait to progress to the next page.

@Bottomshelf 

Secret/incognito mode is key.....

@Bottomshelf wrote:

As suggested I closed the window and started again.  Looks like there is no account setup in the customer's name even though account set up was checked off.  The new user could not sign in to his account.

I started the process again and this time got as far as step 3 - pick a plan but now it has been spinning the last 15 minutes.

If this doesn't work I will I will start again in incognito mode.

Also as suggested I cleared the cache and browser history in Chrome.

Fingers crossed and still waiting for step 3 to complete.

@Bottomshelf  gesh, having a rough go. Sorry to hear it.

Maybe the live activation process would be the better route for you, if you get time out again, that is.

Click this link to use the: Public Mobile Online Activation Assistance

Bottomshelf

As suggested I closed the window and started again.  Looks like there is no account setup in the customer's name even though account set up was checked off.  The new user could not sign in to his account.

I started the process again and this time got as far as step 3 - pick a plan but now it has been spinning the last 15 minutes.

If this doesn't work I will I will start again in incognito mode.

Also as suggested I cleared the cache and browser history in Chrome.

Fingers crossed and still waiting for step 3 to complete.

@Bottomshelf 

Close all your tabs. Reboot your device. Then secret/incognito mode etc... Start from the beginning if you get invalid sim/already in use message you will have to wait out the 50 min lock out session. If it lets you continue then choose the temporary number and continue your activation and port in afterwards. BTW....you have registered the email for the promo.....just double checking.

Bottomshelf

@esjliv wrote:

@Bottomshelf wrote:

No still on step 2 phone number verification - spinning and spinning

@Bottomshelf  - well if you didn't even get to the payment section, I would shut it down at this point. Force quit/shut down.

Wait 50 minutes since the SIM will be locked for that long...although you have been hanging for longer, so it might be okay to attempt again.

Remember to clear browser's history and try the incognito mode method.

Let us know if you can succeed next time!

Step 3 is pick a plan and step 4 is payment verification.  

To be clear just close the window and start all over? 

Or do I go into the account in step 1 Account Setup that has already been checked off?

As I respond to this, it is still verifying phone number!

Thanks.

I've already cleared my browser cache and history.

Bottomshelf

@darlicious wrote:

@Bottomshelf 

If you have to start over consider taking a temporary number. Get the services all set up then port the number in through the account. 

@darlicious

It looks like nothing is happening in step 2 (phone # verification) as it is still spinning as I type this.  Step 1 Account set up is already checked off as being complete. 

How do you suggest I terminate the process and start again?

Do I go into the set up account and start from there?

Thanks.

@Bottomshelf wrote:

@Bottomshelf  - well if you didn't even get to the payment section, I would shut it down at this point. Force quit/shut down.

Wait 50 minutes since the SIM will be locked for that long...although you have been hanging for longer, so it might be okay to attempt again.

Remember to clear browser's history and try the incognito mode method.

Let us know if you can succeed next time!

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Bottomshelf 

If it were me, I'd abort and attempt restart.   You could try the SIM in a device to see if any functions have begun to work.

Wait a bit (better yet, wait until Monday - there's been some serious crap going on with Public Mobile's self-serve and Community sites over the past 24 hours)

Then, clear cache and cookies, open incognito -or- use completely different browser.

Worst case if you can't begin again as you've gone too far, contact the PM Mod's using the white bubble on bottom right.

Bottomshelf

@Bottomshelf wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@Bottomshelf 

Is the koodo sim still in the phone to recieve the porting authorization text?

Koodo Sim still in phone and no text has been received. 

@Bottomshelf You should only receive a text once you get past the payment section (and credit card charged). Did you get past this part yet?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Bottomshelf wrote:

Hi,

I am in the process of activating SIM and porting Koodo post paid phone number.

I am still in the process waiting for the system to verify phone number (step 2 of 4).  It's been about 30 minutes with the arrow circling around and around.  Any idea how long this phone number verification process takes?

Thanks in advance.

@Bottomshelf  - Oh my! that is a long step 2 of 4 process. That is not normal.

Has it completed step 2 yet? If you timed out, the SIM is likely locked and you will need to wait 50 minutes to attempt to activate the SIM again.

Before you try again clear your browser's/device's cache, and use an incognito tab for the activation.

I hope it goes better the next time.

You could also try activating using this link to use the: Public Mobile Online Activation Assistance

Good luck!

Bottomshelf

@darlicious wrote:

@Bottomshelf 

Koodo Sim still in phone and no text has been received. 

@Bottomshelf 

If you have to start over consider taking a temporary number. Get the services all set up then port the number in through the account. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Bottomshelf 

Not that long.....you will time out of your session soon. Are you using secret/incognito mode?

Need Help? Let's chat.