cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G speed maximum is ±5mbps

Meho
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I just got my eSim today and I decided to switch from 4G plan to a 5G plan. Since, my speed maximum is ±5mbps. What is happening ?  My phone is a S23.

Thanks,

23 REPLIES 23

Terryscell
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Is it possible that a VPN got turned on? That absolutely kills my speed.

@Meho 

Might need to wait for Customer service agent response.  Taking a bit longer than usual. 

Maybe try 3G network and see you data speed testing.  

Meho

Samsung S23.

@Meho 

Which model phone?       Sorry reread your post S23

Still unusual that your phone is connected to Telus.  Should be Public mobile.  Even though same network.  

Meho

I just wiped the whole phone, bought a new e-sim... it's a fresh start and I restarted my phone. What's intriguing is when I do a speed test, it's always giving an error when the upload test begins. 

@Meho 

Which model phone do you have?

Might want to try a simple reboot of your phone (if not done already).  Then try a network reset of phone (this will erase any saved Wifi passwords).  

If possible, try the testing at a different location.  

Meho

Thanks @Dunkman , I understand what you say but, even if I switch to 4G or, LTE, the speed still around 5 mbps. 

Meho

Now look at this. I wiped my phone and I bought a new e-sim. My network is almost at 100% and I still having poor network performances like this : 

1000000248.jpg

@Meho wrote:

Hi @Phil_Adelphus , I did port my number today, and it worked. I can make call, send and receive messages.

Yes, when I changed my plan an hour after I became PM custumer, I have been charged again.

I did contact customers service but no news from them actually. 

I did a main reset of my phone (without erasing my e-Sim) and nothing changed. Still very slow. I am about to do one more reset of my phone but I'll also erase my e-Sim to see if it work.

Thank you.

@Meho 

It is usually recommended to change plans at next renewal (instead of immediately) since PM does not pro-rate plan changes.  Await CSA response if honest error.  

As for the 5G, if you signed up for 4G plan with PM and then did an immediate 5G plan switch, it can take a few days for the data speeds to be switch on the PM end.  

Might want to force your phone to 4G/LTE network and you may get faster data speeds in the meantime.  

Meho

Thank you @funpig1 , I am located in an area supported where 5G is supported. I am living at 800 meters from the antenna. I'll perform a wipe of my phone and reinstall the e-Sim just to see.... Thank you !

Meho

Hi @Phil_Adelphus , I did port my number today, and it worked. I can make call, send and receive messages.

Yes, when I changed my plan an hour after I became PM custumer, I have been charged again.

I did contact customers service but no news from them actually. 

I did a main reset of my phone (without erasing my e-Sim) and nothing changed. Still very slow. I am about to do one more reset of my phone but I'll also erase my e-Sim to see if it work.

Thank you.

funpig1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Meho   in your screenshot, I can see that you are connected to the 5G network, but you only have 1 bar in signal strength. That is very weak and could explain your dismal mobile data speed. Try moving to an area with a strong 5G signal, at least 3-4 bars, and conduct another speed test. Good luck.

@Meho  Did you port your number from Fizz today or take a new number?  Is everything else working on your phone, can you make and receive voice calls and text messages?  When you changed plans an hour apart you would have been charged again.  Probably best to contact customer service and explain what is happening.  Submit a ticket at the chat icon bottom right of the page but if that doesn't work send agents a private message here.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

Meho

This morning I was with Fizz on a 4g plan. I switched with PM for a 4g plan but I switched an hour later for a PM 5g plan 🤷‍♂️

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Personally I think it is best to leave settings on auto.  Manual is sort like an off normal setting.  As for Telus being in the mobile operator name, I remember using having an old LG phone that showed Telus instead of Public Mobile.  At the end of the day, this should not have any effect on performance.  Getting only 5 mbits/s is rather poor performance, that is pretty much 3G network type performance.  I suggest installing this app to get some stats on the connection to troubleshoot the slow data speed.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wilysis.cellinfolite&hl=en_CA

@Meho  Yes PM is a Telus company, it must just show differently in my phone.  One thing I don't quite follow, if you're a new customer today did you really change your plan today from 4G to 5G or do you mean you were on 4G with Fizz?

Meho

I see PM on upper bar but not from the place we can choose the provider. I think PM and Telus are the same. 

Meho

This morning I was with Fizz. I am with PM since 13h. I thought PM was with Telus 

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Meho  How long have you been with Public Mobile, were you with Telus before?  When I disable automatic on my iPhone I see Public Mobile, Bell and Rogers, no Telus.

Edited to say I see Public Mobile on your screenshot.  Do you have low data or data saver enabled?

Meho

No PM ! 

I am getting 5mbps.

1000001961.jpg

1000001960.jpg

Was there no Public Mobile option?

What speeds are you getting?

Meho

Thanks for your help. I disabled automatic and i had to choose between Bell and Telus. I choosed Telus and restarted my phone. I am still reaching 5mbps.  🤷‍♂️

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Just wondering if you have your phone's network set to automatic? Try turning off automatic and pick Public Mobile and reboot. Then do another speed test. What speeds do you get now vs after the reboot?

5G speeds are up to 250mbps. 4G is up to 100mbps. If you get above 150mbps, that's sometime the norm.

Need Help? Let's chat.