cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G plan, use 4G connection n Other ?

DM87
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Greetings,

New guy here, I'm currently flip-floppin' between getting a 5G plan or a 4G plan. Backstory, not digging the 5G overall w/ TELUS and this week switched it to 4G on my phone and immediately saw positive results, so have been shoppin' around and checking here and there.

My question is, like TELUS, if I purchase a 5G plan, will I be able to downsize it to 4G on my phone and then turn it back onto 5G as I want, or will that not connect and I should just get a 4G plan instead?

Also, I'm the Primary so I would like to sign-up so I can get the Referral Code and then shoot it over to my father so he can sign-up as he is currently under my account on TELUS. Can I do that without having to transfer numbers and everything or should I just bite the bullet and sign him up first and transfer him over then sign up under his code.

And.... is the eSIM pretty straight forward? I've been a physical SIM guy, ordered one for his phone as it's not eSIM but mine is.. never used it before.

Thanks Community!

7 REPLIES 7

DM87

Thanks so much, here's to a smooth transition tomorrow.

eddieO
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@DM87, Your Telus account should be closed automatically once you port out your number from them and they should credit you back for the days you did not use but it wouldn't hurt to call them to find out what the amount credited back to you will be.

Note, because PM is a prepaid service if you decide to leave you will not receive a refund for unused days but your account must be active in order to port out your number so time it when you have a few days left before renewal to avoid problems

DM87

Once I transfer the numbers from TELUS, my account will still need to be closed right? As I should still end up with a pro-rated bill amount for the time spent this month.

eddieO
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Once you sign up you will be given a referral code that you can share with anyone. The person(s) using your referral code will get a $10 credit towards their 2nd bill payment (should appear in their account within 72 hrs, it will not come off of their first payment, and you will receive 1 point (equal to $1) each month that your referral person stays with Public Mobile.

To find your referral code go into your PM app and go to the Account tab, it'll be right there

DM87

Yeah I knew to have separate accounts but if I sign up would I get a referral code before I initiate the transfer so I can have him use my referral code?

Rastin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yes you can turn off 5g off and use 4g on your phone if you want. In some areas you may get better signal. Just so you know you will need a separate account and email for yours and your father as there no joint account here. And since your the main account holder you probably need to transfer his number first as I believe the account will close once you port out. I could be wrong I don't know for sure.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@DM87 

5G is more a 5G speed plan, similarly 4G is just 4G speed plan

5G gives you a top speed of 250Mbps , you can use that on 5G as well as 4G, and for most 4G phones, it can easily reach 200Mbps or more

4G plan will give you 100Mbps, you can get that speed on 4G or 5G networks

So, the 5G  plan does not mean you are restricted to only use 5G on your 5G phones

for esim, it is a personal choice.  it is good that you no longer need to go out and get a physical sim card.  And once you got a eSIM, replacement is free.  So, when you switch phone in the future, just download PM app and install the free eSIM on the new phone

With physical sim, it is even easily to switch phone, just take it out the old phone and put it in the new phone, you can easily switch phone

Need Help? Let's chat.