cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G plan but no 5G service

Mneilson2019
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a Samsung s20 fe 5G compatible phone but no 5G service very disappointed how to I fix this I have the 60$ 5G plan

22 REPLIES 22

abarouni2023
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You cannot, as the public mobile network does not support 5G on Samsung s20 fe 5g phones. I had the same problem. I switched to Freedom mobile, and their network supports 5G on this device, so it varies from carrier to carrier. 

KhalidShebli

It is a canadian model. Just finished 2 year contract with virgin+.

KhalidShebli

This device is compatible, I downloaded almost a giga for software upload with 5g! After update, that 5G option is gone. Its somewhere with respect to public mobile sim, its not allowing. Check the screenshot below, its connecting to 5G but after restart, it will be LTE+

Screenshot_20231211_221618_Settings.jpg

@KhalidShebli wrote:

I got 5G with my S20FE 5G as I switched from virgin+. It downloaded an update through 5G. After restart the 5G option does not show up. If I enter old virgin+ sim, the 5G shows up. If I enter the public sim, it clearly connects the 5G network but asks for restart, as mentioned in this discussion before, as I restart, the 5G is gone!

Clearly a software update is required from Samsung!

I did contact Samsung and Public mobile but no solution from anyone! Which federal authority is responsible to ensure accountability? Thanks

This would be a dispute to take up with CCTS as you've been unable to come to a resolution with the carrier, although I do believe that CCTS has any authority over a cell phone manufactuer.  

Is this a Canadian model of the S20 FE 5G?  if this is a Canadian model, the argument to be used with likely be that Samsung advertised this as a 5G device and to restrict it from use at specific carriers could be conisdered anti-competitive.

In addition, if you bought this device as a CPO device directly from the Public Mobile website, Public Mobile itself advertised this as a 5G device.  As such, they could be a case here when it comes to advertising standards.

KhalidShebli

I got 5G with my S20FE 5G as I switched from virgin+. It downloaded an update through 5G. After restart the 5G option does not show up. If I enter old virgin+ sim, the 5G shows up. If I enter the public sim, it clearly connects the 5G network but asks for restart, as mentioned in this discussion before, as I restart, the 5G is gone!

Clearly a software update is required from Samsung!

I did contact Samsung and Public mobile but no solution from anyone! Which federal authority is responsible to ensure accountability? Thanks

alackraj
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@computergeek541 

You are absolutely right. I wanna give some context. I have an S20 5G (unlocked but I believe it was purchased from Rogers) my mom also has an S20 5G (factory unlocked) 

When I take my Public Mobile SIM and put it into her S20...the stupid "Restart your phone to use your new sim" message does not pop up and I get full 5G service and VOLTE.

I have factory reset and changed the CSC on my S20 5G to XAC (which is the Canadian Unlocked Samsung CSC) and when I go into the settings...GUESS WHAT? I have the 5G setting and VOLTE setting...so I put the Public Mobile SIM back into my phone and it connects 5G without an issue ....BUT for some messed up reason on my S20 5G as soon as it see's the Public Mobile SIM the "Please restart your phone to start using your new SIM and when it reboots, the 5G and VOLTE settings disappear. 

I have tried this with the Telus, Rogers and Bell CSC just to see if maybe one of them would stop that message from popping up but I get the exact same results everytime. 

I just don't understand it, I will probably have to get a new phone because calls on the 3G network are just trash. 

I just wanted to validate your info and let everyone else having this issue know that it not your fault. Its both a Samsung and Public Mobile issue at this point....Samsung issue being, if I manually change my CSC to allow all my phones network settings to be available...it should not block me from using the phone until I reboot it causing the settings to disappear. The Public Mobile issue is (maybe this could because I have an old SIM Card) but their SIM cards should tell the phone they need to connect using the Telus CSC which allows VOLTE and 5G instead of using the PMB CSC which probably was submitted back when they were only 4G data and 3G calling. 

Hope this has been useful information. 

@Yatti4201 wrote:

Will this be fixed? S20 FE on Public Mobile. 

I believe that this device will likely never work on the 5G network at Public Mobile.  A device software update would be required, and that's unlikely to be released due to the age of this model.

Yatti4201
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So place the S20 FE on a cheap 4g plan. 

Yatti4201
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Will this be fixed? S20 FE on Public Mobile. 

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@BKNS27 wrote:

@Mneilson2019 

As @will13am indicated, th e Samsung S20 FE hardware is similar to the previous year Samsung S series which is the Samsung S10 which does not have 5G. The S20FE is not compatible on PM 5G.

I did not say that the S20 FE 5G is not compatible with Public Mobile 5G.  For reasons unknown, the phone has been left off of the 5G whitelist.  

Do you thnk it's a network not allowing it?  i beleive it's just a matter of the opton not being selectable in the device's settings menu. I'm not even sure if Public Mobile checks a 5G list bfore allowing a connection to the 5G network.  As for the VoLTE whitelsit, there's no logical reason for Public Mobile to use such a list other than to force customers to use certain devices.

I suspect that the Samsung software has certain features that allow a carrier to trigger 5G access or not.  Otherwise the generic android software should have capability to toggle 5G and VoLTE.  Of course being able to toggle a feature ON does not mean that it will work.  Here I see two possible impediments, outright disabling 5G preferred network type selection and possibly blocking 5G access even if the network type is selected.  I guess we will never know if the latter is also an impediment for this phone.  At least VoLTE works.  

@computergeek541 wrote:

@softech 

Take that same S20FE 5G and insert a Telus SIM card and 5G will work.  This device doesn't even allow the 5G network type to be selected as the prefered network type if a Public Mobile SIM card has been inserted.

@softech , this is a much bigger wall to climb than 5G band availability in an area.  This model of phone has simply been disallowed 5G access period.  

@softech 

Take that same S20FE 5G and insert a Telus SIM card and 5G will work.  This device doesn't even allow the 5G network type to be selected as the prefered network type if a Public Mobile SIM card has been inserted.

@will13am 

sheytoon mentioned "Bell has disabled B13 anchor for 5G in GTA. Unfortunately it means phones like iPhone 12 and S20 series won't be able to use 5G as they can only do so with B13 on n66."

I wonder if S20FE got affected in GTA as well 

@will13am wrote:

@BKNS27 wrote:

@Mneilson2019 

As @will13am indicated, th e Samsung S20 FE hardware is similar to the previous year Samsung S series which is the Samsung S10 which does not have 5G. The S20FE is not compatible on PM 5G.

I did not say that the S20 FE 5G is not compatible with Public Mobile 5G.  For reasons unknown, the phone has been left off of the 5G whitelist.  

Do you thnk it's a network not allowing it?  i beleive it's just a matter of the opton not being selectable in the device's settings menu. I'm not even sure if Public Mobile checks a 5G list bfore allowing a connection to the 5G network.  As for the VoLTE whitelsit, there's no logical reason for Public Mobile to use such a list other than to force customers to use certain devices.

@Phil_Adelphus wrote:

@Mneilson2019  According to Samsung, in Canada "Galaxy S20 FE 5G is compatible with mm/Wave and sub-6 (mmWave compatibility may vary by carrier). "  Doesn't mean much to me but might to someone else! 

Compatibily isn't suppose to vary by carrier, but ti does because of the way that Samsung programmed the software.  I can't say whether this was done at the request of Public Mobile/Telus or if Samsung did this on thier own, but there is no reason for this.   What's worse is how @will13am mentioned how Public Mobile sold this device before and advertised it as a 5G device.  Public Mobile and/or Samsung need to be held accountable, or at the very least, work with Samsung to get this device's software fixed. Unfortunately, that's unlikely as it's an older device.

@softech wrote:

@Mneilson2019 are you in the GTA area?

How does location matter?  It has been discussed in the community already, the S20 FE 5G is a 5G compatible device, but it is not whitelisted as such by this service.  

@BKNS27 wrote:

@Mneilson2019 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Mneilson2019 are you in the GTA area?

@Mneilson2019 

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Mneilson2019  According to Samsung, in Canada "Galaxy S20 FE 5G is compatible with mm/Wave and sub-6 (mmWave compatibility may vary by carrier). "  Doesn't mean much to me but might to someone else! 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Mneilson2019 

you should be able to manually select 5G from your network connections , if 5G is available to that device

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Mneilson2019 , sorry to tell you this, despite the capability of the hardware you will not receive 5G access on the Public Mobile service.  I purchased this phone from Public Mobile when they were selling pre-owned devices and have had no access to 5G.  Be thankful that VoLTE works.  

Need Help? Let's chat.