cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G not showing up

ipoz1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I signed up for a 5G plan (yesterday) and I have an unlocked Samsung S20 FE 5G phone.

I reset the network settings on my phone but under network settings and network mode the highest I can select is "LTE/WCDMA/GSM".  I am in a 5G area as well as confirmed by the map available.

I purchased my sim card from the Public Mobile Amazon store.

The symbol at the top of the screen only shows LTE, not 5G.

How do I fix get this fixed?

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10

abarouni2023
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes, the public mobile network does not support VOLTE and 5G on Samsung S20 FE 5G. Switch to other carriers. I switched to Freedom Mobile and their network supports VOLTE and 5G on this device. 

@Mas-Jedi  it’s definitely funny business . The s20 will show 5G with Telus just not PM with out changing the firmware see my thread 

here 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Samsung-s20-5G/td-p/1043088

Mas-Jedi

Not really about the model but he provider... see, even on Rogers I never had full 5G and I had S20 FE. But occasionally I'd having a 5G here and there.

Funny when I traveled to USA with fido on LTE, I received 5G roaming in the states (through a roaming partner of course).

So it's the development process. I believe we already have the frequency support on the device, it's the provider and coverage that works well, but not consistently.

Conclusion is, 5G is here but it's not stable yet as a new technology. But it is indeed getting better and better each day.

@Mas-Jedi  So far it seems it’s s20 line and beyond that have this issues displaying 5G from factory that I’ve seen . So having the newer models always helps 

Mas-Jedi

I am personally using S22 ultra that I got from Canada. It's the same original software and I update my software regularly to the latest firmware, because I'm a techie and want to know the latest and be useful and knowledgeable in that area.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hi @ipoz1 

Download this and feel free to take a screen shot and post it here.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.gworld&hl=en_CA&gl=US

@Mas-Jedi  What Samsung device do you have ? I’m guessing it’s a one of the newer Samsungs like the s23  Eva use that one has the proper firmware from factory to work with PM 

Mas-Jedi

Speaking from experience, and mentioning that I am writing on 5G...

It might not show 5G all the time, but the speed and efficiency is there. My network normally shows 4G or LTE but my speeds and reaponse time is way faster than I was with Fido.

Just to clarify 5G is still in development and is very spotty but it is honestly very stable once it's connected. 

Just keep the setting on the auto/5G/4G/LTE. I am also using a Samsung phone so it'll be on and off (for saving battery and type of usage) but it'll access 5G once it's needed.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ipoz1 , curious question, where was your phone sourced?  I am just trying to understand whether source matters considering that there is a Samsung ROM that works.  Note to self, avoid Samsung phones. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@ipoz1  Even thou your phone won’t show 5G please know that you will still get better speeds then 100mbs of a 4G plan being in a 5G plan with phone only showing 4G/LTE there is no real fix with out flashing firmware on your device to have it show 5G I just went thru this last week it’s Samsung /PM issue check out my thread and how to circumvent it here 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Samsung-s20-5G/td-p/1043088

Need Help? Let's chat.