cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G data drops to H+ when making phone call

Seikooc123
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

anyone expericing this issue? Is this normal?

when making outgoing phone calls , data icon changes from 5G to H+, speed drops to 8Mbps. 

data speed usually around 95Mbps on my 5G phone.

also my phone has dual physical SIM, when making phone calls with PM SIM card, PM data network drops to H+, the other SIM card's data network connects but no data! (both sim cards have 5G data plan)

18 REPLIES 18

@fujiyama wrote:

I'm guessing you have an android phone...? So this might work: https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/10wqlql/enable_volte_and_vowifi_without_root/

The github readme link there goes to the guide made by the creator with screenshots for various steps.

Note: it's stated that this won't work for all phones, but it has worked for some phones it's not designed for such as the Oneplus 12R. So YMMV, how it works for you👍

Unfortunately, it's not just a matter of VoLTE being enabled in the phone's software.  Public Mobile has to actually allow the device to use VoLTE.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I'm guessing you have an android phone...? So this might work: https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/10wqlql/enable_volte_and_vowifi_without_root/

The github readme link there goes to the guide made by the creator with screenshots for various steps.

Note: it's stated that this won't work for all phones, but it has worked for some phones it's not designed for such as the Oneplus 12R. So YMMV, how it works for you👍

Seikooc123

Thankd Denny & everyone for replying! indeed lots of useful info!

My phone has satellite services for real-time voice and two-way text messages. Also come with 5G SA/NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 7 support. 

the phone is compatiable for VoLTE and VoNR. But not in PM whitelist...would it possible for PM to whitelist it? So I can use the VoLTE feature. 

they offer this feature but restricts the devices, not everyone has /prefer those listed devices... sigh

@Seikooc123 Correct, your account is VoLTE but your phone is not compatible. Phone calls won't work in the US with that phone, unless you manage to find a 2G T-Mobile connection. Text and data should work fine though.

Seikooc123

ya, as in my original post, when wifi turned off, phone calls connects to H+, which is 3G or 3.75G.  So useless in theUSA.

According to VoLTE FAQs: "Customers who activated on the Public Mobile network after February 22, 2023 will automatically have their customer profile enabled with VoLTE (Voice over LTE). "

So my profile hould have it enabled, but phone is not whitelisted, then still cannot use in the States.

@Seikooc123 Not being on PM's VoLTE whitelist just may mean that you have to make phone calls on the 3G network, which will be problematic because the US shut their 3G networks down. You can verify this at home by turning off wifi and seeing if you stay connected to 4G or 5G while on a call. If yes, then you should have VoLTE (which also means phone calls should work in the US).

VoLTE has nothing to do with text and data, so you should be good there.

Do note though, that 5G roaming service on AT&T is not working, so I usually recommend people set their preferred network to 4G while in the US. If you're adamant on using 5G only, you'll want to manually connect to T-Mobile because that's the only workable 5G connection you'll be able to access in the US.

Seikooc123

ok sorry for the confusion, forget about VoNR vs VoLTE.

The point is whether I can use pm sim in the USA, voice call and data on 5G the same way as in CA. 

If my phone is not on PM whitelist, it means I can not make call or use data while in the USA?

@Seikooc123 I'm trying to understand why you think the service is useless in the US. I have a hard time wrapping my head around why the phone wouldn't be backwards compatible to be able to function on 4G/VoLTE while in the US. Like I said though, I'm quite ignorant about VoNR.

What phone are you using? Is it even on PM's VoLTE whitelist?

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

Seikooc123

VoNR is on 5G, VoLTE is on 4G, supposed to backward compitable, not sure.

just checked my phone spec, it supports dual sim dual standby and dual calling, which means it can pickup calls from sim2 while making calls on sim1

@Seikooc123 I don't know much about VoNR; is the device not backwards compatible with VoLTE?

Seikooc123

My phone has 5G turned on on both sim cards, and supports VoNR. (successor of VoLTE)

So its due to PM did not turn on the feature on the sim. 

This makes the CA+US  plan useless while in the USA.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Seikooc123, A “dual sim dual standby” phone can only have one active connection at a time. So if your phone is one of those, that would be why sim2 doesn't work when on a call using sim1.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

If you don't have a VoLTE phone (i.e. the ability to make calls on the LTE network), you drop down to 3G to make phone calls. This is especially problematic if you're travelling to the US, as they decommissioned their 3G networks already. Unfortunately PM has a pretty restrictive list of compatible phones:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

Seikooc123

but why it restricts other sim card's network???

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Seikooc123   What phone do you have?  It seems most phones on Public Mobile don't show a VoLTE toggle even when enabled but some do.  If you have a VoLTE toggle then turn it on.  Otherwise as already mentioned your phone probably  isn't enabled for VoLTE on Public Mobile.  Without VoLTE you would have problems with voice calls if you were roaming in the US.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @Seikooc123 because you have a no VoLTE approved phone and if was using 3G for voice 

@Seikooc123 wrote:

anyone expericing this issue? Is this normal?

when making outgoing phone calls , data icon changes from 5G to H+, speed drops to 8Mbps. 

data speed usually around 95Mbps on my 5G phone.

also my phone has dual physical SIM, when making phone calls with PM SIM card, PM data network drops to H+, the other SIM card's data network connects but no data! (both sim cards have 5G data plan)

This means that during these phone calls, your device wasn't using VoLTE.  Unfortunately, Public Mobile only allows VoLTE on a select number o devices.

Awilson3342
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I always find my phones do this, no matter what carrier im on. I dont know why it happens but id say its likely normal.

Need Help? Let's chat.