cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G plan speed

S267
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My 4G phone only shows that it is connected to the slower LTE network, never 4G. Why?

14 REPLIES 14

@S267 

if the nice member was just private messaged you, please encourage him to participate and post his reply here 🙂

But I told him this info already, too.  I told you that you won't get "  well over 100 Mbps because:

If you have a 4G speed plan, you can get up to 100mbps on either 5G or 4G networks.

Can you confirm if you tested 5G network yet??

@S267 wrote:

I was recently informed by a more helpful member-

There is marketing speed and there is the actual network.

This place is all about marketing speed, not the network.

If you have a 5G speed plan, you can get up to 250mbps on either 5G or 4G networks.
If you have a 4G speed plan, you can get up to 100mbps on either 5G or 4G networks.
If you have a 3G speed plan, you can get up to 3mbps on either 5G or 4G networks. 
If you decide to connect to the 3G/HSPA network then you can actually get some unthrottled speed which might get you in the teens-mbps.

@S267 who was that helpful member?? did he send the info to your only by private message???

S267

I was recently informed by a more helpful member-

There is marketing speed and there is the actual network.

This place is all about marketing speed, not the network.

If you have a 5G speed plan, you can get up to 250mbps on either 5G or 4G networks.
If you have a 4G speed plan, you can get up to 100mbps on either 5G or 4G networks.
If you have a 3G speed plan, you can get up to 3mbps on either 5G or 4G networks. 
If you decide to connect to the 3G/HSPA network then you can actually get some unthrottled speed which might get you in the teens-mbps.

@S267 wrote:

Regardless of what is displayed on my phone, the phone should be getting well over 100 Mbps

hi @S267 

if you have a 4G plan, it won't get " well over 100 Mbps", it will be close but not over.  4G speed plan capped at 100Mbps

you tried 5G?. which iPhone you have?? OS and Carrier profile version??

S267

Regardless of what is displayed on my phone, the phone should be getting well over 100 Mbps

@S267 wrote:

Slow network speed and the change to rewards only lead me to feel a change in providers is neccessary. Public Mobile stole my benefits/discounts. I will not promote Public Mobile anymore. I will change once my plan expires...

Thanks for trying to make me feel 4G is slow and is the same as LTE...

@S267 

No Canadian provider have a different LTE and 4G networks.  All Canadian providers refer to 4G and LTE as the same network. And same with your phone, you either see 4G or LTE depends on the OS , and mainly the region of the OS, you have

@S267 wrote:

4G speeds are upto 1000 Mbps. I can't even reach 50 Mbps. Regardless of what is displayed on my phone, the phone should be getting well over 100 Mbps. You want screenshots to prove I am not a liar??

@S267no, of course I trust you. Just that you didn't say how fast the speed is earlier, you just said not close to 100.

what iPhone is that?? does it had 5G?? you tried??

and you tried Reset Network Settings on your phone?? it helps

and latest iOS and Carrier Profile?? tested in different area and no difference in speed??

S267

Slow network speed and the change to rewards only lead me to feel a change in providers is neccessary. Public Mobile stole my benefits/discounts. I will not promote Public Mobile anymore. I will change once my plan expires...

S267

4G speeds are upto 1000 Mbps. I can't even reach 50 Mbps. Regardless of what is displayed on my phone, the phone should be getting well over 100 Mbps. You want screenshots to prove I am not a liar??

@S267 wrote:

LTE-A and LTE are way different. My phone is 4g capable, doesn't matter which one. Speeds come in at under 100 Mbps (not even close to 100 Mbps ever). Reset network, rebooted iPhone, tested in many different areas from Vancouver to the Okanagan and never 4G or LTE-A. Always slow...

@S267 the technology are slightly different but it is the phone OS (and the country you got from) that determines whether it show 4G or LTE.  In North America , it is mainly a true LTE network and not 4G network like the one in Europe.  And I don't think you will see phone shows both 4G and LTE as a choice for you.  It is not the phone provider that determines the 4G or LTE , it is your phone itself 

At least in Canadian market, whether the phone shoes  4G or LTE, it is the same network. There are bands and coverage issue that affects your speed. But not reallly a LTE or 4G difference 

If you have an iPhone, make sure your iOS is updated, your Carrier Profile is updated.  And although you have a 4G plan, you can still access the 5G network, just speed will be cappef by your plan speed, 100 Mbps

Also. can your post a screenshot of your speed with speed test app?? test both LTE and 5G network 

S267

LTE-A and LTE are way different. My phone is 4g capable, doesn't matter which one. Speeds come in at under 100 Mbps (not even close to 100 Mbps ever). Reset network, rebooted iPhone, tested in many different areas from Vancouver to the Okanagan and never 4G or LTE-A. Always slow...

hi @S267 they are the same. At least on the phone setup, some phones use the term 4G some use LTE.  If you cannot get a good speed , it is surely not because you connected to LTE and not 4G

can you tell us ehat speed you getting?? but try Reset All Networks first.

and tell us what phone you have

S267

They are not the same. 4G is faster than LTE : (

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@S267 

4G = LTE They are both the same.

Need Help? Let's chat.